So what Starter Kit Scenario have you played recently?

Conall

Reaction score
Country
ll
Two comments here: #1. Are there panzerfausts in ASLSK? If there are PF, this would be an advantage to the German though it seems as if the Brits kept their distance (3+ hexes) from the German infantry.
#2. Yup, intensive fire is fickle and best left for absolutely necessary circumstances. Murphy's Laws of Combat most usually apply: Thing will go wrong in combat and it will most likely go wrong at the most critical time.
#1 Yep, as Perry said, the Germans had PF with a range of two hexes (June 1944 as per ASLSK RB 4.4.2 p.20 3rd para). A respectful distance was, therefore, kept throughout. As it happens the Canadian Shermans were mainly operating in a supporting role, providing WP, Smoke & fire support to the infantry, so keeping their distance fitted that role well. The Firefly took a calculated risk to the east of Rots in an attempt to get a shot on the Panther and to force it to relocate through the LOS of the PIATs. I also wanted to start complicating the Germans' potential rout options (especially in the mission critical R1 multi-hex building).

#2 While I was definitely distinctly injudicious with the use of IF in turn 2, I still used it again in turn 3 and you can see where a PIV used IF to dispatch one of the rapidly disappearing T-34s in tAA6. So again, I’d agree with Perry in saying that at the right time it’s a very useful tool. I think you just have to weigh up the necessity of taking the shot (in turn 3 if I hadn’t, I would have lost the game) against the negative consequences of potentially malfunctioning the main armament. I was very lucky with the Tiger which repaired its main armament and – with the benefit of hindsight – I shouldn’t have employed IF with it in turn 2. And I wholly agree with your suggestion of always bearing in mind Murphy’s laws of combat (for example: “whenever you have plenty of ammo, you never miss. Whenever you are low on ammo, you can’t hit the broad side of a barn.”)

ASLAddict

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
S 049 Cooks, Clerks and Bazookas

I play the Germans and it does not run at the moment so badly for me. My opponent gave me in addition, good clues .-)

But there is still a long way to go before I win.

Nice weekend for all of you.

Jplott94

Reaction score
First name
Jon
Country
llUnited States
Currently working through S21, Clash at Borisovka, using the Eddy DelRio tEOP as a guide. Trying to make sense of vehicle motion, stopped, non-stopped is a bit of a challenge! Will eventually get it figured out, but if the global ummah has any guides/advice/words of wisdom they would like to share, I'm all ears!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Currently working through S21, Clash at Borisovka, using the Eddy DelRio tEOP as a guide. Trying to make sense of vehicle motion, stopped, non-stopped is a bit of a challenge! Will eventually get it figured out, but if the global ummah has any guides/advice/words of wisdom they would like to share, I'm all ears!
The terms "moving", "moving target", "motion", "stopped", "non-stopped" and probably several other similar terms all have various technical meanings and impact. Over the years I have written several summaries on various aspects in ASL here on gamesquad, but I can't find them right now. Try searching google, duck duck go or other search engine with: moving motion non-stopped site:gamesquad.com. The rules in ASLSK should be pretty much the same as ASL, so you should be able to follow and use the discussions even when they are not ASLSK-specific.

JR

Jplott94

Reaction score
First name
Jon
Country
llUnited States
The terms "moving", "moving target", "motion", "stopped", "non-stopped" and probably several other similar terms all have various technical meanings and impact. Over the years I have written several summaries on various aspects in ASL here on gamesquad, but I can't find them right now. Try searching google, duck duck go or other search engine with: moving motion non-stopped site:gamesquad.com. The rules in ASLSK should be pretty much the same as ASL, so you should be able to follow and use the discussions even when they are not ASLSK-specific.

JR
jrv- many thanks for the info!

Warbear

Reaction score
First name
Ernst
Country
llGermany
I'm using the " ASL Vehicular Movement Status" by Ole Boe:

I don't know if it's perfect, but it helps a lot ...

Attachments

lt_steiner

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played S72 - Stretched thin at Altavilla (Sicily 1943) with some complicated VC. The Germans from the Panzergrenadier-division 29 (15 MMC, 1st line units with a few LMGs) have 4 different options to win against the Americans of the 36th Infantry Division (12 MMC, 1st line with MMGs, Bazooka and Mortar).
  1. They may clean the hills of map v from any GO American MMC by the end of turn 3, or,
  2. They may clean the buildings of map w from any GO American MMC by the end of turn 3, or,
  3. Both of these two conditions by the end of turn 3, or
  4. At game end (turn 5 1/2), by amassing more VP than the Americans. 1 VP per building controlled and the Americans also get 1 VP per GO HS in a hill hex.
The fourth option is practically difficult to achieve for the Germans as they must gain control of buildings initially controlled by the Americans (35 building hexes) and prevent them to have some GO units in the hills on the South. So, the only option is to try to get rid of GO American MMCs in either the hills or the buildings by the end of turn 3. The American player must divide his force between the hills on board v and the buildings on bard w. The German player must try to attack in force either the hills or the buildings. I choose to attack the hills with the Germans but the firepower of the Americans was too powerful. Most of my units broke and rout.
Not an easy task for the Germans.

Takeyabue

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Definitely agree that the German needs a flexible plan of assault in S72 - Stretched Thin at Altavilla which covers a portion of the Salerno landings on Italy. Due to the American setup, I elected to push hard to clear the hills of map v like you and make the first victory condition. The mortar was a big factor in this playing and I was punished. I also left myself poorly setup for the next 3 turns. I am quite sure when a chance for a replay comes up with a similar American setup, I will take the same course with a couple of changes. You have to take the openings the American gives you for the first three turns and hope if you cannot get the job done in those 3 turns that you can make him pay in 6. Thanks for sharing your experience.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played S72 - Stretched thin at Altavilla (Sicily 1943) with some complicated VC. The Germans from the Panzergrenadier-division 29 (15 MMC, 1st line units with a few LMGs) have 4 different options to win against the Americans of the 36th Infantry Division (12 MMC, 1st line with MMGs, Bazooka and Mortar).
  1. They may clean the hills of map v from any GO American MMC by the end of turn 3, or,
  2. They may clean the buildings of map w from any GO American MMC by the end of turn 3, or,
  3. Both of these two conditions by the end of turn 3, or
  4. At game end (turn 5 1/2), by amassing more VP than the Americans. 1 VP per building controlled and the Americans also get 1 VP per GO HS in a hill hex.
The fourth option is practically difficult to achieve for the Germans as they must gain control of buildings initially controlled by the Americans (35 building hexes) and prevent them to have some GO units in the hills on the South. So, the only option is to try to get rid of GO American MMCs in either the hills or the buildings by the end of turn 3. The American player must divide his force between the hills on board v and the buildings on bard w. The German player must try to attack in force either the hills or the buildings. I choose to attack the hills with the Germans but the firepower of the Americans was too powerful. Most of my units broke and rout.
Not an easy task for the Germans.

Need to give this a go!!

Thanks
Joe

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Finished S66 Bailey's Bridge this morning. The 1st Raider Battalion has to get 6VP(including 1 leader) west of the SSR river via the SSR footbridge. Saw my chance to do an end run and set off through the jungle. Got lucky and thought things were looking good14301.

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
2 CCs left me down two squads but that didn't matter, or so I thought. The Japanese had other plans. A striped squad and a half squad scampered forward. I cleverly held my fire thinking that with my leadership and concealment I could Ambush the Attackers. 14302

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Wrong-o. Even though I had minus 4 to the die roll I managed a 5 to the Japanese 1. Since they were on the Attack the CC was going to be HtH. And, of course, everyone was eliminated. At that point there were not enough remaining Raiders to fulfill the VC.14303

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Started S67 Beseiged on Saturday and will continue later today but it feels like I'm already done for. I'll play the Japanese much better the next time. Plus, I'll remember to review 8.2 PTO Terrain: No roads exist...

One, of my many, fails so far commanding the 114th Infantry Regiment was in the previous CC phase. My opponent rolled high enough so that I had a chance to switch it to HtH and eliminate 1/4 of his force with one DR. Instead I ended up giving him an LMG to play with.

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
By the end of Allied Turn Four only a Concealed, Striped, 2nd Line squad remained. Would I play this again? Sure, I couldn't do any worse.

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Currently playing S68 The End Of Their Rope and so far have no complaints about the dicebot though my opponent might have some. The Marauders swept forward on Turn One aided by effective mortar and MMG fire. The Japanese got some of their own back advancing, ambushing and eliminating a squad.

The following turn saw that plucky squad and half squad vaporized by the machine gun. The American drive forward was hampered by malfing the mortar and the Japanese chose the better part of valor.

On Turn 3 thanks to SR 3 Colonel McGee took a nap while the Marauders have gone about as fer as they c'n go. Now that the Japanese reinforcements have arrived the real battle is set to start. Hopefully the Colonel will wake up and pitch in.

Jplott94

Reaction score
First name
Jon
Country
llUnited States
S15 Hammer to the Teeth AAR Date of Scenario: 16 Dec 1944
Attacker (German) Craig Renier
Defender (American) Jon Plott
Date of Playing: 24 Aug 2020

What started off as a runaway for the Germans became a slugfest that went down to the last turn of the game! Fellow DC Conscript recruit Craig R was my opponent this evening, and we wanted an SK#2 scenario that featured Ordnance so we could learn a bit more about the mechanics of the TH/TK process and incorporate those capabilities into our respective battle plans. The German OB had an 81mm mortar (with useful HE and Smoke factors) to support his attack; the Yanks had 2x57mm AT guns that were not well suited for fending off an infantry assault.

Craig’s force was the attacking Germans in a scenario from the first days of the Battle of the Bulge. My units were drawn from the infamous 106th Infantry Division (they did not do to well in that particular campaign) trying to stem the German advance. Suffice it to say the game pretty much followed the historical precedent.

Craig got the first move, crowded his right flank with a huge kill stack (3 squads, 3 MGs and a 9-1 leader; 24 FP!!) and after 2 turns, shattered my defenses in front of it. As the Amis had 2 HIP guns, he advanced his infantry deliberately, without taking any undue risks. With my left flank pretty much gone, and my center positions starting to wilt from the constant fire of the kill stack, I was actually wondering if I would be conceding the game before my Yank reinforcements arrived in the bottom of Turn 3. But the reinforcements DID arrive pretty much exactly when and where they were needed and wound up shoring up my left until the last German PFPh in Turn 7.

The Artillery, which was pretty much the reason Craig and I chose this scenario, was a bit of a bust. Craig got three shots off with his single German mortar before it malfunctioned in Turn 2, and it finally Broke hard (X6 off the board hard) late in the game. The Yank AT guns did not affect the German assault through fire attacks as much as their hidden presence did, but the crews acquitted themselves quite well in CC and self-rallies until the final turn and a half. The Bazooka/PanzerSchreck fires were only marginally effective in this scenario.

Craig maintained a steady pressure against the the left, right and center American positions with his well conducted German infantry assaults, and while my Americans did not collapse in dramatic fashion (they came close a couple of times), they certainly crumbled once Craig amassed his force for the last drive on the remaining VC positions. Casualties, as in squads off the board was 3 to 1 in the Germans favor for the game, and, of the five S/MMC counters the Americans had left in game, 4 were broken. Victory to Craig and his Germans! Great game, great Scenario, and not a whole lot of sleep last night!14422