AP139 Emergency Surgery

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AP139 Emergency Surgery vs Bob Bendis

Since I was playing for fun I agreed to play Bob as the defending germans in this new action pack scenario. It has ten squads with a 75* Inf gun defending against 6 337 partisans and 7.5 US squads transported by two ROF2 OT TD, two OT AC, two halftracks, and four trucks/jeeps. The US troops have to enter on one of three road hexes and may not dismount turn 1. The germans get 15 fortification points. The US wins immediately by getting more US infantry across a river than german GO infantry or by getting 20 points of American VP across the river at game end.

I used my fort points for HIP for two MMC, four ?, four trenches, one AP minefield, four wire and one roadblock. With the benefit of hindsight I’d add another roadblock (and another pair of wire) and eliminate the AP minefield. I setup to entice Bob to enter on the far left road with my HIP 9-1/467/MMG laying a 1 resid and firelane on the entry hex and the gun focused there. I put the obstacles to constrain the fast moving american vehicles since only the tanks could cross trenches and all risked wire bog. I set up the gun under wire to hinder freezing and put the 9-1/MMG stack in a trench. I messed up and failed to set a roadblock the V2/W2 hex side. This let Bob scoot his halftracks, jeeps and an AC through that gap.
My initial shots were hot as the 9-1/MMG shot rolled snakes to recall the non-greyhound AC in the entry hex, laying down he firelane. Against a Jackson TD the gun failed to bring HEAT but landed a HE snakes IFT shot to kill the riding squad and stun its crew. A 467 fired a lmg firelane across the entry area as well with a k/2 and bailout killing off the 2nd TD-riding squad. Bob sent the 2nd TD in the gun hex where it bogged and then would go down to the pinned crew in CC. Unfortunately my luck then turned as the greyhound, both halftracks, and all four jeeps/trucks ran through the 1 resid, 2 fp firelane, and 1 fp firelane without any results. Combined with nasty partisan action Bob eventually killed one defending squad and captured two more in the bocage area. In my turn the right side defenders ran over to the center bridge area and the gun zeroed in on a loaded halftrack stopped behind bocage.

US turn 2 my gun managed to kill both hull-down halftracks with 2.5 squads and two leaders on board, one needing a 10 TH and the other a six. Bob’s FT and half squad died to the 9-1/mmg. Meanwhile his greyhound AC and surviving TD ran to the center bridge area, stomping on a few german half squads and the 9-1/467/MMG.

IN GT2 the gun swung around again and zeroed in on the AC which it killed in UST3. By the end of german turn 3 we called the game as Bob had 18 CVP of US troops (a 7-0, crew, 81 mtr, armed jeep, Jackson TD, and 2 squads) across the bridge with 2 squads of prisoners (worth 8 CVP if counted). Since it was time to go we decided to end with Steve making the call on whether captured german prisoners counted as American VP. Steve decided they did so Bob won and got third place in the tournament. This is a very fun scenario, In hindsight I think the defender need some help, maybe another 447 (which would allow 2 squads to deploy). I also think this scenario isn’t the best for a tournament, as the gun with H7 and ROF 2 may destroy several US vehicles or none at all. If the german setup doesn’t focus on the entry roads, or the gun is out of place the scenario is also over. We’re waiting for Pete to let us know with whether prisoners should count.
Rules learnings: AP mines setup in a building with a narrow village paved road hexside may not use HIP but also may not be bypassed using the other half of the narrow road nor can they be picked up for just a MF expenditure like mines on a paved road hex.
- Riders and passengers squads may use assault fire (guaranteeing at least 2 FP in advancing fire no matter if the vehicle is moving and/or the defender is concealed).

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One note: footbridges only have stacking of one. I was looking for a way for the Germans to destroy it and read that rule.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AP139 Emergency Surgery vs Bob Bendis

Since I was playing for fun I agreed to play Bob as the defending germans in this new action pack scenario. It has ten squads with a 75* Inf gun defending against 6 337 partisans and 7.5 US squads transported by two ROF2 OT TD, two OT AC, two halftracks, and four trucks/jeeps. The US troops have to enter on one of three road hexes and may not dismount turn 1. The germans get 15 fortification points. The US wins immediately by getting more US infantry across a river than german GO infantry or by getting 20 points of American VP across the river at game end.

I used my fort points for HIP for two MMC, four ?, four trenches, one AP minefield, four wire and one roadblock. With the benefit of hindsight I’d add another roadblock (and another pair of wire) and eliminate the AP minefield. I setup to entice Bob to enter on the far left road with my HIP 9-1/467/MMG laying a 1 resid and firelane on the entry hex and the gun focused there. I put the obstacles to constrain the fast moving american vehicles since only the tanks could cross trenches and all risked wire bog. I set up the gun under wire to hinder freezing and put the 9-1/MMG stack in a trench. I messed up and failed to set a roadblock the V2/W2 hex side. This let Bob scoot his halftracks, jeeps and an AC through that gap.
View attachment 11179
My initial shots were hot as the 9-1/MMG shot rolled snakes to recall the non-greyhound AC in the entry hex, laying down he firelane. Against a Jackson TD the gun failed to bring HEAT but landed a HE snakes IFT shot to kill the riding squad and stun its crew. A 467 fired a lmg firelane across the entry area as well with a k/2 and bailout killing off the 2nd TD-riding squad. Bob sent the 2nd TD in the gun hex where it bogged and then would go down to the pinned crew in CC. Unfortunately my luck then turned as the greyhound, both halftracks, and all four jeeps/trucks ran through the 1 resid, 2 fp firelane, and 1 fp firelane without any results. Combined with nasty partisan action Bob eventually killed one defending squad and captured two more in the bocage area. In my turn the right side defenders ran over to the center bridge area and the gun zeroed in on a loaded halftrack stopped behind bocage.

US turn 2 my gun managed to kill both hull-down halftracks with 2.5 squads and two leaders on board, one needing a 10 TH and the other a six. Bob’s FT and half squad died to the 9-1/mmg. Meanwhile his greyhound AC and surviving TD ran to the center bridge area, stomping on a few german half squads and the 9-1/467/MMG.

IN GT2 the gun swung around again and zeroed in on the AC which it killed in UST3. By the end of german turn 3 we called the game as Bob had 18 CVP of US troops (a 7-0, crew, 81 mtr, armed jeep, Jackson TD, and 2 squads) across the bridge with 2 squads of prisoners (worth 8 CVP if counted). Since it was time to go we decided to end with Steve making the call on whether captured german prisoners counted as American VP. Steve decided they did so Bob won and got third place in the tournament. This is a very fun scenario, In hindsight I think the defender need some help, maybe another 447 (which would allow 2 squads to deploy). I also think this scenario isn’t the best for a tournament, as the gun with H7 and ROF 2 may destroy several US vehicles or none at all. If the german setup doesn’t focus on the entry roads, or the gun is out of place the scenario is also over. We’re waiting for Pete to let us know with whether prisoners should count.
View attachment 11180
Rules learnings: AP mines setup in a building with a narrow village paved road hexside may not use HIP but also may not be bypassed using the other half of the narrow road nor can they be picked up for just a MF expenditure like mines on a paved road hex.
- Riders and passengers squads may use assault fire (guaranteeing at least 2 FP in advancing fire no matter if the vehicle is moving and/or the defender is concealed).
It’s a nice time saver to know the minimum attack with assault fire is two. I found that out playing Smerniki, Russian 6-2-8 riders spayfiring at concealed units from moving tanks in the Advancing fire phase, 1/2 concealed x 1/2 moving vehicle x 1/2 advance fire x 1/2 fire off vehicle x 1/2 sprayfire = .1875 +1 round up= 2.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I almost threw in the towel on turn one but I decided to move all my guys on and let Paul have a fun massacre. I believe his first three rolls (except for ammo depletion) were under 4, at least it seemed like it. Strange thing then happened, most my armored guys were messed up but all my trucks and jeeps drove though the resid and firelanes like a Sunday drive. Basically, the opposite happened to what I thought was going to happen, armored OK and unarmored messed up. What happened was armored messed up and unarmored OK.

Last edited: