Where are the Stukas in Red Factories?

GamerKirk

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, besides the lack of Russian mortars, it seems that Beyond Valor and Red Factories is not enough to satisfy my German opponent's need for FOUR Stukas in our first RO scenario X-Tag (I know, really unfortunate result for me as the Russians). They may exist in some other module, but we can't find them, only three... Is this yet another poor counter makeup for the 6 sheets included in RF?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, besides the lack of Russian mortars, it seems that Beyond Valor and Red Factories is not enough to satisfy my German opponent's need for FOUR Stukas in our first RO scenario X-Tag (I know, really unfortunate result for me as the Russians). They may exist in some other module, but we can't find them, only three... Is this yet another poor counter makeup for the 6 sheets included in RF?
Yup, noticed that as well (fortunately I had other counters I could use). One can only surmise a reason for these omissions but for the newer player that does not have a current availability of other products that may provide a reasonable substitute for these units, it can be a mild irritant.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Given the non persistent nature of aircraft, you only need one counter most of the time. I suppose if you get caught up in dogfight this might be different.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Given the non persistent nature of aircraft, you only need one counter most of the time. I suppose if you get caught up in dogfight this might be different.
The new RF rules can give your three DB at the same time. I think there's only three in Beyond Valor - could be more in later printings. I think Yanks has a couple as well. I'd just use a DB as a substitute if need be.

I think HASL CG can never really guarantee that one won't have a shortage of certain types of counters. IIRC, the orignal Red Barricades box said one required Beyond Valor and Yanks to play - but that wasn't really a guarantee one had all the counters one needed. Depending on RG purchases certain combinations could lead to a shortage of certain counters.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I think HASL CG can never really guarantee that one won't have a shortage of certain types of counters. IIRC, the orignal Red Barricades box said one required Beyond Valor and Yanks to play - but that wasn't really a guarantee one had all the counters one needed. Depending on RG purchases certain combinations could lead to a shortage of certain counters.
I remember several people in my gaming circle in the '90s bought second copy of BV just to have enough counters to play RB campaign games. So this is not a new thing.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The new RF rules can give your four DB at the same time. I think there's only three in Beyond Valor - could be more in later printings. I think Yanks has a couple as well. I'd just use a DB as a substitute if need be.
I think you meant "four" instead of "three". The Stuka RG was upgraded from 1-3 aircraft to 2-4. There are only three '42 DBs in the first-edition system, which I believe came in Yanks.

JR

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I've never understood why you need more than one of any of them as they only move on the map board when attacking, and only one attacks at a time.
Keep them in a nice prominent stack beside the game and gently caress them every time your opponent moves a unit.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The new RF rules can give your three DB at the same time. I think there's only three in Beyond Valor - could be more in later printings. I think Yanks has a couple as well. I'd just use a DB as a substitute if need be.

Although you can get 4 at once, only 1 counter is ever in play at anytime unless it is locked up in a dogfight.

GamerKirk

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes to everything, FOUR can be had in RF if you opponent, like mine, rolls well, and we use them to keep track of bomb loads, so three is not enough. I guess with proper notes, ASL could be played with maybe one squad on each side, and lots of notes... ;).

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've never understood why you need more than one of any of them as they only move on the map board when attacking, and only one attacks at a time.
Yes, and the same could be said for SW as well. Just use a single one for aech type and make side notes to its status as it used around the board. It has the added benefit of increasing the FOW aspect.;)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Yes to everything, FOUR can be had in RF if you opponent, like mine, rolls well, and we use them to keep track of bomb loads, so three is not enough. I guess with proper notes, ASL could be played with maybe one squad on each side, and lots of notes... ;).
As a workaround, use a '39 DB.

JR