ASL in Miniature - 20mm Game

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
How do you handle various levels and LOS? Using geo-boards in parallel?

von Marwitz
LOS is handled more like a miniature game. The 20mm buildings do not lend themselves to true ASL LOS type checks. I act as the umpire and when in doubt make the call.

Levels can be handled with the actual building models and/or counters. Again the model building heights are used for LOS, not just Level 0, 1, 2, etc.

For the purist you have to be willing to give a little but otherwise it gives a nice effect and is fun to handle a larger group of players.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I look at that with less than a players' eye and more with a modellers' eye. Very, very nicely done base units (especially the rail track) and buildings.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, that is definitely nice. I bet you have a mini fortune invested.

Very, very well done ?. I would get a kick out of playing a scenario on one of those set ups.

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
Oh, that is definitely nice. I bet you have a mini fortune invested.

Very, very well done ?. I would get a kick out of playing a scenario on one of those set ups.
I appreciate that you say "invested"! Very generous and this is how I explain it to my wife also! I am fortunate to have minis for ETO, East Front, and PTO along with associated terrain, vehicles, etc.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 10701
20mm ASL game in Stalingrad loosely based on Guards Counterattack. I ran this for 3 non-ASL playing friends of mine who have mostly played DND, euro games etc. They had a blast and want to play more!
I would be interested in seeing closeups of the figures in the cases behind the game table... very attractive city diorama!

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where are the manhole covers and the damn Commies in the sewer! What are the 'things' in the lower right sort of look like dominos? Even the table cloth looks like cobble streets... All very nice...

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
Where are the manhole covers and the damn Commies in the sewer! What are the 'things' in the lower right sort of look like dominos? Even the table cloth looks like cobble streets... All very nice...
Thank you! The domino-like things are admin counters. Basically photocopies of system counters glued to wood and flocked/terrained around. I’ll post a photo and some closeup figure shots.