Would you play someone who constantly...

Jumbo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
makes rules errors that always benefit him...
becomes belligerent when called on his repeated errors...
denies making the repeated errors...
rushes you while you are moving...
breaks up your Prep Fire/Movement Phases with repeated rules lookups...
drums on the map with both hands during your Prep Fire/Movement Phases...
sorts through his stacks during your Prep Fire/Movement Phases in such a way as to obstruct your vision/ability to fire/move your units...
removes informational counters that are unfavorable to his units (Ammo Shortage and such)...
undercounts Movement Factors/Points expended...

more to come...

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
  • Picks his nose while you're contemplating your moves?
  • Makes "pew, pew" sounds when shooting at your guys?
  • Pours lighter fuel on your tanks and actually lites them afire whenever he get a burner?
  • Stabs your leader with the tip of his tweezers whenever he get a hot sniper shot on him?
  • Walks in and throws his dice across the room, just to get into the mood?
  • More to come---

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
makes rules errors that always benefit him...
becomes belligerent when called on his repeated errors...
denies making the repeated errors...
rushes you while you are moving...
breaks up your Prep Fire/Movement Phases with repeated rules lookups...
drums on the map with both hands during your Prep Fire/Movement Phases...
sorts through his stacks during your Prep Fire/Movement Phases in such a way as to obstruct your vision/ability to fire/move your units...
removes informational counters that are unfavorable to his units (Ammo Shortage and such)...
undercounts Movement Factors/Points expended...

more to come...
No, I don't play solitaire.

JR

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No.

I played with an obnoxious guy once and I simply said to him, "Well, you obviously want to win so bad, I concede." I would have simply walked away at that point but we were using my stuff. I don't like the "I gotta win types." I'll play them once and then never again.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The person I played once and never again angrily yells throughout the game - at the dice, at my counters, at his counters, at the rulebook, life in general ..

Just too much pent-up rage to deal with in my "down" time.

Jumbo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No.

I played with an obnoxious guy once and I simply said to him, "Well, you obviously want to win so bad, I concede." I would have simply walked away at that point but we were using my stuff. I don't like the "I gotta win types." I'll play them once and then never again.
This was similar to my experience: I said "Game over - you win - a nice easy win," after resigning on turn one.
No insults or profanties.
In reply I was called a "s-----g" and other such niceties.

ASL is an incredibly beautiful game.

A quarter of a century ago I had the pleasure of playing a French-Canadian gentleman "Red Star Red Sun" at a tourney.
I was the Russians.
I had played the scenario before. My oppo had not. IIRC he chose the game and the Japanese side, knowing that the balance favored the Russians.
After twelve (12) hours of non-stop play, during which his wife, son and daughter occasionally stopped by to share their gaming victories in other events, our game ended with a close victory for me, aided by incredible luck for me, and bad luck for my opponent, a truly magnanimous and courteous opponent.
I felt bad about winning.
Looking through my barrage notation, I spotted an error of mine. It did not affect the game, as it did not come into play. My opponent did not know about it.
I remember being very happy to advise my wonderful opponent that he, not I, in fact had won the game.
It is one of my all-time favorite gaming experiences.
I wish I had a movie of how great this gentleman was to play.

I love ASL!!!

Last edited:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are a small number of people I refuse to play because they are so obnoxious when they play. A very small proportion of the hundreds of people I've played, though.

Alas, I am poor at recalling faces and names--as some of you have noticed when meeting me--so there have been a couple of instances where only after I sat down and started playing someone did I remember they were on my "do not play list."

However, it is only fair to note that everybody has a bad day once in a while. I once played a very well known, and very good ASLer, and had a really bad experience with him. I did not want to play him ever again. However, a couple of years later he and I ended up the last two people in a mini, so it was either forfeit the mini or play him--so I gritted my teeth and played him, only to discover that he was perfectly fine that time--and has been a fun opponent every time I've played him since. So it's also a good idea not to be too quick to judge.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
So it's also a good idea not to be too quick to judge.
I have met one person during 30 years of SL/ASL play I will not play unless he is paired against me on a tournament. It was a constant battle playing him, as he tried to bend the rules his way all the time and saw this constant negotiation on how the game works as part of the game.

I just checked and I have played this individual 9 times in 2002-2006, so I do not think I was too quick to judge - now 15 years later I'm wondering why I did not give in after 2-3 games.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There are a small number of people I refuse to play because they are so obnoxious when they play. A very small proportion of the hundreds of people I've played, though.

Alas, I am poor at recalling faces and names--as some of you have noticed when meeting me--so there have been a couple of instances where only after I sat down and started playing someone did I remember they were on my "do not play list."

However, it is only fair to note that everybody has a bad day once in a while. I once played a very well known, and very good ASLer, and had a really bad experience with him. I did not want to play him ever again. However, a couple of years later he and I ended up the last two people in a mini, so it was either forfeit the mini or play him--so I gritted my teeth and played him, only to discover that he was perfectly fine that time--and has been a fun opponent every time I've played him since. So it's also a good idea not to be too quick to judge.
I admire your sentiment. I really do.

Reality is : life's too short, and it ain't getting any better.

Plus there are simply too many real gents out there in the ASL community. Everyone's gonna have a bad day but taking it out on your ASL opponent is not the answer.

I reorg'd my contact list this morning: ASL definitely got me the most friends out of all the things I do. Perhaps I really don't get out much but "WOW".

One bad egg in six years ain't bad but yeah, try anything funny and I will drop you like yesterday's news.

Never a bad word, all smiles, there was even a nice "thank you" but that person won't see me across an ASL table again.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No.

I've played guys who exhibited many of the behaviors in the OP (and some worse, including stating " I'm going to look until I find a rule that says I win") . I'll finish the game, seriously reduce conversation and walk away quickly as soon as the scenario is over. Never play the prick again.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine

If there are multiple players on your refuse to play list did you ever stop to think there's a common denominator involved ??

:D

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Is this a Festivus airing-of-the-grievances thing? "I got a lotta problems with you people, and now you're going to hear about it!"

JR

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
No such ASL experiences (yet), but I did play an unbelievably annoying guy at my local chess club whose habit was to kibbitz his way through the game in an attempt to rattle the opponent, said kibbitzing always invariably pronouncing upon the doomed nature of his opponent's position. In trouble again (positionally) and at the end of my patience, I just said quietly "Ciaran" (for 'twas his name), "...if you don't shut up right now this the last game I will ever play against you". He shut up. Two moves later I checkmated him. One my my more satisfying wins...

I only indulged in gamesmanship once myself, when during an afternoon end-of-league game. My opponent informed me at the start that he had to meet his wife soon to go shopping so could we get through the game as quickly as possible. "No problem" I said co-cooperatively, and proceeded to play more slowly than normal, sitting on my hands for several minutes even when I knew what my move was going to be and letting him do all the hurrying - in a tactically dangerous line too (Sicilian Dragon, Yugoslav Attack). I considered taking a wander round the playing hall to look at the other games during his moves too, but I didn't want to make it too obvious. It worked. after 19 moves I had a choice of two squares on which to to checkmate him. A bit mean on my part, perhaps, but I thought he set himself up for it by expecting me to rush my moves to fit in with his itinerary.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
No such ASL experiences (yet), but I did play an unbelievably annoying guy at my local chess club whose habit was to kibbitz his way through the game in an attempt to rattle the opponent, said kibbitzing always invariably pronouncing upon the doomed nature of his opponent's position. In trouble again (positionally) and at the end of my patience, I just said quietly "Ciaran" (for 'twas his name), "...if you don't shut up right now this the last game I will ever play against you". He shut up. Two moves later I checkmated him. One my my more satisfying wins...

I only indulged in gamesmanship once myself, when during an afternoon end-of-league game. My opponent informed me at the start that he had to meet his wife soon to go shopping so could we get through the game as quickly as possible. "No problem" I said co-cooperatively, and proceeded to play more slowly than normal, sitting on my hands for several minutes even when I knew what my move was going to be and letting him do all the hurrying - in a tactically dangerous line too (Sicilian Dragon, Yugoslav Attack). I considered taking a wander round the playing hall to look at the other games during his moves too, but I didn't want to make it too obvious. It worked. after 19 moves I had a choice of two squares on which to to checkmate him. A bit mean on my part, perhaps, but I thought he set himself up for it by expecting me to rush my moves to fit in with his itinerary.
Sorry I'm with Mark. That was a cuntish thing to do.....but in a funny way in truth :)

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I'm sorry, but why didn't you just say you'd rather play a regular game, so perhaps he should find someone else?
It was the end of the league with each club seeking to maximise points. Pairings were aleeady decided by the organisers. Time controls were in place...all moves in 90 minutes (per player), so everyone went in knowing that a game could take as long as three hours to complete. If someone couldn't allocate that much of their time it was for them to inform their team captain who could then get someone else to play that board.