A.1 - Dices

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden

What does A.1 mean unto the legality of using unholy non BV dices?

:eek:

:D

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A.1 DICE: The rules often require use of a colored die to differentiate it from the other die in use. A set of four dice of different colors is included in ASL Module 1:BEYOND VALOR.

It doesn't say you have to use the dice included in BV. It only says that dice is included in BV.

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
it is implied AND I think it ´grants more legality to the use of BV dices dice before other (heretic dices dice).

Furthermore one MUST be white in any case. (Heehee I can see many unexpected wins in upcoming games :sneaky:

Since this is the rule section I may to say that this Q is a little on the fun side but an interesting dive into rule interpretations nevertheless.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As a minor point of English, dice is the plural of the cube with one-six pips on it while "dices" is a form of the verb "to dice", to cut into cubes ("he dices onions deftly, while I frequently cut my fingers"). The singular of the gaming cube is a die or sometimes, according to one source I found, a dice.

JR

Last edited:

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
As a minor point of English, dice is the plural of the cube with one-six pips on it while "dices" is a form of the verb "to dice", to cut into cubes ("he dices onions deftly, while I frequently cut my fingers"). The singular of the gaming cube is a die or sometimes, according to one source I found, a dice.

JR
Thanks very important. But as no onions was found in the BV box I think it was easy to understand, despite my failure in the English, for the common man. English is not my first language unfortunately.

The thread name was cunningly (albeit ignorantly) picked to define the rule nit picking :)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Meant as a point of information, not as a flame or anything. The English vocabulary is a mish-mash of many languages, and it's easy to find words used in it that are irregular and beyond. I pity the fool that learns the English language.

JR

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Use what ever dice you want. If I think the dice you have are wonky, we can share or you can let me use them and I will give you a pair of mine :) -- jim

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
it is implied AND I think it ´grants more legality to the use of BV dices dice before other (heretic dices dice).

Furthermore one MUST be white in any case. (Heehee I can see many unexpected wins in upcoming games :sneaky:

Since this is the rule section I may to say that this Q is a little on the fun side but an interesting dive into rule interpretations nevertheless.
This is ASL .. nothing is implied, otherwise your dig at typical ASL rule nitpicking comes up weaker. But yes, one must be white. :)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Use what ever dice you want. If I think the dice you have are wonky, we can share or you can let me use them and I will give you a pair of mine :) -- jim
No, we can't share. You can take mine if you like, and I'll get out another set. But no sharing. And I have a spare dice glass; no sharing that either.

JR

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Do the rules mandate the use of a 'white' die or that one must be designated as the 'colored' die for ROF, hit location determination, etc.? Can I not use a red, designated as the 'color' die and a yellow die?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Do the rules mandate the use of a 'white' die or that one must be designated as the 'colored' die for ROF, hit location determination, etc.? Can I not use a red, designated as the 'color' die and a yellow die?
Yes, you must use a white die. No, you may not claim that a die of another color is white, nor may you paint it or use it under colored lights or in any situation that disguises the white nature of the cube [EXC: at Christmas you may use it under red and green lights].

JR

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
So if you don't have a white die, you can't play ASL. If my opponent loses his white die he would have to forfeit, yes, ......... this might work. Beets, beats depending on luck to win like my present strategy.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You can play asl as long as you can avoid getting into a situation that requires you to make a DR.

JR

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
No, we can't share. You can take mine if you like, and I'll get out another set. But no sharing. And I have a spare dice glass; no sharing that either.

JR
I didn't say share was the only option JR. You can step off the ledge now. ;) -- jim

CrosleyPup

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was playing in a tournament and had grabbed the wrong dice for a small mortar shot. It missed with some high number, but my opponent pointed out that I didn't use a white dice. I said ok, my bad, I'll make sure the next time. He insisted though that I re-roll the shot with the correct dice. Of course I then rolled a critical hit and took out his main MG.
Be careful what you insist upon.....

Bill

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Meant as a point of information, not as a flame or anything. The English vocabulary is a mish-mash of many languages, and it's easy to find words used in it that are irregular and beyond. I pity the fool that learns the English language.

JR
I know this is off topic, but I just had to. 11021

FourDeuceMF

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm usually pretty open with the dice. Best is that we both share the same set (typically do that when playing the game vs. my son), but I realize that folks are funny about them bones...and there's some out there that just don't wash their hands enough for me to be sharing the same dice cup with. ;-)

My only real 'pet peeve' is the run of 'ASL Vanity Dice' that replace the ones with some other symbol...some replace the sixes. Yeah, they're supposedly balanced, but damn, just keep to the 'pips' from one to six, and no one gets hurt... ?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
A.1 DICE: The rules often require use of a colored die to differentiate it from the other die in use. A set of four dice of different colors is included in ASL Module 1:BEYOND VALOR.

It doesn't say you have to use the dice included in BV. It only says that dice is included in BV.
If anyone tells me that I MUST use precision dice or both players MUST use the same dice or MUST do exactly like and only like he wants, then I point him to A.1 and claim - just for the fun of it - that he MUST use BV dice. ?

von Marwitz