Update on Desperation Morale Update

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wasn't making any argument, just presenting data (just for clarity).
Dave, Correct me if I am wrong...but you can rate a scenario on scenario archive without playing it...right? Not sure how...but I do see some scenarios with three (or more) ratings and only one playing.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Dave, Correct me if I am wrong...but you can rate a scenario on scenario archive without playing it...right? Not sure how...but I do see some scenarios with three (or more) ratings and only one playing.
Yes, Dave said that in one of the videos, a person can rate a scenario without playing it. I think he said it was a 1 (poor) to 10 (excellent) point system. I think Patrons of the Archive can see his 'Beta' re-build of the website, which has these additional functions.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, but so what? I don't think anyone believes that all CH products ever published have been uniformly 100% awful. There are plenty of real examples to prove otherwise.

The point is that the chances of anything that CH publishes now being any good is very, very poor. The CH publishing model (no playtesting, making arbitrary and untested changes to reprints, no attempts to actually solve problems, put the blame for any rules issues on the customers not being sufficiently "open minded") in fact guarantees that poor quality is the expected end result. Anything that CH have published recently is only actually good by accident, and at the current CH price points can very rarely even be considered "good value".

You'd think that people who learn and play ASL would be of above-average intelligence. The fact that CH continues to survive in what must be a relatively difficult market suggests otherwise.
Yes Bruce, when you subtract every other sentence in my statement it looks like I am sticking up for CH. Good job. Now go take a midol and relax.

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I play more solo than FTF, and use the archive rating system to both keep track of what I have played and my (numerical) feelings about the scenarios. I don't report solo playings.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If you are logged in to the archive (I know it's a pain it doesn't remember you - but that will all change in a couple of days!) you're able to rate the scenario without playing it.

There's technically no difference between a rating without playing and one with playing - but the idea was that you can think a scenario is great and yet the actual playing wasn't enjoyable (maybe there's a key gun that malfunctions on its first shot or some-such) - or maybe your opponent just wasn't that much fun.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Another metric that may reveal insights would be the number of AARs posted on the internet. How many Critical Hit scenario AARs have been posted in comparison with BFP, Sherry Enterprises, Dispatches from the Bunker, LCP, Friendly Fire, LFT, etc. scenarios. Since Critical Hit has so many more published scenarios it would be reasonable to expect they would have a significant number of, if not a majority of, posted AARs.

I'm too busy myself to collect the data. A sampling from last year and, say, five years ago would probably be indicative of popularity and quality (how many players are willing to submit an AAR they would consider of low quality when they could be playing the next chosen scenario?).

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't see the point of going by player ratings of a scenario. I've read lots of CH AARs and Product Reviews that talk about things that would bug the crap out of me, but eventually wrap up saying "I had fun". Well, good on you, mate. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, but you made the choice and you had fun. To each his own.

But yeah, I appreciate word-of-mouth cautionary tales from others and I think it's OK if one's reputation comes back to help or hinder them in the future. I also like supporting the Good Guys.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Another metric that may reveal insights would be the number of AARs posted on the internet. How many Critical Hit scenario AARs have been posted in comparison with BFP, Sherry Enterprises, Dispatches from the Bunker, LCP, Friendly Fire, LFT, etc. scenarios. Since Critical Hit has so many more published scenarios it would be reasonable to expect they would have a significant number of, if not a majority of, posted AARs.

I'm too busy myself to collect the data. A sampling from last year and, say, five years ago would probably be indicative of popularity and quality (how many players are willing to submit an AAR they would consider of low quality when they could be playing the next chosen scenario?).
If there is a significant stigma attached to supporting Critical Hit, why would anyone bother to post a public AAR? Wouldn't a rational person conclude that few people would be interested in reading it, and thus not bother?

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If there is a significant stigma attached to supporting Critical Hit, why would anyone bother to post a public AAR? Wouldn't a rational person conclude that few people would be interested in reading it, and thus not bother?
Good point.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I played a dang good scenario CH18 Raging Furnace from Critical Hit. Blogged it here : https://hongkongwargamer.com/2018/05/26/ch18-raging-furnace/

I think the "difficulty" of CH is being able to get pass "Cri.." when your opponent ask "So, what next?" without the skies going all dark on you. Hence a lot of them are probably played solo by tinkerers who are happy to fudge over the gaps as they go along, not quite the stuff for AARs.

Jumbo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played a dang good scenario CH18 Raging Furnace from Critical Hit. Blogged it here : https://hongkongwargamer.com/2018/05/26/ch18-raging-furnace/

I think the "difficulty" of CH is being able to get pass "Cri.." when your opponent ask "So, what next?" without the skies going all dark on you. Hence a lot of them are probably played solo by tinkerers who are happy to fudge over the gaps as they go along, not quite the stuff for AARs.
Really great scenario.
I remember playing this around twenty-five (25) years ago.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
People forget the job CH does inmpresenting situations that are not covered by the rukes so raising interesting questions like, is a Ford in a frigid shallow stream enough to cause elr replacement?
I'm fortunate enough to get some play as a buddy buys sets he is interested in.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
People forget the job CH does inmpresenting situations that are not covered by the rukes so raising interesting questions like, is a Ford in a frigid shallow stream enough to cause elr replacement?
I'm fortunate enough to get some play as a buddy buys sets he is interested in.
More brogue here on GS too :)

Friends don't let friends use phone key boards or auto-correct. -- jim

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Really great scenario.
I remember playing this around twenty-five (25) years ago.
Thank you. I was immensely proud of those first two issues of CH magazine. We used most of my contacts from my time at Fire For Effect for a lot of that material.

Unfortunately, those were the only two products I was a part of. Our philosophies were too different. I gave all my FFE contributors t-shirts with the FFE logo to thank them for their work. He wanted (and did) sell the t-shirts instead. I promised subscribers a free updated index. He wanted to charge $5 for it. See where this is going?

He slowly but surely burned all the bridges I had built up with my contributors and many others. Back then he even started using fake names for designers to make it look like we had a diverse group. I am truly surprised Dave Lamb lasted as long as he did, but I’m happy to see he has joined Bounding Fire, so I can now enjoy his work.

Jumbo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you. I was immensely proud of those first two issues of CH magazine. We used most of my contacts from my time at Fire For Effect for a lot of that material.

Unfortunately, those were the only two products I was a part of. Our philosophies were too different. I gave all my FFE contributors t-shirts with the FFE logo to thank them for their work. He wanted (and did) sell the t-shirts instead. I promised subscribers a free updated index. He wanted to charge $5 for it. See where this is going?

He slowly but surely burned all the bridges I had built up with my contributors and many others. Back then he even started using fake names for designers to make it look like we had a diverse group. I am truly surprised Dave Lamb lasted as long as he did, but I’m happy to see he has joined Bounding Fire, so I can now enjoy his work.
You are welcome, and you have much to be proud of. Even now, I remember the excitement of all of those scenarios and articles (thank you, Pete Mudge!!), and I feel the pull to set any one of them up and play. You did a great job.

He really is a piece of work. Delights in sneering at and insulting every one around him, yet, if his ass stops being kissed for one nanosecond,
he goes ballistic, picks up his ball, and runs home.
And, god forbid, one word of criticism... is met with spasmodic reactions that border on hysteria.
His contempt for those who contribute to him is really chilling. Having heard it expressed, directly, is an awful experience.
He absolutely hates, despises and has utter contempt for his customers, as well as for his contributors.
Amazing that anyone buys from him.
I am sorry for your experience with... that.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Yes Bruce, when you subtract every other sentence in my statement it looks like I am sticking up for CH. Good job. Now go take a midol and relax.
I wasn't addressing "every other sentence", and in no way did I suggest that you were "sticking up for CH". You made a silly and pointless comment to lead off what was otherwise a perfectly reasonable post (for what reason, I have no idea) and that was what I was addressing.

Why does everyone around here think that they're a psychiatrist these days? Spend less time dreaming about prescriptions and more time concentrating on what you say and what people say to you in return.