Heretical OBA rules

Do you use the heretical OBA rule when you play an ASL scenario?

• yes, every game with OBA

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • if we determine the OBA module is critical to the scenario

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • never, not a chance..... heretic!

Votes: 13 38.2%

• Total voters

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Lost Bloody Bois Jacques when I had 80% of his attacking force broken and harrassing fire would have kept them that way but I rolled 12 on the field phone use.
Just how much are you willing to remove fate wise?
Having played the modified Pleva OBA rules in Hatten, I have no problem with them. There we had one OBA mission that drew 4 red cards in a row. Impressive when you only have 1 red to 3 black.

Reactions: Roy

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
It´s not about winning or losing.. and It´s not about fate… It´s about Fog of war looking for an interesting game... In your case, a non-contact roll is enough to get this effect.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And there should be a rule to disallow special ammo depletion as well. I would strongly recommend a change to that rule to the effect that once one has rolled for special ammo but it would normally have been depleted, just simply reduce the special ammo for that ordnance piece by one. Nothing ruins a scenario faster than having a weapon with a s9 and rolling a 10 on its initial shot. Your opponent now knows that this is out of the action for its intended purpose and it adversely effects your whole game plan (and for units with limited AP or HEAT its an even worse situation). Perhaps disallowing a disablement of any weapon system should seriously be considered.:unsure:
My idea is simple, each unit gets at least one round of each special ammo and the TH DR determines if that special ammo is retained. I want to stop that double DR bs.

Last edited:

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Lost Bloody Bois Jacques when I had 80% of his attacking force broken and harrassing fire would have kept them that way but I rolled 12 on the field phone use.
Just how much are you willing to remove fate wise?
Having played the modified Pleva OBA rules in Hatten, I have no problem with them. There we had one OBA mission that drew 4 red cards in a row. Impressive when you only have 1 red to 3 black.
just under a 1 in 250 chance.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can't convince me that a scenario that has OBA on the card is balanced if I get two red cards as my first two pulls. If it is still balanced, then take it out. Getting it unbalances an otherwise good scenario. If it isn't balanced without the OBA, then protect me against a double red, which is what the Pleva variant does. I believe Steve has done the math and the mission count doesn't vary too much from one to the other at around 6 turns or less. You would have to ask Steve for the math (or get someone smarter than I to do it).

Personally, unless there is an SSR to the effect "The first card is black", I won't play an OBA scenario without these rules in play for the above stated reason. JMO, YMMV. -- jim
Pleva rules! (in more ways than one).

Just got Objective Schmidt and looking thru the scenarios almost every (except tiny ones) scenario had one or both sides with OBA, sometime multiples OBA for one side. The Pleva OBA rule would be a requirement before I started playing scenarios in this pack.

I wish his Entrenchment rules had as much ground swell as the OBA one...

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And there should be a rule to disallow special ammo depletion as well. I would strongly recommend a change to that rule to the effect that once one has rolled for special ammo but it would normally have been depleted, just simply reduce the special ammo for that ordnance piece by one. Nothing ruins a scenario faster than having a weapon with a s9 and rolling a 10 on its initial shot. Your opponent now knows that this is out of the action for its intended purpose and it adversely effects your whole game plan (and for units with limited AP or HEAT its an even worse situation). Perhaps disallowing a disablement of any weapon system should seriously be considered.:unsure:
Eventually these things devolve into threads where everyone's grudge gets a new rule. Yes, it sucks, but deal with it and move on. I can imagine the record-keeping nightmare the above suggestion would require (though I realize you may have been saying this in sarcasm mode).

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pleva rules! (in more ways than one).

Just got Objective Schmidt and looking thru the scenarios almost every (except tiny ones) scenario had one or both sides with OBA, sometime multiples OBA for one side. The Pleva OBA rule would be a requirement before I started playing scenarios in this pack.

I wish his Entrenchment rules had as much ground swell as the OBA one...
I always play in the Gor-Gor mini at ASLOK, I was pissed when I forgot about the rule change and had my chance to skulk away but stayed in the stupid foxhole, Douh?, had my chance and ruined it.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Of all alternate OBA rules, i prefer the recent "Rogers Rule" (Hatten CG6).

Its innovation is to reduce the number of red chits to one, although the red one is always reshuffled into the pile if drawn (no more OBA cancellation when two chits are drawn).

That way you keep uncertainty in timing, but certainty in outcomes (ie you get the expected number of OBA missions at the end of the scenario, which is achieved given an adequate ratio between the number of black chits and the number of turns). For instance, in Hatten, the draw pile is 3/1, so you get your three missions for your CG day.

Medium-size scenario designers could usefully recycle Hatten CG6, possibly by tweaking the number of black chits to suit their purposes.

Last edited: