Setting up concealed in foxhole

Andy Bagley

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A2.9 allows me to initially set up a foxhole on-board rather than HIP, so that my opponent cannot inspect its contents until he has LOS. If the unit(s) in the foxhole is also concealed (assuming this is concealment terrain), can I put the '?' counter under the foxhole counter as well, so that my opponent does not know this unit is concealed - or even how many real units are there - until he has LOS. Or does the concealment counter have to be placed on top of the foxhole in this situation?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
A foxhole set up hidden in Concealment Terrain will normally be revealed as soon as an enemy gains a LOS to it.

A12.33:
"Fortifications in Concealment Terrain may always set up hidden and remain hidden until use of its protective TEM is claimed, or a unit therein loses its concealment, or a Good Order enemy ground unit gains a LOS to its Location and is within 16 hexes."

Exception at Night or in certina PTO Terrain.

Andy Bagley

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks, this is helpful. Yes, A12.33 says fortifications may set up HIP but doesn't say they have to. Normally of course I would do this, and reveal them only when obliged to by this rule. But occasionally I might want my opponent to think I have, for example, a squad + HMG in the hex when all I actually have is a half-squad and a '?'. This deception obviously works better if the fortification can be place on board to hide (temporarily at least) what is underneath it, so it's good that this is OK.

Of course, whether this plan is actually a good idea is a different question...!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty sure the concealment would necessarily be beneath the fortification counter, "12.11 KNOWN/DUMMY ENEMY UNIT: A unit or stack of units beneath a "?" is not a Known enemy unit ..." as the fortification counter is not a unit in ASL terms. As Klas has pointed out a fortification counter set up out of LOS [EXC: Night, PTO or per SSR] may always have the option of setting up concealed but the player has the right to set it up unconceled if they wish.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also a useful ploy to setup in or out of concealment terrain when the units do not have ? counters in the mix to hide whether the unit has a SW, whether it is two units (two counter stack and a MMC or SMC on top), etc. "May" is the critical word.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also a useful ploy to setup in or out of concealment terrain when the units do not have ? counters in the mix to hide whether the unit has a SW, whether it is two units (two counter stack and a MMC or SMC on top), etc. "May" is the critical word.
Not only SW and Infantry but if you happen to have trenches can also set up vehicles/guns beneath them.