Newb Review of Croix de Guerre

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I can't believe the Lend Lease vehicles are still not in French blue!

Seriously?

Seth
If the infantry is in US green or Commonwealth tan, and ditto ordnance and SW, why would the vehicles be different? Free French in 1944-45 use the US/British countermix, no? To reflect the fact they had US/CW small arms, organization and training.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the infantry is in US green or Commonwealth tan, and ditto ordnance and SW, why would the vehicles be different? Free French in 1944-45 use the US/British countermix, no? To reflect the fact they had US/CW small arms, organization and training.
Personally, I would have originally preferred all my Free French counters in French blue, but I can see where that would have duplicated too many counters.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
No. Free French are now blue
Cool, thanks. I wasn't sure if that meant just the mid-war guys, or also the 44/45 when they were equipped by the US and Brits. I suppose using the US/CW counters means they also get stuff like exemption to Cowering, higher broken side morale, etc. which would be inappropriate to the French.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
All Free French 1/2" counters should now be in French blue. Guns and Vehicles included (i.e., those from the original CdG) are still in British or American color. Had those been made in French blue as well, alot of other Guns/Vehicles - from WoA/FKaC/Yanks - that the Free French used would have had to be provided in French blue as well.

Not sure if that would have added 1, 1.5, or, 2 more countersheets.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
All Free French 1/2" counters should now be in French blue. Guns and Vehicles included (i.e., those from the original CdG) are still in British or American color. Had those been made in French blue as well, alot of other Guns/Vehicles - from WoA/FKaC/Yanks - that the Free French used would have had to be provided in French blue as well.

Gotta leave something for Broken Ground to do.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Gotta leave something for Broken Ground to do.
Well they could have been included - I count 40 types of vehicles and 14 types of Guns used by the Free French that would have had to be included as well.

A full 5/8" countersheet holds 176 counters. So 176 / (40+14) = 3.2 in average of each type would have fit into one additional countersheet. But it's rather a moot point now. :)

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

And so that's where I'm confused about the utility of these counters. In any FF scenario that can use the new blue FF counters that include guns/vehicles, the guns/vehicles are in British or US colors. My inner French arteest cries out in pain.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
And so that's where I'm confused about the utility of these counters. In any FF scenario that can use the new blue FF counters that include guns/vehicles, the guns/vehicles are in British or US colors. My inner French arteest cries out in pain.
If those Guns/Vehicles are in British color, you can still use the British SMC/MMC/SW/etc. counter as before to alleviate the pain. :)

As for American-colored Guns/Vehciles - I guess the situations is as before - more-or-less.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I shall smoke a gauloises and visit one of my mistresses then. For there is no other surcease for the pain.

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I figured that if the FF infantry was now in blue why not the vehicles. But I guess only some US and British vehicles are included in CdG. It's been a long time since I have used any French vehicles that were not actually French. And have not paid much attention to the US/British versions when playing Free French scenarios using British infantry. In fact I have probably played FF scenarios using the actual British versions of the FF British colored vehicles without even looking at the FF British vehicle counters that are in British colors.

Seth

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I figured that if the FF infantry was now in blue why not the vehicles. But I guess only some US and British vehicles are included in CdG.
Correct. The rest has always come from WoA/FKaC/Yanks - including those would (by my estimate) add another full countersheet. Not that's not saying it could not have been done.

phlegm027

Reaction score
"An unpinned, unwounded, Good Order Rommel"

Holy Mother of T-34s, how many Rommels are there in the game?
17. That was the absolute minimum we would accept.
Carl wanted 51 but settled for 2,403 Opel Blitz trucks over the next 3 modules
Nadir wants to Do a Rommel comic book. We’re gonna let him.