Rising Sun Reprint

dur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are there any plans to bring Rising Sun back into print sometime in the relatively near future? As such a huge part of the game system I think it deserves to skip a few modules in the queue! I started ASL about a year ago and held off on buying it until I became comfortable with the ETO, only to find to my great dismay it went out of print right when I decided to pull the trigger! I bet there are plenty of new players in the same position who are eager to flesh out their kit with some PTO goodness. Any idea when we'll see it again?

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think that fact that it JUST went out of print probably doesn't bode well for it being reprinted in the near future.

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But weren’t the last copies of FKaC just sold too? And I heard that there might be a 2018 reprint of that.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whoever wrote or told you that was just blowing sunshine up your skirt. Maybe they meant 2028.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Just saw one 'Rising Sun' shrinkwrapped for sale at Spiel games fair in Essen last Thursday for - 388 Euros... Insane.

von Marwitz

dur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just saw one 'Rising Sun' shrinkwrapped for sale at Spiel games fair in Essen last Thursday for - 388 Euros... Insane.

von Marwitz
All the more reason why this is so disheartening! The listings I've seen on eBay typically start at around $240. That's a lot of cash.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
MMP are in a cleft stick here. Yes, some copies are for sale at ridiculous prices but when you set apre order number of 2000 it takes three years to reach it.

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
One of my greatest regrets at the moment is not grabbing a copy of Rising Sun when I started getting back into ASL a year or two ago. Now it is priced beyond my level of affordability. Luckily I do own CoB, so the PTO is not a total loss. But if MMP were to offer a reprint for preorder, I would jump with both feet.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I totally lucked out and managed to buy one from Alex Key not even that long ago for like $130 because he was blowing out his last few copies.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Every time we call for a show of hands to make a group order or pre-order here there are always a few guys who say they'll sit it out. More than once I've heard expressions of regret a few years later.

Fortunately, most of us have buddies who were smart enough to get the kit while the gettin' was good. And, as a last resort, we have VASL.

takai

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
MMP are in a cleft stick here. Yes, some copies are for sale at ridiculous prices but when you set apre order number of 2000 it takes three years to reach it.
Isn't it usually about 500 copies? Anway, setting up a pre-order would in any case establish the interest.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Pre-order numbers are in the neighborhood of 500, but actual print runs are often (usually?) greater. The pre-order number basically represents the minimum number of purchases needed to cover production and sales costs.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Isn't it usually about 500 copies? Anway, setting up a pre-order would in any case establish the interest.
MMP has done this in the past and been clubbed for having things linger on their pre-pub list. Now, they only put things up for pre-order which they are close to being ready to print. It seems they can't win one way or another with the pre-order process. People don't like not knowing what the interest is in an older product and they don't like looking at things sitting on the list forever. -- jim

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will get one of the re-print Rising Sun modules.

Getting a copy of each core module and new HASLs for my Grand-son.

BVv3, Yanksv2, Paratrooper (in shrink wrap), Partisan (in shrink wrap), Last Hurrah (in shrink wrap) all the Action Packs, all the other scenario packs from MMP and the entire ASLSK line of products are already in his box for his next birthday.

Need the following: French, Allied (DB) & Axis Minors (AoO), Italians and the British; the Chinese and Japanese, with the USMC will be in the Rising Sun I'll order. So the core modules I will be getting when they pre-order is listed.

Last edited:

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
January 2020. It isn't time to pick on this thread again? ?:rolleyes:;)
Target date: WO 2021. Is it a dream?

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Learned my lesson the hard way. Had to spend extra in order to get the revised scenarios in BV , FKAC and DB. Now when a core module is up for pre-order, I put my name down.
That way, I may be at the end of the line BUT I will not have to troll Amazon, Noble Knight or E-Bay.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Given that the ASLSK PTO game just came out, and those are supposed to incentivise new players, I would think reprinting RS soonish would make sense. Put another way - does it make sense to train-up a bunch of new players for a full ASL module that's not going to be around for ten years?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Rising Sun's not going to be around for ten years? Where did you source that from?

Are there enough people (pre order #) who wants Rising Sun enough to buy it now? Certainly took a while for For King & Country (which is pretty essential for PTO).

Last edited:

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Rising Sun's not going to be around for ten years? Where did you source that from?
"Ten years" was a wild-ass guess, based loosely on apparent cycle times for core modules that aren't BV. My point was, I wouldn't think it would actually be that long based on the recent release of ASLSK-PTO.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Given that the ASLSK PTO game just came out, and those are supposed to incentivise new players, I would think reprinting RS soonish would make sense. Put another way - does it make sense to train-up a bunch of new players for a full ASL module that's not going to be around for ten years?
By that measure MMP ought to have released a Kit featuring the French.

I'm not convinced that the fourth Starter Kit was designed to encourage new players to transition to ASL proper. More likely it was another pet project, possibly spurred in part by the USMC lobby, and an exercise in seeing how much the rules could be pared down and still bring the Japanese into the ASLSK fold. Nothing wrong with that, and I'm sure it has made a lot of people happy.

At this point, I think it's fair to say that ASLSK is its own line aimed at players who enjoy a less rules intensive tactical wargame. This makes ASLSK a viable option for those who play similar games but who are reluctant to invest heavily in any one system, be it because of cost constraints or the commitment required of systems with large rule sets.

The folks at MMP take a lot of heat whatever they decide to do. At some point they may want to ride off into the sunset and enjoy the fruits of their labours. And who could blame them? They breathed new life into the Game and helped keep it alive for far longer than anyone could have predicted.

I'm fairly confident that Rising Sun and Yanks will be reprinted when demand warrants and providing MMP is in business at the time. That said, I've gotten by without the French and Italian modules for 14 years. During that time MMP has provided more than enough distractions to keep me and countless others interested in the hobby. New players have heaps to play and do while they wait for the next reprint. I know I do, having yet to punch my copy of Yanks!

Last edited: