So what scenarios have you played Recently?

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Victory is Life ASL AP20 Russia '43. A very elite Italian force must breakout with a group of "staff Officers" from the Alpini Corps HQ. The ROAR record is pro Italian, so we went with the Russian balance. (I've always wanted to play this, and now, with the LFT Italian counters, I have enough non standard Italian leader counters to play this without resorting to axis minor leader counters.)
I set up about a 1/3 of my Soviets to cover the Italian reinforcements entry on board 42. The majority came from the west on 10. I went after the two StuH's at first, and killed both, at a cost of 2 T-34s. Alpini with ATMM are dangerous- especially to T-34 M41s!
I was able to contain the staff to the area around 10W3 and 4, but the Italian assault engineers drove up the east edge. I lost another T-34 and was watching the staff and their CVP slip away. But, they still had to cross the main road across bd42. There I was able to wound and then kill the 10-3, giving me the win on the Corps Staff CVP cap.

Great scenario. A fine fur ball with both sides attacking and defending. I think the "raid" mentality of the historical narrative is the way to go for the Ruskies, as going after the Staff Officers is the quickest way to gain CVP. If you try to contain them, the elite Italians will chew you up.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
My latest game was FrF37 Crossing Swords at Kyaukse which I played in couple of live VASL sessions with Rami Saarinen.

I had the attacking Japanese. Rami set up quite dispersed so I was able to concentrate my main force on board 37 and brush aside the couple iof British units. On Board 36 there was a interesting running battle between the smaller Japanese force and British reinforcements.

The Stuarts entered on turn 2 and stayed near the board 37 edge to prevent my exit. Rami was able to re position some troops and I was facing wall of armor, 51 mm mortar and MMG firelane when trying to reach the exit area. I used my turn 3 movement to re position my troops for the final push - made the mistake moving the Japanese mortar to dense jungle hex and finding out it could not fire out of there as I wanted to lay smoke on turn 4. However off i went- tried to get DC hero, n success, tried another which made its charge but was stopped by K/2 result, tried to place te DC on a Stuart and pinned, couple of squads were halved and broke. But, I managed to CC one of his Stuarts and Immobilize it on aboard edge hex with two squads in melee so now there was an opening in the middle. Also two squads and a leader of the board 36 force made banzai charge over the Stream to board 37 and became threat to exit.

On his turn 4 Rami moved one Stuart to counter the board 36 group also the MMG squad moved into the same hex and tried to use the third to harass my troops which were in bad shape after my attack. I killed the immobilized Stuart in CC which meant I had 2 squads for 4 points out 8 to exit at the board edge hex and two moves remaining. The worst threat tome was the Stuart / MMG combohex, otherwise the British had little they could use to stop my exit.

The turn 5 movement started with a banzai charge of one squad and 9-0 leader against the MM/Stuart hex. This banzai survived to enter the hex and the I exited rest of the points required - there were a few potshots against them but noting which caused any MCs or PTCs.

Someone reading the scenario card might ask "what about the Japanese gun?" Well, the gun is ins position where you'll need to manhandle it forward in order it to be any use. I started this operation rolling boxcars on turn 1 which meat that the gun never caught up as it was one movement late all the time.

Rami setup too spread out and this helped me move fast during the fist two turns, which in turn forced him to position the Stuarts to bock my exit without proper infantry support to help them out.

I think this is a very nice compact PTO scenario. The British needs to consider his setup carefully and I believe this is the reason for it having pro Japanese ROAR record - with a solid British setup I say it is well balanced.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Last Roadblock ASL 240. . Norway ‘40. German Mountain troops on the board 9 hill, French Legionaries and Norwegian Infantry. The Allies need to control more level 3 and 4 hill hexes on 9 than the Germans. And, the Germans launch a turn one counter attack, actually beating the Allies to the punch.

I surged to the hill, from board 18 in the first few turns and took plenty of casualties too. (There is a CVP cap, which becomes an automatic German victory.). The good news was I suppressed the German 81mm, the bad news was I only got one +3 Smoke before the smoke ran out.
Lots of bloody point blank blasting on the hill, with the Norwegians besting the stranded sailors and the Legionaries withstanding the counterattack for an Allied win.

Fun scenario. Alpine hills are not bad to master, and make for a unique hill battle.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played YASL2 Initial Skirmish at our Twin Cities ASL day with Mark Harms . A small 4.5 turn France ’40 affair with 5 x light panzers and 8 x 467 on motorcycles, ATR, LMG, attacking a village containing 5 x 457, 2 x leaders, LMG, ATR, 37*+crew and two Panhards ACs (w/ 25LLs) on T1. VCs were CVP and 1 point for ever friendly-controlled building in the French set-up area.

The 3 x Pz Is and 2 x Pz IIAs are all 1 AF so they must proceed with caution. The motorcyclists proceeded to move up to the outskirts of the board 70 village and dismount. Over the next couple turns the Germans have no less than 3.5 squads broken, but they all rally back once DM status is gone. The Germans are able to sidle up to two stone buildings one containing a 237 and the 227/37* and enter CC gaining ambush on one and both are eliminated. A huge outcome for the German was a Pz I in that was shocked in T2 then UK, but was able to recover. A swing of five critical VPs.

Mid-game the Germans KO a Panhard, but lose a Pz I. A bold move by the remaining Panhard takes out another Pz I. German down two AFV and French one. The German sees an opportunity on his right flank to do an end around to pick up at least three buildings in the village rear. Using a Pz I, he freezes the 457/LMG allowing the move and survives CC. In the bottom of French T4, the remaining Panhard starts and a 467/ATR/9-1 fires and rolls a 6,5 with the leader modifier making the difference for the hit. TK was an immobilization. The crew fails the ITC and bails out. The same 467 fires and breaks the crew. Due to the positions on the board the rout path would send him to the nether-regions of the village where in the final German half turn it would likely be surrounded by the MMCs that broke into the backfield. At that point the French received orders to abandon the village.

A very tense game that reinforced my love for tin cans: every weapon is a threat and every TK roll is a white-knuckler. I think the French has every opportunity to win this, but must have good success at taking out German AFV – and preserving his own – and knowing where to focus the defense. I think the French balance is in order -- an LMG -- OR perhaps another HS and a few more dummies. The German must move carefully and be thoughtful with his AFV. At five CVP per "can", early AFV losses will require more (necessary) caution with the remaining AFV. Regardless of the outcome the scenario definitely gives a feel for the desperation of the French village defenders of 1940 who had to do so much against a determined attacker. Thumbs up! A huge thanks to Mark for another tense, razor's edge game.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Played YASL2 Initial Skirmish at our Twin Cities ASL day with Mark Harms . A small 4.5 turn France ’40 affair with 5 x light panzers and 8 x 467 on motorcycles, ATR, LMG, attacking a village containing 5 x 457, 2 x leaders, LMG, ATR, 37*+crew and two Panhards ACs (w/ 25LLs) on T1. VCs were CVP and 1 point for ever friendly-controlled building in the French set-up area.

The 3 x Pz Is and 2 x Pz IIAs are all 1 AF so they must proceed with caution. The motorcyclists proceeded to move up to the outskirts of the board 70 village and dismount. Over the next couple turns the Germans have no less than 3.5 squads broken, but they all rally back once DM status is gone. The Germans are able to sidle up to two stone buildings one containing a 237 and the 227/37* and enter CC gaining ambush on one and both are eliminated. A huge outcome for the German was a Pz I in that was shocked in T2 then UK, but was able to recover. A swing of five critical VPs.

Mid-game the Germans KO a Panhard, but lose a Pz I. A bold move by the remaining Panhard takes out another Pz I. German down two AFV and French one. The German sees an opportunity on his right flank to do an end around to pick up at least three buildings in the village rear. Using a Pz I, he freezes the 457/LMG allowing the move and survives CC. In the bottom of French T4, the remaining Panhard starts and a 467/ATR/9-1 fires and rolls a 6,5 with the leader modifier making the difference for the hit. TK was an immobilization. The crew fails the ITC and bails out. The same 467 fires and breaks the crew. Due to the positions on the board the rout path would send him to the nether-regions of the village where in the final German half turn it would likely be surrounded by the MMCs that broke into the backfield. At that point the French received orders to abandon the village.

A very tense game that reinforced my love for tin cans: every weapon is a threat and every TK roll is a white-knuckler. I think the French has every opportunity to win this, but must have good success at taking out German AFV – and preserving his own – and knowing where to focus the defense. I think the French balance is in order -- an LMG -- OR perhaps another HS and a few more dummies. The German must move carefully and be thoughtful with his AFV. At five CVP per "can", early AFV losses will require more (necessary) caution with the remaining AFV. Regardless of the outcome the scenario definitely gives a feel for the desperation of the French village defenders of 1940 who had to do so much against a determined attacker. Thumbs up! A huge thanks to Mark for another tense, razor's edge game.
Great scenario! Played it twice a couple of years ago.

Here are my short AARs:

First Playing vs. Sebastian Hummel:
Set in 1940, the Germans need to inflict more CVP than the French while each captured buildings also earn VP. The Germans have a quick force of some early PzII's and PzI's that are supported by Kradschützen on Motorcycles and Sidecars. The terrain arcoss which they have to approach gives some cover by grain and brush but there are not many places of Rally terrain. The French only have modest AT capabilites consisting of an LMG, an ATR, and a not to be underestimated 37* SW INF Gun. As best the German AFV have to offer is an AF of 1, they cannot be careless because losing tanks ist costly. The French on top will receive two radioless AMD 35 Armored Cars with one 8-1AL which are quite potent in the given context. As a special balance, the French were given a 6th 4-5-7 Squad.

I played the French in this one in a friendly game as a preparation for a mini tournament the following day. All in all the resume is that I diced the living hell out of my poor opponent. 3's and 4's abound which are, of course, hard to digest in a 4.5 Turn scenario. The result was a French win for me.

Second Playing vs. Bruno Nitrosso:
The first scenario of two of a themed mini tournament of early war Germans vs. the French, this time, I played the attacking Germans. The early moves of my Infantry & Motorcyclists were met with fierce resistance by the French which led to some losses and breaks.

This proved to be the theme of the game: My Germans were always short of infantry. I moved the tanks with caution rather than dash to preserve them as good as I could, especially, since the lack of infantry would not have sufficed to cover armored exploits.

The French ACs moved in from the back and took up a good position centrally in the village. Generally, the French infantry succeeded pretty well falling back in good order in the beginning. While my original plan was to set my Schwerpunkt on the German right side, I turned out to concentrate in the center. From there, I gained the first foothold in the middle outskirts of it.

Because the French ACs were within the village, I was able to shift my tanks to the left in an effort to take out the French flank there and to seperate that part of the village from the rest. Again, there were some setbacks of my infantry which did not appear to manage anything. The tanks firing Point Blank did begin to tell, though. And in the center of the village, I was slowly making some progress. Then the French ACs managed to take out two Germans tanks. At this point, I had not much confidence in bringing this home. But at long last, on the German left, the French infantry was cleared and Landsers grinding forward from house to house. Meanwhile the French had successfully retreated behind the road within the village.

The 4th German turn brought about the change. I was able to corner two French squads freezing them and afterwards to close in with German Infantry. Both French squads broke and the chivalrous Germans happily accepted the Prisoners as a welcome CVP increase. At long last, a German hero with the ATR succeeded in taking out one of the AC's after something like half a dozen attempts.

During the French turn 4, the French retaliated in eliminating a PzI, but the could not harm the German infantry. The last German half-turn allowed me to grab four more buildings and to extract one PzI by reverse moving out of harm's way. Still, CVP & buildings were in French favor.

In preparation for the last CCPh, I had to dash some German infantry across a road hoping to have some reserves to attempt their PAATCs vs. the surviving French AC. The outcome would hinge on its survival or demise. The German squad broke, the Prisoners were CR'ed which luckily counts still in favor of the Germans. Fortunately, that AC had been shocked before. A 9-1, 467+Prisoners, and a HS+Prisoners (IIRC) all made their PAATCs. They just managed to kill the AC, which also held the French AL. At first we calculated that both the French and the Germans would have 27VP. Then, we remembered, that eliminated own Prisoners by the French still count double for the Germans, turning it into a German win for me by the barest of margins. A hell of a game!

von Marwitz

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played the BRT magnum opus BRT6 A Legend is Born as the defending Japanese. Nice to be able to make fortification and Gun/SW purchases for the IJA. The US marines have to attack two beaches, Red Beach 1 and Red Beach 2. The marines never could make much headway on RB1 due to little cover and awful rolls on the 4TC to clear the seawall. They fared better on RB2 where they were able to breach the seawall in a couple of places and had cover once they moved onto the hinterland. For my part, I set most of my men one hex back and waited for the marines to root me out. Eight long turns (of 10) and two weekends before my friend finally called it. He had made no headway on RB1 but both forces over there were pretty beat up. On RB2 he was able to make some inroads and took several buildings but the going was too slow. Both sides over there were also in bad shape, but he finally realized he just didn't have the time to take enough buildings and exploit a near breakthrough. I have to say that taking a CR on a failed MC roll on the beach really took its toll on the marines. With as many rolls as my friend had, my sniper was very active and really hurt them with all the CR results. As with pretty much every BRT scenario, all the initiative lies with the marines. Once set up, the IJA pretty much sits there and blasts away. There is little else for them to do. This scenario would make a great team scenario with four players attacking/defending the two beaches. Definitely worth a play and not nearly as hard as playing Gavutu-Tanambogo!

Last edited:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Played the BRT magnum opus BRT6 A Legend is Born This scenario would make a great team scenario with four players attacking/defending the two beaches. Definitely worth a play and not nearly as hard as playing Gavutu-Tanambogo!
As we recently had a new recruit in our area making us four ASL players, I will keep this in mind.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As we recently had a new recruit in our area making us four ASL players, I will keep this in mind.
That would make for a fun game. IMHO, if the person is "new" new, I'd say from easiest to hardest would be Japanese RB1, US RB2, Japanese RB2, US RB1. The scenario really did play like two separate games. At one point during our game my friend totally forgot about one side of the playing area and started moving his pieces before he Prep Fired on the other beach. I lost focus as well, but we quickly realized the mistake, stopped movement at that point, and allowed the units on the other side to fire with the provision they couldn't fire at the other beach (which rarely happened in our playing anyway). The scenario was pretty intense!

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
We recently finished J51 CANICATTI The scenario is 6 & 1/2 turns with Germans defending a pair of hills against Americans in Sicily (pre PFs). US must clear all level 2 & higher of good order MMCs, without loosing more than 3 AFVs. Germans defend with 6 SQ, 3 HS, 2 SMC, HMG, MMG, 2LMG, 5?, 2 50L AT, with 4 trenchs & a pillbox. US has 9 SQ, 3 SMC, 2 MMG, 4 M4A1 & 3 M4 & 1AL.

Germans set up the left side hill with the pillbox & a trench on the single level 4 hex and another trench adjacent on level 3 set back from the crest line. The other 2 trenches set up on level 3 hexes of the right side hill. With 1 AT in the pillbox, the other set up HIP in an ambush position on Level 0.

Allowed free deployment, the US player deployed 7 of his 9 MMCs and all tanks came on with riders almost all of whom dismounted @ beginning of turn 2. Germans got lucky with a CH on the first AT shot & burned an M4. The advancing HS began to suffer on turn 3 and a second M4 suffered a STUN. It recovered immediately, then was taken out by the AT waiting in ambush. The US advance was slowed by this unexpected AT and a stone bldg. which was the scene of a 5 round melee marathon which cost the US its best leader. The Germans continued to whittle away @ the US HSs & a sniper killed another US leader. The ambush AT broke & the crew was taken out by point blank fire & an overrun, followed next turn when the pillbox AT ko'ed the M4A1 with back to back 4s on a side hit. By turn 6 the Germans were reduced to 3 & 1/2 SQ, 1 LMG, 1 AT & 1 SMC. The right hand hill had been swept clean & on turn 6 the tanks assaulted the big hill. 1 got on level 3 behind the pillbox, another got on level 2 by the side of the pillbox the other 2 suffered ESB immobilization, while no MMCs got onto the left hill. With not enough firepower in position to clear that hill, the US resigned.

A fun scenario, I would highly recommend this one.

JAGgamer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Were you taking notes? That was a brilliant write up! Seriously! At least I made it farther than in my attack for Abandon Ship when my Germans barely crossed the first road! You get to be secretary for all of our games from now on!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Were you taking notes? That was a brilliant write up! Seriously! At least I made it farther than in my attack for Abandon Ship when my Germans barely crossed the first road! You get to be secretary for all of our games from now on!
A play on Murphy's Law? "If you take more than your fair share of objectives, you're expected to take more than your fair share of objectives.";)

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Chateau de Meez [DN4] Seems a number of scenarios with Frenchies are showing up in this thread for some reason :)

Played a close game as the French against Dave Stephens yesterday but lost when virtually all the French surrendered at the end of turn seven. Made a few mistakes on setup, mainly not keeping the 25LL back in one of the victory buildings. The German Panzers easily traversed the woods. The roadblock was cleared on turn one due to smoke covering the engineering work and my failure to disturb the workers. My collapse was assisted by the HMG getting one shot off before malfunction. I think the commanding office must have slipped on horse poop while repositioning the HMG in the stable and fell on the weapon disabling it. Fun scenario as an intro to the Dinant map. No climbers fell to their death in the making of this movie.

Last edited:

phlegm027

Reaction score
Chateau de Meez [DN4] Seems a number of scenarios with Frenchies are showing up in this thread for some reason :)

Played a close game as the French against Dave Stephens yesterday but lost when virtually all the French surrendered at the end of turn seven. Made a few mistakes on setup, mainly not keeping the 25LL back in one of the victory buildings. The German Panzers easily traversed the woods. The roadblock was cleared on turn one due to smoke covering the engineering work and my failure to disturb the workers. My collapse was assisted by the HMG getting one shot off before malfunction. I think the commanding office must have slipped on horse poop while repositioning the HMG in the stable and fell on the weapon disabling it. Fun scenario as an intro to the Dinant map. No climbers fell to their death in the making of this movie.
If the tanks get through the woods they can be real helpful cracking the defense around the Chateau de Meez. But if they don’t things can get dicey as they try to get the Chateau complex.
climbing a platoon south of the Chateau can be very threatening to the French forces trying to fall back to the Chateau from the woods.

Glad you liked it.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
The Playing Field [RO6] New ASL player in Kernersville, James Lancaster, and I hooked up for the second time last night. Unlike our last match, this time my dice were hot literally with a FT that never quit and two straight OBA draws. Game ended on turn three when my OBA after a fortuitous drift caught the one good order MMC in the key victory building breaking him. I did my usual conservative attack (force preservation) but as is usual with my plodding offense did notice the clock ticking with only two more turns to go but with most of the Germans in bad shape.