Boats!

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
So a German Assault boat has an inherent driver meaning that it can move 4 hexes regardless of the number/status of its passengers.

I assume that this does not include reducing the boats MP for the movement of the squad prior to loading, yes? So if a non-CX MMC moves 1 MF into a hex containing an assault boat beached on a water obstacle hexside, then another MF to mount the boat, the remaining 2 MF (50%) are used to propel the boat 2 MP? Or can they hop on and then the boat drives 4 MP?

Trying to get my head around all this in prep for Dinant...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
So a German Assault boat has an inherent driver meaning that it can move 4 hexes regardless of the number/status of its passengers.

I assume that this does not include reducing the boats MP for the movement of the squad prior to loading, yes? So if a non-CX MMC moves 1 MF into a hex containing an assault boat beached on a water obstacle hexside, then another MF to mount the boat, the remaining 2 MF (50%) are used to propel the boat 2 MP? Or can they hop on and then the boat drives 4 MP?
E5.21 "Each remaining MF can then be used to power ¼ of the boat's water MP allotment (FRD)."

JR

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The use of the word "power" kinda tripped me up there, but it's certainly consistent with the rest of the loading/unloading rules.

Ok, so next question. Once on the boat, the entry into the first water obstacle hex is free as unbeaching happens, and the occupants are placed in a cloaking box. So until the boat beaches, any attack against it is handled per E5.5x. So what statuses (besides CX, I suppose), could a boat passenger have? Assuming it's raft doesn't sink, it can't take any MC/TC, so can't really acquire any new status as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the help!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The use of the word "power" kinda tripped me up there, but it's certainly consistent with the rest of the loading/unloading rules.
Like many other chapter e rules, the boat rules were not necessarily polished when published. The writer probably had in mind boats propelled with paddles, but it works out because boats with their own motors are not excluded

So what statuses (besides CX, I suppose), could a boat passenger have? Assuming it's raft doesn't sink, it can't take any MC/TC, so can't really acquire any new status as far as I can tell.
They can be fanatic or heroic. Is there some specific reason you are interested in statuses? The chapter e rules again are not fully baked. For instance it's possible voluntary break is allowed. In shallow water the units might want to rout out of their "vehicle." It's not clear that this is allowed, and it's very not clear what would happen if they were in deep water.

JR

Last edited:

phlegm027

Reaction score
NRBH but check out the Dinant Rules for rafts, boats and ferries. You pay a MP to unbeach (As per DN 2.11 (beachable hexsides) & 3.11 River Assault)

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
They can be fanatic or heroic. Is there some specific reason you are interested in statuses? The chapter e rules again are not fully baked. For instance it's possible voluntary break is allowed. In shallow water the units might want to rout out of their "vehicle." It's not clear that this is allowed, and it's very not clear what would happen if they were in deep water.
JR
No, just seeing it in the rule and wondering why it is there, beyond Ch E's need for re-write.

NRBH but check out the Dinant Rules for rafts, boats and ferries. You pay a MP to unbeach (As per DN 2.11 (beachable hexsides) & 3.11 River Assault)
Ah yes, good catch! I notice, however, that unloading is not similarly penalized.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah yes, good catch! I notice, however, that unloading is not similarly penalized.
That is correct and deliberate. A water craft of any type is never moving slower than when it first launches. If ever there was a spot in its journey to penalize it a MP, it is at launch. Moving to the shore, the raft/boat already has momentum and the cessation of that momentum did not seem sufficient to justify changing the existant rule. Add to that the fact the sides of the Meuse are a bit treacherous to be launching from in the first place and the one MP to get going made sense.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That is correct and deliberate. A water craft of any type is never moving slower than when it first launches. If ever there was a spot in its journey to penalize it a MP, it is at launch. Moving to the shore, the raft/boat already has momentum and the cessation of that momentum did not seem sufficient to justify changing the existant rule. Add to that the fact the sides of the Meuse are a bit treacherous to be launching from in the first place and the one MP to get going made sense.
You are a bunch of revisionist rebels, clearly. In an official product, too!

Last edited by a moderator:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are a bunch of revisionist rebels, clearly. In an official product, too!
Peter did you edit your post to remove ref. to a US president? Or did some one ask you to do that?....Or did the mods. do it cold? Or did they notify you they planned to do it?

Your post is missing its last line from earlier today when I read it....

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Peter did you edit your post to remove ref. to a US president? Or did some one ask you to do that?....Or did the mods. do it cold? Or did they notify you they planned to do it?

Your post is missing its last line from earlier today when I read it....
Bottom right corner, "Last edited by moderator". It may be time for a revolution. That, or just go someplace else. -- jim

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Bottom right corner, "Last edited by moderator". It may be time for a revolution. That, or just go someplace else. -- jim
It's a solution that won't scale well. Plus, maybe they can start correcting grammar and rules problems.

JR

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
It's a solution that won't scale well. Plus, maybe they can start correcting grammar and rules problems.

JR
If we all suddenly just started posting political affirmations, perhaps we could keep busy. I'll start:

BREXIT. -- jim

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I do of course fully agree with Carl and the folks who designed Dinant.

The "free" move from Beached along the shore to the middle of the water hex was always a real aberration in terms of ASL rules.......

Last edited:

phlegm027

Reaction score
As Ca;rl stated loading and unbeaching is more time consuming than just beaching a raft or boat. The reason we added the extra MP to unbeaching is simple. It would be impossible to get a squad into rafts and get across the Meuse in one turn most anywhere near Dinsnt. As you can see it’’s not really a “beach”. Rather the riverbank is a couple of feet above the water in most places.

Attachments

phlegm027

Reaction score
Revisionists are everywhere.....
We didn’t make one change to the ASLRB. DInant has SSR that effect the 11 scenarios and the CG. We purposely tried to use the ASLRB as written.

There were only 3 Major SSR’s that modify the ASLRB for Dinant play.
  1. The prohibition on ending an AFV’S MPh in a hex containing an enemy unit. No VBM Freeze,
  2. +1 to all Star shells
  3. +1MP to unbeaching.
Other than these 3 SSR you play Dinant with the ASLRB pretty much as written. We had to write the bridge building and Rommel Rules. We worked hard at not making Dinant any more complex than the situation is. Carl, Klas, JR and Perry were key in correcting my un ASL language in the scenarios and DN SSR’s.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
There were only 3 Major SSR’s that modify the ASLRB for Dinant play.
  1. The prohibition on ending an AFV’S MPh in a hex containing an enemy unit. No VBM Freeze,
I don't have my copy of CdG2 yet...

Is this SSR justified by a special circumstance in the Dinant operation, or should this be considered a grudge rule?