Newb Review of Croix de Guerre

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Oh come on...Rommel should be a 10-3. If anyone deserves that status then it is him.
The most over-rated general of the war? Even if one believes the hype about his abilities as a general, what does that have to do with rallying sulkers in a front-line firefight?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
From the DN SSR:
"An unpinned, unwounded, Good Order Rommel increases the Morale Level (A.18) of all other Friendly Infantry/Cavalry units within two hexes by one, while prohibiting the application of another leader’s DRM to morale activities in the same Location as Rommel. Rommel may not direct IFT or TH attacks."
That makes some sense, I like it. Nothing a dogface likes better than seeing an officer sharing the hazards with him.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To summarize generally regarding the Rommel counter.

Rommel upon arriving on morning inspections came upon a first crossing attempt that had been largely repulsed. Only a shot up company had made it across the Meuse and there was no impetus for a second try. He sent back for two 105's and armor support and used that for suppressing fire on the far bank. He ordered a second crossing, which under the suppressing fire and the targeted burning of buildings to generate an impromptu smoke screen, worked. Rommel did not have any smoke generating apparatus for a crossing, a fact he lamented in letters home to his wife, and so had to improvise. Also, for reasons we were unable to directly ascertain, he did not utilize the equivalent of OBA Smoke or even any noted instances of direct fire smoke screens. He also crossed to the far bank that morning on at least two occasions.

Also during that busy morning he directly changed the building of an 8 ton Pontoon Bridge to a 16 ton Pontoon Bridge in mid-construction. He knew he could get heavier armor across a 16 ton Pontoon and no doubt drew curses behind his back from the impacted Assault Engineers. He and his chief adjutant were strafed by a friendly aircraft, almost ending his career right there. Once satisfied with the second crossing he ran up to Hou briefly to see if the crossing of the 5th Panzer, which was attached to him at this time, was going well. It was.

He then headed back to Dinant, crossed to the far bank again and remained there. The next day, he was almost killed while looking at French defenses outside of Onhaye through the periscope of one of the rare MKIII's in 7th Panzer. The tank was struck by French ATG fire and in game terms, wrecked. He sustained cuts on his face from the periscope glass being blown back into his face and one of his subordinates in the tank lost an arm. The MkIII's driver hit the gas and drove into a ditch where the vehicle fell on it's side. After popping smoke dischargers, the occupants, including Rommel scrambled out. Rommel was stitched up in the same Inn that Dan Dolan, the chief designer of Dinant, would visit a couple of years ago. The inn keeper showed him family photos (His father owned the Inn at the time of the crossing) of Rommel being attended to and of the crossing. Sadly, we have been unable to obtain those photos to date. With the Inn Keepers permission, we might be able to share them for a future article.

To get back to our design conclusions regarding Rommel. He was definitely a source of impetus to the German assault in this sector and showed considerable improvisation and physical courage. Indications are that his men loved him for it. He was however, operating at an overseeing project manager level. Assessing the situation and determining what was needed where, to keep things moving. For this reason, while he raises morale level within 2 hexes of his position, and aids in the completion of engineering tasks such as Ferry, Pontoon Bridge and Pulley construction, (simulating his aides overseeing his instructions for same) he does not have the ability to direct fire and so forth, as that simply was below the level of what he was doing.

If Rommel dies/is captured during the CG, the Germans lose 10 CPP from the next CG date and 5 thereafter to simulate the loss of impetus to the assault in general. The German high command was not entirely enamored of the new approach of deep penetrations with exposed flanks and very likely would have throttled back any replacement of Rommel's. Also, German ELR drops by one permanently. Lastly, all personnel within 2 have a LLMC to take. Live by the Rommel, die by the Rommel.

Last edited:

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also, for reasons we were unable to directly ascertain, he did not utilize the equivalent of OBA Smoke or even any noted instances of direct fire smoke screens.
Erwin Rommel. Style Points, 1940.

g_young

Reaction score

Rommel upon arriving on morning inspections came upon a first crossing attempt that had been largely repulsed. Only a shot up company had made it across the Meuse and there was no impetus for a second try. He sent back for two 105's and armor support and used that for suppressing fire on the far bank. He ordered a second crossing, which under the suppressing fire and the targeted burning of buildings to generate an impromptu smoke screen, worked. Rommel did not have any smoke generating apparatus for a crossing, a fact he lamented in letters home to his wife, and so had to improvise. Also, for reasons we were unable to directly ascertain, he did not utilize the equivalent of OBA Smoke or even any noted instances of direct fire smoke screens. He also crossed to the far bank that morning on at least two occasions.

Also during that busy morning he directly changed the building of an 8 ton Pontoon Bridge to a 16 ton Pontoon Bridge in mid-construction. He knew he could get heavier armor across a 16 ton Pontoon and no doubt drew curses behind his back from the impacted Assault Engineers. He and his chief adjutant were strafed by a friendly aircraft, almost ending his career right there. Once satisfied with the second crossing he ran up to Hou briefly to see if the crossing of the 5th Panzer, which was attached to him at this time, was going well. It was.

He then headed back to Dinant, crossed to the far bank again and remained there. The next day, he was almost killed while looking at French defenses outside of Onhaye through the periscope of one of the rare MKIII's in 7th Panzer. The tank was struck by French ATG fire and in game terms, wrecked. He sustained cuts on his face from the periscope glass being blown back into his face and one of his subordinates in the tank lost an arm. The MkIII's driver hit the gas and drove into a ditch where the vehicle fell on it's side. After popping smoke dischargers, the occupants, including Rommel scrambled out. Rommel was stitched up in the same Inn that Dan Dolan, the chief designer of Dinant, would visit a couple of years ago. The inn keeper showed him family photos (His father owned the Inn at the time of the crossing) of Rommel being attended to and of the crossing. Sadly, we have been unable to obtain those photos to date. With the Inn Keepers permission, we might be able to share them for a future article.

To get back to our design conclusions regarding Rommel. He was definitely a source of impetus to the German assault in this sector and showed considerable improvisation and physical courage. Indications are that his men loved him for it. He was however, operating at an overseeing project manager level. Assessing the situation and determining what was needed where, to keep things moving. For this reason, while he raises morale level within 2 hexes of his position, and aids in the completion of engineering tasks such as Ferry, Pontoon Bridge and Pulley construction, (simulating his aides overseeing his instructions for same) he does not have the ability to direct fire and so forth, as that simply was below the level of what he was doing.

If Rommel dies/is captured during the CG, the Germans lose 10 CPP from the next CG date and 5 thereafter to simulate the loss of impetus to the assault in general. The German high command was not entirely enamored of the new approach of deep penetrations with exposed flanks and very likely would have throttled back any replacement of Rommel's. Also, German ELR drops by one permanently. Lastly, all personnel within 2 have a LLMC to take. Live by the Rommel, die by the Rommel.
Thanks for sharing that Carl - very informative of the design process. I found it very interesting and agree with your conclusions - they jibe well with the accounts I've read on the crossing.

I think it's innovative as well - how does the system portray senior officers in the field; those fighting generals who perhaps didn't pull a trigger but organised/inspired those around them? The design you've described would work for several others I can think of.

You'll be writing an article on DN I take it for future publication? (Dan Dolan could likewise muse on his impressionist inspirations for his crayon masterpiece original map).

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You'll be writing an article on DN I take it for future publication? (Dan Dolan could likewise muse on his impressionist inspirations for his crayon masterpiece original map).
I'm not sure. However if asked and it fits the grander scheme of things, I am sure Dan, Nadir and I would be happy to. There are footnotes throughout the Dinant rules, which MMP diligently edited for greater clarity, summarizing many of the design decisions. However, for the sake of brevity, those are of a necessity, less expansive than what can be shared here, on other forums such as Facebook or, as you say, in an article.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I enjoyed reading your 'Designer's Notes' regarding the 'Rommel counter, in particular the account of his AFV experience. Amazing research, and I hope to one day see the photos of Rommel being treated for his wounds.

For me anyways, this information has me wondering about the design decisions which led to the inclusion of a 10-3 'Rommel counter' in ASL 42, 'Point of No Return' (Sidi Rezegh, Libya, November 1941).

Thank you again for the insightful post!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I enjoyed reading your 'Designer's Notes' regarding the 'Rommel counter, in particular the account of his AFV experience. Amazing research, and I hope to one day see the photos of Rommel being treated for his wounds.

For me anyways, this information has me wondering about the design decisions which led to the inclusion of a 10-3 'Rommel counter' in ASL 42, 'Point of No Return' (Sidi Rezegh, Libya, November 1941).

Thank you again for the insightful post!
I would never second guess another person's design on a scenario I have done 0 research on from 20+ years ago, when the game itself was played very differently. I looked at the card before typing to see if the designers name was on there, but back then, apparently such was not the case. Either way, the game has definitely evolved in its play as well as in its design. Red Barricades had a 10-3 hanging out on every corner by mid-CG, yet in more recent designs, it is extremely rare to ever see such a thing. Also, in the desert, Rommel often was VERY close to the front lines, too much so very often. So it is possible in that instance, due to self-preservation, he HAD to be directly involved. I really don't know.

As an aside, there was a British general whose last name I believe was O'connor. The man had shown a genius in the desert in the use of armor, in much the same mold as Rommel. He was out too far forward when Rommel began his initial counterattack and was captured. He spent the remainder of the war in a POW camp. We'll never know the impact he could have had as a result, but it does show the tradeoff in risk and reward of bold leadership in stark terms.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Typical recklessness, which is why he is over-rated. Like Hitler, he was a gambler and had the luck of the devil early on in the war.
Over rated? Yes and no. He was a brilliant tactical and lower level operational (divisional/corps) commander. His recklessness and bravery paid dividends when faced by Western forces, but would likely come to grief against a more plodding but more resolute opponent like the Soviets. In the Eastern front the result would likely have seen him pocketed/captured/killed while on one of his usual jaunts.

He was too inclined to lose his grasp of the bigger picture due to his concentration on local actions (target fixation). That bit him in the arse with him and DAK being temporarily pocketed in the Gazala Cauldron. Only the tardiness of the British response allowed him to escape. So as a higher operational/strategic commander (army/army group) I would rate as just adequate to good, but not brilliant.

At the ASL level I would not have been horrified if he was represented by a 10-4, never mind a 10-3. His local tactical effect was usually that good. His fame in the West is partly due to have been executed (forced suicide) after the July 20th plot, but mainly to explain many Western defeats ("We were facing Superman!").

Last edited:

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually, General O'Connor escaped captivity and returned to the Allied fold. His next assignment was in Normandy, 1944.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
As an aside, there was a British general whose last name I believe was O'connor. The man had shown a genius in the desert in the use of armor, in much the same mold as Rommel. He was out too far forward when Rommel began his initial counterattack and was captured. He spent the remainder of the war in a POW camp. We'll never know the impact he could have had as a result, but it does show the tradeoff in risk and reward of bold leadership in stark terms.
Yes, Richard O'Connor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_O'Connor). Equally brilliant in the desert, it's questionable whether he was as suited to combat in Europe. I've read that his Italian captivity drained him, but even without capture the likelihood is that by '43 or'44 he would have been fairly burnt out and lost his edge, rather like Rommel. Like stars, the brighter they burn, the shorter they burn.

g_young

Reaction score
Well id
I'm not sure. However if asked and it fits the grander scheme of things, I am sure Dan, Nadir and I would be happy to. There are footnotes throughout the Dinant rules, which MMP diligently edited for greater clarity, summarizing many of the design decisions. However, for the sake of brevity, those are of a necessity, less expansive than what can be shared here, on other forums such as Facebook or, as you say, in an article.
Well I'd certainly plonk down some hard earned cash if the three of you were to collaborate on a series of articles for DN. Hope the planets align, as they say!

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
His recklessness and bravery paid dividends when faced by Western forces, but would likely come to grief against a more plodding but more resolute opponent like the Soviets. In the Eastern front the result would likely have seen him pocketed/captured/killed while on one of his usual jaunts.
Rommel's 'Western' adversary, Montgomery and the Eighth Army seem to have accomplished a rather effective result of bringing him and the DAK to grief in the North African campaign.