Bounding Fire Blackpool 19 AAR

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Once again I had a great time at the Bounding Fire tournament, despite not winning this year.

On Thursday afternoon, before the main tournament started I was able to play my old oppo, Neil Brunger. We had a go at the scenario donated by Peter Struijf and Chris Mazzei for the Scratch Tournament, ‘Five to One’ – a preview from their upcoming Death to Fascism 2 pack. I was the Finns attacking Russians in 1939 in an interesting scenario with high replay value as troops from both sides enter the board from multiple areas. Anyway, I gained a resounding victory which eventually won me the prize for the best Finnish performance.

Alas, my good fortune did not continue as when the tournament proper began on Friday morning, I lost the roll for sides when lined up against the player I’d defeated in last year’s final – David Blackwood. It was another interesting scenario, this time designed by Ian Willey, who’d constructed the superb diorama that was the tournament’s main prize. Unfortunately, unlike all the other scenarios I’d come across at the tournament the previous year, ‘The Sicilian Snail’ was still at what I felt was the playtest stage – it looked extremely hard on the British attacker. While I was able to give some useful feedback afterwards (reduce the 9-2 German leader to a 9-1, exchange two 1st line German squads for a 548 and make the olive groves rally terrain), it didn’t help me overcome the balance deficit and I lost on the last DR of the game. I think the scenario would have been better placed in the final round rather than the first, as at least then if one was lumbered with the disadvantaged side, having got to the final one can at least be runner-up! I guess it just proves that scenarios ideally need to be past the playtesting stage to feature in the tournament – ‘oven ready’, so to speak - though I realise that is difficult to arrange.

Anyway, technically I could still progress from the group stage and next round I funnily enough played Neil Brunger again in a monster of a scenario which I thought was possibly on the large side. We got it finished though and I won fairly easily as the defending Germans – it was an eastern front clash called ‘Desperate Bridgehead’ from the upcoming Onslaught to Orsha 2nd edition product coming out from BFP. It’s a cracking, fun scenario, but I’d argue that the Russians should only have to clear the hills of German non-crew MMC, to avoid sneaky shenanigans regarding HIP guns.

Saturday morning brought another early war Finnish scenario called ‘Karelian Sculptors’. Most people seemed to want to bid for the attacking Finns, but I deemed that a cunning defence could be crafted for the Russians, so bid for them. Once again I lost the DR and attacked with the advantage, winning the scenario reasonably comfortably. It was fun and interesting to play, but one thing I didn’t like about it was that I feel sneaky things can be achieved by the Russian player controlling hexes and locations with his AFVs, especially on a last turn dash – I’d rather have seen an SSR restricting such.

After the group stage I was now officially knocked out as the tiebreakers do not favour players with high AREA ratings. One innovation of the tournament was that the scenarios for the whole weekend were presented to players on the Friday morning, rather than each only being unveiled at the start of every round. Though this did speed things up, it meant that some players were able to play and practice the final scenario on the Saturday night, which one could argue gave them an advantage. I’d advise going back to the original system of handing out the scenarios as the rounds begin, to help get a level playing field.

Anyway, playing for fun, my opponent and I ditched the scheduled scenario ‘Schmidt’s Roadblock’, which is again set to be published in Onslaught to Orsha. This was because, for the first time, I felt that one of the proper BFP scenarios was unbalanced – it just looked like the defending Germans were hugely favoured. The results of games seemed to bear out my observation and I’m surprised that this one slipped through the net, so to speak. I played the defending ‘Dutch Marines’ instead, which is a great scenario, pitting the aforementioned forces against the Japanese. I really liked the SSR which allows one to assure oneself of SMOKE placement at the cost of immediate depletion, as the scenario could be over very quickly if the Japanese roll badly. Suffice to say it was a very close and hard-fought game, featuring one of the only successful berserk charges I have ever undertaken. I won, but it was close.

I rounded off my gaming on Sunday morning with a game of ‘Sledgehammers’ from a Friendly Fire pack, written again by the great Struijf and Mazzei team, against Nick Ranson. Though it's ROAR rating seemed to indicate a lack of balance, I felt a decent defence would be a hard nut to crack, so I took the defending British and won fairly quickly, though did have to undergo a direct hit from one of the 150mm guns on my commandoes before doing so. I really like the SSRs in this scenario that help recreate a hasty, uncoordinated German attack and the variable victory conditions - an excellent scenario.

So there you have it: another great tournament, run with supreme efficiency and friendliness by the directors. I recommend it heartily and will aim to attend next year.

Until then!

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I thought ‘Desperate Bridgehead’ was almost impossible for the Russians - the score was 8 German wins and 1 Russian win? I tried going for the village - which proved to be a mistake. The Germans just had too much firepower which could be safely placed at the back of the playing area behind a river on level 1 hexes.

Dutch Marines is a future classic.............had a great time playing that, even as the Dutch.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I concur with most if your observations but feel the Sicilian woukd be better converting some of the 548 to 467, taking away their CC advantage.
I'm not so certain about the roadblock favouring the Germans, the russian maneuver advantage is decent.
The Dutch Marines was the most impressive scenario of the weekend. Reasonably balanced but you need to use all your toys as the Japanese and the Dutch. Do you use DC heroes to open up the village got a banzai or keep thrm to deal with the armour? A nice puzzle for both sides.
I was not keen on the Kareluan Sculptors. I felt it was 2 scenarios and could be cut down to a 3.5 turn one by dropping 2 squad from the Finns and starting 2 Russian squads and entering the tanjs an 2 squads.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Russians move last, not the Germans. Do you still feel that is too problematic?

Anyway, technically I could still progress from the group stage and next round I funnily enough played Neil Brunger again in a monster of a scenario which I thought was possibly on the large side. We got it finished though and I won fairly easily as the defending Germans – it was an eastern front clash called ‘Desperate Bridgehead’ from the upcoming Onslaught to Orsha 2nd edition product coming out from BFP. It’s a cracking, fun scenario, but I’d argue that the Russians should only have to clear the hills of German non-crew MMC, to avoid sneaky shenanigans regarding HIP guns.

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The Russians move last, not the Germans. Do you still feel that is too problematic?
For 'Desperate Bridgehead'? I like the scenario but I think the Russians have to be super aggressive early on, as well as simply focus on the hills and forget the village (unless it is wholly unprotected). Having HIP crews win scenarios is just something I don't like, as it can lead to them being in silly positions, trying to eke out an existence as the Russians waste time combing through concealment terrain - it just distracts from the real battle around the bridge, village and central hill.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
For 'Desperate Bridgehead'? I like the scenario but I think the Russians have to be super aggressive early on, as well as simply focus on the hills and forget the village (unless it is wholly unprotected). Having HIP crews win scenarios is just something I don't like, as it can lead to them being in silly positions, trying to eke out an existence as the Russians waste time combing through concealment terrain - it just distracts from the real battle around the bridge, village and central hill.
Thanks for the report. Much appreciated.

I played Desperate Bridgehead twice and found it superb (hence I threw it into the tournament). I think your broad observations on the crews is reasonable. But I think the Russians have more than enough to sweep the hills and cover them with materiel in hand for a final turn sweep. Which is exactly what happened in one playing. If a German gunner wants to be sneaky rather than concentrating on knocking out the innumerable numbers of Russians then it struck me that that was fine by me.

Sadly, it was indeed too big for a UK tournament. Few people bought into the 'zeitgeist' or 'brief'...I think I wasted my breath trying a rousing 'throw the counters down and play ball' speech. Struck me that people defeated themselves with the scenario before even rolling the dice once. And for want of a better phrase the community didn't really rise to the occasion (with of course notable exceptions).

Lesson learnt. It's 5 turn 'tournament scenario sized' stuff in future and anyone who tells me that small tournament scenarios are a bit too dicey better be wearing a good helmet :giggle:

I'm glad you enjoyed the tournament. Not so much for me this time I'm afraid. I tried to push the boundaries and the boundaries pushed back. And I found it all a little bit soul destroying if I'm honest.

Last edited:

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Stop being such a pansy. There are southerners watching.

It was a fantastic tournament and the proof will be there when everyone is back again next year. What people particularly like is:
  1. Completely random draws where anyone can play anyone. I do think seeding makes it very difficult for lower rated players. Resulting in less interest in going into a tourney and more people just playing games outside. Something like 50/50 in other tourneys lately but that trend reversed here.
  2. The scenarios being given just before you play. I admit I was sceptical as I thought this would just mean people playing without reading the SSRs and VCs properly but I was wrong. It's a weight off your shoulders that you don't have to prep in advance (who has time these days) and you can play things you like in the run up when you do get a chance.
  3. The prizes are fecking awesome. A free copy of Onslaught to Orsha II AND a diorama that could be sold professionally for winning AND a scenario pack for getting out the group stages. This year I can let my children eat at Christmas. Instead of having to eat one of them.
Girls blouse.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Looks like I'll have to keep my eye on eBay Craig. I'll never win the stuff so maybe I can buy it cheap.

It is the one thing I don't like about the tourny - I pay my tourny fee to Martin and it goes towards adding to yours or Toby's ASL collection. ;)

I shall now go and finish my shandy...............

And on a serious note please thank Battleschool for the dice that I won Martin - they are so nice that I have not even thought of putting them on eBay, unlike Craig:).

Gamer72

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Looks like I'll have to keep my eye on eBay Craig. I'll never win the stuff so maybe I can buy it cheap.

It is the one thing I don't like about the tourny - I pay my tourny fee to Martin and it goes towards adding to yours or Toby's ASL collection. ;)

And on a serious note please thank Battleschool for the dice that I won Martin - they are so nice that I have not even thought of putting them on eBay, unlike Craig:).

How much do you think you’d get for Craig on EBay ?

Gamer72

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for the report. Much appreciated.

I played Desperate Bridgehead twice and found it superb (hence I threw it into the tournament). I think your broad observations on the crews is reasonable. But I think the Russians have more than enough to sweep the hills and cover them with materiel in hand for a final turn sweep. Which is exactly what happened in one playing. If a German gunner wants to be sneaky rather than concentrating on knocking out the innumerable numbers of Russians then it struck me that that was fine by me.

Sadly, it was indeed too big for a UK tournament. Few people bought into the 'zeitgeist' or 'brief'...I think I wasted my breath trying a rousing 'throw the counters down and play ball' speech. Struck me that people defeated themselves with the scenario before even rolling the dice once. And for want of a better phrase the community didn't really rise to the occasion (with of course notable exceptions).

Lesson learnt. It's 5 turn 'tournament scenario sized' stuff in future and anyone who tells me that small tournament scenarios are a bit too dicey better be wearing a good helmet :giggle:

I'm glad you enjoyed the tournament. Not so much for me this time I'm afraid. I tried to push the boundaries and the boundaries pushed back. And I found it all a little bit soul destroying if I'm honest.

I hope this doesn’t mean that Bounding Fire is about to become Final Fire ...

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom

It was a fantastic tournament and the proof will be there when everyone is back again next year. What people particularly like is:
  1. Completely random draws where anyone can play anyone. I do think seeding makes it very difficult for lower rated players. Resulting in less interest in going into a tourney and more people just playing games outside. Something like 50/50 in other tourneys lately but that trend reversed here.
  2. The scenarios being given just before you play. I admit I was sceptical as I thought this would just mean people playing without reading the SSRs and VCs properly but I was wrong. It's a weight off your shoulders that you don't have to prep in advance (who has time these days) and you can play things you like in the run up when you do get a chance.
  3. The prizes are fecking awesome. A free copy of Onslaught to Orsha II AND a diorama that could be sold professionally for winning AND a scenario pack for getting out the group stages. This year I can let my children eat at Christmas. Instead of having to eat one of them.
Girls blouse.
I agree it was a fantastic tournament, I thoroughly enjoyed it and managed to grab third place hence i'm a fan of the 'randomnator'. Only downside for me was that I thought that I won the most snakes/sixes in my third place playoff and found out after that the prizes had already bee handed out. In future, it would be good to know when the cut off for this is.

I agree with Toby's comments on Sicilian Snail re possible changes. I thoroughly enjoyed the large Russian scenario (play large scenarios most of the time) although this goes down as my worst played game all weekend. After hearing everyone talking about the 'wobbly' bridges pre-game, I obviously ignored this and lost an IS2 due to a collapsed bridge. Also inadvertently managed to keep my best leader off map by mistake for most of the game.

The Dutch Marines is an excellent scenario, never played PTO before and hence opted for the Dutch. Had a cracking game against Neil Brunger in the third/fourth play off and was lucky to secure a Dutch win on the last turn.

Overall, great few days and meeting friends new and old. Look forward to next year!

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Only downside for me was that I thought that I won the most snakes/sixes in my third place playoff and found out after that the prizes had already bee handed out. In future, it would be good to know when the cut off for this is.
Ian, I won both of those prizes. The cut-off was 6 p.m. Sunday when Graham and I gave up on Dutch marines. You'll have to talk to Martin but I think that I was a clear winner on both.
I gave the Double One prize to Tim for his outstanding double one dice roll and the double sixes went to Neil as a congratulations for him sharking me on the first game of the tourny?He likes those figures - he had two on the table when we played that game. If I had kept them they would just get crushed in all my kit which would be a great shame.
If I am lucky / unlucky enough to win either of them next year be sure to remind me and you are welcome to the figurine.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ian, I won both of those prizes. The cut-off was 6 p.m. Sunday when Graham and I gave up on Dutch marines. You'll have to talk to Martin but I think that I was a clear winner on both.
I gave the Double One prize to Tim for his outstanding double one dice roll and the double sixes went to Neil as a congratulations for him sharking me on the first game of the tourny?He likes those figures - he had two on the table when we played that game. If I had kept them they would just get crushed in all my kit which would be a great shame.
If I am lucky / unlucky enough to win either of them next year be sure to remind me and you are welcome to the figurine.
Joe, no sour grapes from me!

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm pretty sure if the prizes had been for the largest disparity between the number of snakes and boxcars rolled, I would have walked it. I have never rolled so many snakes (I think oveer 20) and so few boxcars (3 total!) in one weekend! Every scenario I played was "broken" due to insane luck on my part!:)

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine

The alternative (the only one I can see) is that we don't re-invest the money back into prizes and so forth and just.....pocket the cash ourselves to fund our weekends. I'd be more than happy to do that mate.

Or you can keep practising so you can beat Craig/Toby. Remember, David Blackwood got runner up last year...and no disrespect to him he's way down in the Crusader ladder ratings. It can happen.

Re dice - No problem. Our pleasure.

Last edited:

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden

Word!

Phil_Draper

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Wow, so I drop out of the hobby because I can't find a game in Norway, among other reasons. Pop my head in to Gamesquad just for old times sake and find Toby has come out of retirement! Lots of names I recognize and even see Jonesy is lurking in France. Hope all is well with all my old opponents have a great Christmas, looks like I need to consider coming back to the UK for a game.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Wow, so I drop out of the hobby because I can't find a game in Norway, among other reasons. Pop my head in to Gamesquad just for old times sake and find Toby has come out of retirement! Lots of names I recognize and even see Jonesy is lurking in France. Hope all is well with all my old opponents have a great Christmas, looks like I need to consider coming back to the UK for a game.
There is tournament in Norway, one seat left. Check out http://www.baslo.no

Cheers,

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Wow, so I drop out of the hobby because I can't find a game in Norway
OK - what did you do in England that was so bad you ended up in Stavanger?

Congratulations if you are earning Norwegian krona - the strongest currency in the world ?