Hatten CG - it's a junkyard

Jeff Sewall

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Took a snapshot of the middle of the map of our Hatten CG-I prior to setup for the final CG day. Believe it or not, there are still a few functioning AFV's available for the final day. Several hexes have 2 wrecks; one hex even has 3.

Here's a summary of the 1st 4 CG days:
9Jan: German Day Assault by SSR; at end of the day, Germans dominate 4 victory hexes: M7, T7, DD6, Y13
10Jan: German Dawn Assault; Germans add 3 more victory hexes, D13, K13, J17, but push the panzers too far and a couple Panthers bite the dust on the American counter-attack
11Jan: German Dawn Assault; Germans open hard but are soon on the defensive; at end of the day, Americans get Y13 back, and the German victory hex total stands at 6, which is the number needed to win the CG.
12Jan: Germans go Idle and Americans choose the Dusk Assault; Americans push hard in the north and gain back D13 and J17; Germans push hard in the south and gain back Y13. Bloodiest day so far -- Americans sustain losses of 154 CPP and Germans lose 96.

So going into 13Jan, the Germans dominate 5 victory hexes. Americans chose Dawn Assault and Germans chose Day Assault. So the Americans get the first punch, but the Germans move last and get the 6th turn option. Has been a lot of fun and I'm sure the final day won't disappoint.

Andrew Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llAustralia

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We are preparing for CG day 4 - both the Germans and Americans took Idle on day three. Our map looks similar - it should be even closer after day 4 - that battle is going to be big.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
W
Hi, nice write up ... very historical ... good luck on the last day ...

For pictures of what some of these wrecks actually looked like on the Hatten-Rittershoffen battlefield see:

For the Hatten-Rittershoffen post-battlefield map of all of the wreck locations see:

Andy Rogers (Hatten designer)
:eek: WOW, a couple of those Shermans really took some hits. It looks as if one has an exit hole (hard for me to discern though) in the rear possibly from a round penetrating and exiting the entire hull (including the engine block). I know we were able to do that with 90's & 105's on tank ranges against Shermans at about 1500m, but seeing one on a WW-II battlefield puts a chill down my spine.

PS. Great work on the site an thanks for the pdf download on the battle.?

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

For pictures of what some of these wrecks actually looked like on the Hatten-Rittershoffen battlefield see:

For the Hatten-Rittershoffen post-battlefield map of all of the wreck locations see:

Hate to double post but just wanted to let you know, you did an outstanding job in the PDF recap of the Battles for Hatten-Rittershoffen. Well written and very informative; my hat's off to you (and with my lack of folical cover, that's saying a lot)!:giggle:

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Excellent reference material. I need to get around to playing this HASL .

Koestler

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
We are at at 54 now - #50 is a German AC which ventures into the LOS of a US ATG (L12); #51 is a Sherman who thought he could sneak past a German TD (R19); #52 is another Sherman, who served under an inept US commander, who allowed a baz to be captured (E17); #53 is the aforementioned German TD, who was sneaking up upon another Sherman and hoped it had not packed APCR (R19) and #54 is a German ht, who was hunted down by that TD-Ferrari hybrid (DD15).

Picture: during US turn 3 movement

Attachments

Koestler

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Our CG has come to an end. Strategically, the US were losing. During day 5, they were pushed out of the D13 and the J17 victory hexes. The US could retake J17, but the forces sent to D13 were decimated by artilery. However, far to the right, an opportunity arose and US tanks took the graveyard position. The Germans threw everything they had onto it, but US OBA (aided by a very lucky drift) stopped them. One of the tanks securing victory for the US was a survivor from day 1, one of only 3 tanks to survive the CG.

Attachments