Set DC use

GamerKirk

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've searched and searched, so maybe the answer is out there, but I can't find it. If it matters, this is for Red Factories RO CG.

Two questions, please give rules quote so I can see where I missed it:

1) Does the NTC required when attempting to detonate a set DC cause a HIP unit to be a) revealed or b) placed under concealment marker or c) left HIPed? "Any other actions" listed in the Concealment Loss chart doesn't list directly detonation of a set DC, but any other action surely sounds like it might include it.

2) What is the exact procedure and when can it be executed?

Rules state DC can be detonated during a Friendly Fire phase, so that is during other player's movement (defensive first fire, basically) and defensive player's defensive fire phase in addition to the Prep and Advancing Fire phase of the owner of the set DC?

Does the owner of the set DC just declare that some unit on the board is making an NTC and whether it is successful or not? Or does the player have to indicate where the DC is? Does he have to indicate where the possibly concealed or HIP unit is that is making the attempt, or if successful where it is? What is the exact information that has to be given to the opposing player before the NTC, before the detonation, after the detonation for possibly HIP, concealed, or non-concealed but out of LOS, or non-concealed and in LOS units?

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
1) Does the NTC required when attempting to detonate a set DC cause a HIP unit to be a) revealed or b) placed under concealment marker or c) left HIPed? "Any other actions" listed in the Concealment Loss chart doesn't list directly detonation of a set DC, but any other action surely sounds like it might include it.
1) a) No, b) remain Concealed, c) or HIP.

12.141 ACTIONS: Any other activity which a concealed unit engages in [EXC: operation of radio/field phone; taking a PMTC or Set DC NTC; dropping/attempted repair of a...

GamerKirk

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My page A27 '87 rules don't list this in 12.141 (only "taking a PAATC, attempted repair..."), but I dug out my MMP pocketbook and see it has been added to result in "taking a PAATC or Set DC NTC; dropping/attempted repair...", thanks.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
2) What is the exact procedure and when can it be executed?

Rules state DC can be detonated during a Friendly Fire phase, so that is during other player's movement (defensive first fire, basically) and defensive player's defensive fire phase in addition to the Prep and Advancing Fire phase of the ownier of the set DC?

Does the owner of the set DC just declare that some unit on the board is making an NTC and whether it is successful or not? Or does the player have to indicate where the DC is? Does he have to indicate where the possibly concealed or HIP unit is that is making the attempt, or if successful where it is? What is the exact information that has to be given to the opposing player before the NTC, before the detonation, after the detonation for possibly HIP, concealed, or non-concealed but out of LOS, or non-concealed and in LOS units?
2) SET DC can be detonated any Friendly Fire Phase it could otherwise Fire (Prep Fire, First/Final/Advancing Fire).

No need to reveal where the MMC is (or mark it with a Fire marker, as an on-board OBA Observer is not revealed or marked with a Fire counter. Just make sure to remember that it has used a SW and that the MMC with the detonater have a LOS and is within 2-6 Hexes to the Set DC, about the same way you handle an OBA Observer that is correcting 120+mm FFE Concentrated upon an enemy coy.

If the Set DC x:ed out I think you do not need to reveal where the Set DC fizzled, only if you roll on the 36 FP column (or 16 FP) it is clear where it happens.

The procedure when we play are:
Announce that you now want to make a Set DC NTC DR, if the NTC fails you have received some intel (perhaps a prisoner gave you some infirmation of the deadly threat in hopes you will stop harassing him ;)).

If the NTC is passed , the Set DC explodes and where it happens is clear, but if the Set DC breaks down the Hidden Set DC is removed from play, but from which location is still not know.

If a Search reveal a Set DC, you can still not be sure that the next Set DC NTC is made for the revealed DC or another Still hidden Set DC.

Last edited: