New members introduce yourself here

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've know of VASSAL for a long time but never bothered to check it out - call it laziness, some hint of old age (I started playing games long before PCs so I'm a touch nostalgic about pushing cardboard), and probably not that tech savvy. But maybe, just maybe, you've convinced me. It's certainly frequently discussed. Thanks for the information and the warm welcome!
I'm in my late 60's, if I can figure it out, anyone can (and it opens up a whole new gaming world)! :cool:

Conall

Reaction score
Country
ll
Coming back to Advanced Squad Leader

I don’t remember how old I was when I picked up a copy of Squad Leader, ten or eleven perhaps so sometime in the very early 1980s. Playing the Guards Counterattack and Hill 621 with my elder brother was an eye opener and immense fun. This began a two decades love affair first with Squad Leader and then with ASL. I think the last module I bought was either Kampfgruppe Peiper I or ASL Solitaire. Sadly working life, frequent travel and other hobbies meant my interest in ASL gradually declined. The reality was that it wasn’t (and still isn’t) a game well suited to solitaire play and once my elder brother left home I no longer had a regular playing partner. And ASL felt like it had become mind bogglingly complicated and not really worth the investment in time in comparison to other stalwarts like Breakout Normandy or the easy attraction of computer games like Close Combat and Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord. Finally – and most sadly – all my ASL collection disappeared when my parents moved house about seven years ago.

Time went by and along came children – two wonderful boys – and playing board games has once again happily become a regular part of my life. While they are still a little young (eight & six) for complicated board based wargames it has got me thinking about them again. Initially this got me thinking about Avalon Hill’s 1975 classic Tobruk – probably the first proper wargame my brother and I played together. Having got a copy off Ebay this in turn led me to fond memories of Squad Leader and the classic Guards Counterattack. After another foray on Ebay I got hold of this and happily replayed the scenario which remained as fun as ever. But it also reminded me that in most respects ASL was a better game mechanism albeit a far more complex one. And therein lay my quandary, I really didn’t want to relearn ASL nor did I want to reinvest heavily in it again especially in the absence of a regular playing partner.

Although happily replaying Squad Leader / Cross of Iron (yep, got that too) I still hankered after ASL and the huge improvements in defensive fire and movement. Then, through the wonders of the internet, came salvation in the twin form of Jay Richardson and the ASL Starter Kit! This is what I had been looking for: something using the ASL system yet designed to be relatively easy to learn and use. More forays on Ebay later and I’m now working my way through the Starter Kit scenarios, which have been an absolute blast, while reacquainting myself with the rules. Jay’s guide to learning the rules have been an absolute godsend and a pleasure to read as well. I am forever in his debt.

ASL SK has been just what I needed to relearn the essential rules and reignite my enthusiasm for ASL. As a result I’ve taken the plunge and bought the ASL rules (2nd Ed) , Beyond Valor and Yanks! More importantly I have begun, using the Starter Kit scenarios, the vital process of teaching my partner the rules to ensure I have a regular face to face opponent (she already plays a mean game of Wings of Glory). And after that I will start introducing my sons to the joys of ASL – any tips as how to best do this would be gratefully received. In the meantime I’m having a blast.

Tom

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

I don’t remember how old I was when I picked up a copy of Squad Leader, ten or eleven perhaps so sometime in the very early 1980s. Playing the Guards Counterattack and Hill 621 with my elder brother was an eye opener and immense fun. This began a two decades love affair first with Squad Leader and then with ASL. I think the last module I bought was either Kampfgruppe Peiper I or ASL Solitaire. Sadly working life, frequent travel and other hobbies meant my interest in ASL gradually declined. The reality was that it wasn’t (and still isn’t) a game well suited to solitaire play and once my elder brother left home I no longer had a regular playing partner. And ASL felt like it had become mind bogglingly complicated and not really worth the investment in time in comparison to other stalwarts like Breakout Normandy or the easy attraction of computer games like Close Combat and Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord. Finally – and most sadly – all my ASL collection disappeared when my parents moved house about seven years ago.

Time went by and along came children – two wonderful boys – and playing board games has once again happily become a regular part of my life. While they are still a little young (eight & six) for complicated board based wargames it has got me thinking about them again. Initially this got me thinking about Avalon Hill’s 1975 classic Tobruk – probably the first proper wargame my brother and I played together. Having got a copy off Ebay this in turn led me to fond memories of Squad Leader and the classic Guards Counterattack. After another foray on Ebay I got hold of this and happily replayed the scenario which remained as fun as ever. But it also reminded me that in most respects ASL was a better game mechanism albeit a far more complex one. And therein lay my quandary, I really didn’t want to relearn ASL nor did I want to reinvest heavily in it again especially in the absence of a regular playing partner.

Although happily replaying Squad Leader / Cross of Iron (yep, got that too) I still hankered after ASL and the huge improvements in defensive fire and movement. Then, through the wonders of the internet, came salvation in the twin form of Jay Richardson and the ASL Starter Kit! This is what I had been looking for: something using the ASL system yet designed to be relatively easy to learn and use. More forays on Ebay later and I’m now working my way through the Starter Kit scenarios, which have been an absolute blast, while reacquainting myself with the rules. Jay’s guide to learning the rules have been an absolute godsend and a pleasure to read as well. I am forever in his debt.

ASL SK has been just what I needed to relearn the essential rules and reignite my enthusiasm for ASL. As a result I’ve taken the plunge and bought the ASL rules (2nd Ed) , Beyond Valor and Yanks! More importantly I have begun, using the Starter Kit scenarios, the vital process of teaching my partner the rules to ensure I have a regular face to face opponent (she already plays a mean game of Wings of Glory). And after that I will start introducing my sons to the joys of ASL – any tips as how to best do this would be gratefully received. In the meantime I’m having a blast.

Tom
Welcome back to the fold, Tom.

Note that novadays there is VASL around. This presents the possiblity to play people all around the world (Starter Kit and ASL). It will get you in contact with many people who play the game (besides this forum) and you will also find people who can teach you and speed up the process of (re-)learning the rules. VASL fundamentally changed my play and was an eye-opener.

von Marwitz

Conall

Reaction score
Country
ll
Welcome back to the fold, Tom.

Note that novadays there is VASL around. This presents the possiblity to play people all around the world (Starter Kit and ASL). It will get you in contact with many people who play the game (besides this forum) and you will also find people who can teach you and speed up the process of (re-)learning the rules. VASL fundamentally changed my play and was an eye-opener.

von Marwitz
Thanks for the helpful advice. Much appreciated.

VASL is on the list (along with an affordable copy of For King & Country :eek:). Once I feel I’ve got to grips with the rules again I’ll give that a try. It definitely seems the way forward. Plus VASL seems better equipped to resist the depredations of my evil felines (apparently dice & counters are the perfect kitty toys! And why wouldn’t I want one of my cats to walk across a perfectly set up board? :mad:).

Incidentally do most people use Perspex/glass overlays with their boards? And what size is recommended? Thanks.

Tom

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Incidentally do most people use Perspex/glass overlays with their boards? And what size is recommended? Thanks.

Tom
You've got countless approaches:
Some people play on "unprotected" boards. Some laminate their boards. Some cut their boards in two halves and laminate them. Some use one or more plexiglass sheets they put over their boards.

If you use plexi, you should be aware that if it is too thick, it might get a bit difficult to draw exact LOS because it is a bit like looking at a fish beneath the surface of the water. As for the size of the plexi: I believe the most common size is cut to fit 3 or 4 geo-boards with some margin at the sides. Some people use different size of plexi depending on the scenario they play. Maybe the plexi-users can give more detailed insight with regard to the strength of the material and the width x length in inches.

von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Tom
Welcome back Tom. The one way I would approach movement from ASLSK to ASL, especially if teaching someone, is to roughly use the step process worked out in the SL system. That is to say for instance, once you have ASLSK down pat (at least to feeling good about it), introduce them to building levels (Hills are already fairly common to them so this is a natural step). Since Terrain is is the basic backbone of all scenarios, I would look for relatively less complex scenarios that introduce you to the most common types of terrain not covered by ASLSK and then progress from there. The one area that I would steer clear of in the presentation order as given in SL is OBA. This is encountered so seldom in ASL, that its inclusion in a learning environment is best left until much later and then only when you want to play a scenario with OBA just to learn the rules. Needless to say, don't overwhelm your basic trainee, mold that little putty mind one step at a time.;)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
VASL seemed like a good option, but I am reluctant to impose my inexperience on another VASL player.
You should not be concerned. There are many players around of all experience levels and quite a number will be willing to play a scenario to teach you. This will speed up your learning curve very significantly.

von Marwitz

Fortunato

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
hello. newbie here

I've stumbled over ASL a year or so ago, when my son was born and I was spending a lot of late night and early morning hours browsing through BGG on the hunt for interesting games whilst nurturing the little fella.
Starting with SK1, I tried to learn the game by myself, as most of my regular gaming pals found it hard to stomach (it surely isn't X-Wing). I quickly bought the Full Rules, along with BV, Yanks (and, since then, most of the other modules currently in print [not too many, obviously]).

Unable to find a FTF tutor in my region (Karlsruhe, Germany), I soon found an experienced player via VASSAL who was (and is) willing to teach me. Of course, I get obliterated most of the time.

GS made it onto my daily reading list, so I figured it would be a decent move to at least say hello.
Hello. :)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Well, all the best to your baby and your family and welcome!

In fact, I have been in a similar situation a couple of years ago.

There are quite a number of players here in Germany and also active on VASL. Furthermore, there is even an ASL tournament in Germany held each hear at the beginning of November - Grenadier. There is also some free play going on besides the tournament. If you want to get in touch and actually meet German ASLers (and of course many guests from abroad) that's the place.

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/grenadier´18-asl-tournament-germany-31-10-04-11-2018.146558/

If you happen to see me play on the VASL server, drop me a PM and we can let you listen in to Skype. That way it is easier to follow a game and to learn things.

von Marwitz

Fortunato

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
there is even an ASL tournament in Germany held each hear at the beginning of November - Grenadier.
My tutor, low may he roll, has already invited me. I'll attend if I can somehow fit into my schedule.

If you happen to see me play on the VASL server, drop me a PM and we can let you listen in to Skype. That way it is easier to follow a game and to learn things.
Thank you for your generous offer!

OberZopf

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy from Texas,

my name is Bill Zopff, a new member to Gamesquad. Have been a ASL fan since the beginning, having teethed on Squad Leader by AH; among other AH bookshelf games. I’m also fond of 6mm GHQ Micro Armor and ASL Miniatures play.

For the last several years I’ve been developing a Grossdeutschland Infantry Regiment/Division Solitaire Campaign while learning the SASL System from the 1st Edition perspective. Welcome any advice on: Bots, playing aids and Sequence of Play.

Have been a long time WW2 history, studying the ETO extensively. As a new graduate in GIS, look forward to performing cartographic studies of histories battlefields.

Until next we meet on the field of battle!

Bill (Wild Bill) Zopff
My comic book hero is portrayed in my Avatar, guess who?

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
Howdy from Texas,

my name is Bill Zopff, a new member to Gamesquad. Have been a ASL fan since the beginning, having teethed on Squad Leader by AH; among other AH bookshelf games. I’m also fond of 6mm GHQ Micro Armor and ASL Miniatures play.

For the last several years I’ve been developing a Grossdeutschland Infantry Regiment/Division Solitaire Campaign while learning the SASL System from the 1st Edition perspective. Welcome any advice on: Bots, playing aids and Sequence of Play.

Have been a long time WW2 history, studying the ETO extensively. As a new graduate in GIS, look forward to performing cartographic studies of histories battlefields.

Bill (Wild Bill) Zopff
Welcome aboard from a relatively new member. I assure you that the members here are eager to share their knowledge of all aspects of ASL and of military history.
Ed

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Howdy from Texas,

Bill (Wild Bill) Zopff
Welcome aboard Bill! You'll find Gamesquad to be full of the biggest nerds, trolls, and braggarts excellent gentlemen who are always up for a game, ready to help, and happy to discuss all things ASL. You'll also find among them, many true experts (myself not included!): both on WWII and on the ASLRB.

OberZopf

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome aboard from a relatively new member. I assure you that the members here are eager to share their knowledge of all aspects of ASL and of military history.
Ed
Hello Ed,

Thanks for the Welcome. Your Avatar indicates you may be a ACW buff. My favorite authors are Michael and Jeff Shaara; Books by them: G&G, KA, and others. Currently reading Sickles at Gettysburg, by J. Hessler.

Bill

Tamerlan

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hi from Paris, France.
I started playing wargames in 1981, with the games published in the Jeux & Stratégies magazine, Panzer Leader and Squad Leader (quickly followed by the other three gamettes), and also D&D and AD&D. Then other wargames (WS&IM, Cry Havoc, Gulk Strike, etc.) and Call of Cthulhu up to 1992 when I only played ASL for a few years until I stopped all wargaming around 1998.
I came back to the wargaming hobby in 2011 with all kinds of games (period, scale, systems), and to ASL in 2017.
I used to come here to check some perrysez and some news about ASL, but not contributing, up to now.

This is a great forum :)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy from Texas,

Bill (Wild Bill) Zopff
Welcome to the site Bill and back to SLv2, ASL. Feel free to reach out to almost everyone here for help, advice or even a game or two via VASL live, VASL-PBEM (if you haven't gotten VASL yet, highly recommended you do so) or with you living in TX a good chance for a face-to-face play (there's a robust community of some great people there). As for other sources, you've probably noticed a thread that leads you to ASL resources provided on this forum and I would certainly be remiss should I not direct you to Klas Malmstrom's "Perry Says" PDF download (one of several on his site) that can be accessed in the Rules thread under The Unofficial Perry Says Q&A on Gamesquad in a PDF file sub-thread. There are several other outstanding ASL sites out there, especially the free BANZAI magazine produced by the Texas ASL organization. Best to you and roll low (best tactical advice I can give you)!

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
Hi from Paris, France.
I started playing wargames in 1981, with the games published in the Jeux & Stratégies magazine, Panzer Leader and Squad Leader (quickly followed by the other three gamettes), and also D&D and AD&D. Then other wargames (WS&IM, Cry Havoc, Gulk Strike, etc.) and Call of Cthulhu up to 1992 when I only played ASL for a few years until I stopped all wargaming around 1998.
I came back to the wargaming hobby in 2011 with all kinds of games (period, scale, systems), and to ASL in 2017.
I used to come here to check some perrysez and some news about ASL, but not contributing, up to now.

This is a great forum :)
Welcome back

tripvm

Reaction score
First name
Trip
Country
llUnited States
Greetings from the Colorado Front Range (near Denver)!

I played the original squad leader games back in the early 1980s when I was in middle and high school. I never made the leap into ASL that is until recently. I have started acquiring the ASLRB and core modules. Now I am now finally diving into the starter kits to get my feet wet. In doing so, I am finding that I actually remember some basics from the original SL. Although defensive fire changed a bit ;-). I am looking forward to getting into ASL and participating in this forum. Also, I would love to find a group of ASL players in the Denver area.

Trip