DASL 34 To The Last Man

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
DASL 34 To The Last Man (GD-A redo) was fun as a three player scenario. Fanatic TW volunteered to take the ss defenders in Budapest v. Sven and I as the Russians attacking from opposite ends of deluxe boards b, a, c, & d

the original scenario is 36:11 Russian on ROAR and no playings logged for this newer version. not sure what all was changed but it was not enough. even the ss balance of one less turn would not have helped Ted in our playing

the ss are a tough bunch of (8x) 6-5-8's, (12x) 5-4-8's, (2x) HMG's, (4x) MMG's, (6x) LMG's, (4xPSK), (2x) 75L AT, JPz, (2x) Pz IV, (20x)?, (6x) fortified locations, and (3x) roadblocks. but they are sandwiched between two great hoards of soviets. Steve, being better with the artillery, took the west group of Russians consisting of (10x) 4-4-7's, (9x) 5-2-7's, an HMG, (2x) MMG's, (3x) LMG's, (3x) IS 122L AFV, and the field phone for 120 OBA. I took the east group of Russians with (10x) 6-2-8's, (10x) 4-5-8, a .50, a HMG, (3x) MMG's, (4x) LMG's, (3x) DC's, a FT, (3x) SU 85's (they have SMOKE!), (2x) IS AFV's

Sven got a good artillery mission cooked up by our turn two and blasted a bunch of ss men while he assaulted the first line of ss defenders. the Russians quickly moved into CC and over the first two CC phases crushed the ss front line in three brutal CC's

the Russian on the east side moved forward pushing the ss back. the Russians took heavy casualties but used their heavy firepower to force the ss back. the ss just do not have enough. some exciting stuff and fun ASL. the ss got a hero (but he died), a Russian half squad destroyed an AFV with a placed DC, German AFV first movement attempt SSR immobilized, high ss SAN finally got a Russian 8-1, a berserking ss squad was blown to pink mist by a shot from a 122L, H-t-H CC's, and seemed like both sides got a lot of rate shots as the casualties for both sides were quite high

the Russians pounded their way forward grabbing VC buildings and crushed the ss into ever smaller pockets. by turn five (of eight) the two Russian groups had made contact with each other in the far north and far south ends. Ted's ss had very little left in two pockets. the Russians had plenty of men and plenty of time so Ted conceded turn 5. Russian win

this was a fun scenario for fun between friends and we had a blast playing it. good three player scenario with lots of toys for all. however, it seems pretty tough for the ss. they just cannot stand up to the hoards of Russians pressing from two sides. I do not know what changes were made from the original but the ss could still use more help. but, if you got two friends and someone don't mind getting smacked around as the ss give this one a go. good times

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
At first blush, the new German balance is better than requiring the Reds to gain an extra (building) point. But as you say, holding on for seven turns is a real challenge in the face of Soviet OBA and numbers. What's more, it's hard to see what the SS would have left to counterattack with on German T7 (or T8, for that matter).

Curious, are the 5-4-8s treated as SS by SSR in the updated version?

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
At first blush, the new German balance is better than requiring the Reds to gain an extra (building) point. But as you say, holding on for seven turns is a real challenge in the face of Soviet OBA and numbers. What's more, it's hard to see what the SS would have left to counterattack with on German T7 (or T8, for that matter).

Curious, are the 5-4-8s treated as SS by SSR in the updated version?
SSR 5-4-8's are ss

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks Keith.

Edit: Had to take a quick shovel break. Plow just left an ice boulder in front of my drive. :(

It's been a few decades since I last played "To the Last Man," but I wonder how many losses recorded on ROAR can be attributed to the 5-4-8s/2-3-8s not being treated as having an increased broken ML. Pretty sure that we treated them as standard 5-4-8s/2-3-8s, albeit with an ELR of 5, although no doubt some were Replaced with 4-4-7/2-3-7 during the course of eight turns.

But as Klas's post #5 shows, the Germans have been given a leg up on several fronts. An underscored Morale Factor keeps 4-4-7s out of play, while the downgrading of two IS-2m to IS-2 makes them more vulnerable to the PSK. (Not sure if there is a typo in the amendments, but in the original, all Russian forces set up on board. It now looks like at least two Russian AFV enter from offboard.)

And if, as Klas's point re SSR 7 suggests, the German no longer suffer from Ammunition Shortage, the Germans are indeed much better off now.

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Full list of update changes:

GD-A To The Last Man (DASL 34): In SSR 4, at the end, add “German 5-4-8s/2-3-8s are SS (A25.11), and as such have their broken side Morale Level increased by one. Their Morale Factor is considered underscored.”. Replace SSR 7 with: “7. German AFV do not suffer Recall due to MA disablement; treat a Recall due to attack effects (D5.341-.342) as a Stun result only, and are abandoned after a second Stun result.”. Exchange the two IS-2ms that enter along the east edge for two IS-2s.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
(Not sure if there is a typo in the amendments, but in the original, all Russian forces set up on board. It now looks like at least two Russian AFV enter from offboard.)

And if, as Klas's point re SSR 7 suggests, the German no longer suffer from Ammunition Shortage, the Germans are indeed much better off now.
The Russian AFVs never started on board, it only looked like they did. Due to layout issues (I’m pretty sure), their entrance was buried in an SSR.

And no Ammo Shortage is a big deal.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
SSR 2 from the original scenario:
2. The Russian AFV must set up offboard awaiting entry of their respective edges on turn 1.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The Russian AFVs never started on board, it only looked like they did. Due to layout issues (I’m pretty sure), their entrance was buried in an SSR.
Back from my (stationary) bike ride to see I missed that SSR. :oops:

Must have read the set-up instructions three or four times after seeing Klas's first post, and editing my second post. :rolleyes:

Agreed, as noted in post 4. It's huge, especially for the SW, Guns, and AFV B#/X#.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

we wondered about that while we were setting up. the ss need even more help. we were almost starting to feel bad about the beat down we were giving poor Ted. almost

FanaticTW

World Famous in Maine
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Its certainly a tough row to Hoe for the SS... BUT that increased Broken side Morale facilitated MANY rallies.. and kept the Gemans in the fight longer. I LOVE this scenario...

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Its certainly a tough row to Hoe for the SS... BUT that increased Broken side Morale facilitated MANY rallies.. and kept the Gemans in the fight longer. I LOVE this scenario...
When you find yourself in a Maine and New Hampshire sandwich, it also helps to be Fanatic. ;)

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"a Maine and New Hampshire sandwich"? A lobster roll with apple cider donuts?

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Going to play this on Thursday and allowing my opponent three weeks to devise the perfect defense. I don't fancy hunting for hipsters and fortified locations :) Anyhow never played this classic and looking forward to it.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Going to play this on Thursday and allowing my opponent three weeks to devise the perfect defense. I don't fancy hunting for hipsters and fortified locations :) Anyhow never played this classic and looking forward to it.
Ted made good use of tunnel exchange for fortified location. very sneaky

FanaticTW

World Famous in Maine
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You'll love it!... bleed those Russkies white...

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Perfect scenario for 3 player gaming.

I've never won as German playing against a single Russian opponent.

I've never lost as the German playing against a Russian team of two.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Perfect scenario for 3 player gaming.

I've never won as German playing against a single Russian opponent.

I've never lost as the German playing against a Russian team of two.
me & sven will take you on :)

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Hi guys, if you MAINE-iacs are ever vacationing in the Berkshires in the good weather, I just moved and have a house and a game room now and can host 2 or 3 games in Pittsfield MA, would love to see you here some day. At the very least I am hoping to make the Albany tournament and would love to play any of you there. :) Have FUN at the Nor'easter, not in the cards for me at this point, our coffers are drained.

To the Last Man has always been tough on the SS, seems a little less so now but still pretty pro Russian, not sure how to balance it out but the basic design seems to cry for a fix, Vic.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To the Last Man has always been tough on the SS, seems a little less so now but still pretty pro Russian, not sure how to balance it out but the basic design seems to cry for a fix, Vic.
Seems a little soon to make that call.