So what scenarios have you played Recently?

buser333

Reaction score
Was The Cemetery the Rout Report version of this fight?
I always liked that.
Yes, it certainly looks that way. Had this all setup to start when I was helping teach an opponent night rules, but he decided to play a different scenario. I was a bit disappointed we didn't get to play this.

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, it certainly looks that way. Had this all setup to start when I was helping teach an opponent night rules, but he decided to play a different scenario. I was a bit disappointed we didn't get to play this.
First Night scenario I ever played. Jeff Thompson schooled me something fierce as he took out one squad after another and I never saw the enemy coming. Best part was that we played by candlelight as the power went out right as we were starting. Great ambiance for getting my butt kicked!

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played the last of a trilogy of scenarios OA21 Gunter Strikes Back. In the first two, the Germans defended an airstrip. This time they are on the attack trying to take it back with a mixed force of infantry and armor vs a small group of British troops and a Sherman. With 4.5 turns to get to a building at the center of the playing area, I pushed my Germans pretty hard the first two turns. My friend's rolls were very good throughout the game but his forces were pretty spread out. Mine skewed slightly above average, so much so that on turn three I I felt had to make a desperate dash with my armor because I wasn't making much of a dent in his defenses and his outlying men were closing in. The one really bad roll my friend suffered was a 12 with his Sherman vs a halftrack on turn 2. Using that opening, I rushed up my armor and suffered several stuns but was able to UK the Sherman and freeze some squads in the victory building. I took one half of the building with a CC ambush on turn 3 and broke the adjacent squad in the other half of the building the following DFPh. After securing both hexes of the building, I knew it was over. There was no way the Brits were going to take back both hexes in their half of the turn. They made a valiant effort, but they came up just short. Pretty bloody scenario. I lost three of my four vehicles with the last one stunned and only had half of my infantry left. The Brits lost the Sherman to the UK and more than half of their infantry as well. Not a victory "by the books". I mean, using open top vehicles to freeze units isn't a very good strategy, but I lucked out by holding his line for one critical half turn before they were decimated. Somehow it worked. All three scenarios were very fun; very fast and intense. Nice job designing these three scenarios, Andrew Rogers!

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Taking Some Flak ASL J192 Finland, '44. Finns attack retreating SS troops, and try to cut the road, inflict CVP, or exit to cause more mayhem. I came on from the southeast, and had the T1 reinforcements come from the west. I got lucky early, eliminating the SS 9-1 and MMG. After that, the Finns took and ROF flaying from the Sdkfz 7/1. For several turns, I tried to eliminate that beast It was Immo'ed early on, but blasted away afterwards. Finally, two HS and the MTR crew killed it with direct fire. Elsewhere in the woods, I was lucky in CC, using stealth to my advantage for once. I exited nobody, but won on CVP by one point.
Nice little fight in the woods.

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
At ASLOK:

Played Gavin Take as a 3 player with my fiance who had never played before and a fairly new player. Won as the Americans, but it was a close game.
Played ASL C - Streets of Stalingrad. I have played Guards and Tractor Works before. Had never combined them. Total slug-fest. Called it a draw when I finally had to go home to go back to real life. Fun times, though. Gained some appreciation of what a protracted CG in Stalingrad would feel like to play. Yeah... not ready yet.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Played twice the first scenario in the latest Lone Canuck pack , Race for the Muese. I won as both sides against my long time opponent Dave Blackwood , both times rolling Snakes in CC and generating an 8-1 and an 8-0 both times turned the game for me and Dave is a good player. But he knows me and Snakes/ROF very well!

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a strange scenario AP28 The Hunters Become the Hunted. My friend and I had a bad experience with this one. Our first clue should have been the dearth of recorded playings in ROAR. There are less than 10 for a 12 year-old official product. The VC needed to be a bit more clear. Too long to list here, but the issue was the Germans getting double VP for moving prisoners off the north edge. Due to the requirement that the Italians on board 41 start up in building hexes greater than or equal to six (even the MTR which is very odd), the Germans can pretty much isolate that entire force on turn 1. Playing as the Germans, I hit the Italians on board 41 from the south and west edges effectively flanking that group. My friend valiantly tried pulling them back. Even though at one point I rolled two 12s in a row on shots, any MC roll pretty much met with certain failure. By turn 2 I had captured three full squads (two from disruption) without sustaining a loss. By the top of turn 3 (of 9), another squad was toast, I captured another disrupted conscript and also a leader. Here's where it got weird. I was pretty much right next to the north edge of the board from the start. Nowhere does it say the Germans can't exit the board when they want so I moved all my units towards the north edge of board 41. I lost one half squad trying to run from board 49 to catch up to the other units, but that was it. Had we not quit at that point, on turn 4 virtually all of my men could have exited. With those prisoners in tow, I would have had 18 points plus two more from eliminating one of the squads. All the Germans needed was 10 more CVPs than the Italians. Adding in the 5 points the Italians would get for controlling the castle and the Italians would still come up short. I think the implied intent was A26.221 where only the guards could exit. We talked about that, but figured that even if only a few half squad guards exited and the rest stayed, the firepower from the Germans if they consolidated in that section would be too much for the Italians to overcome. No need to even storm the castle. We ended up calling it a bust and just moved on. Maybe a little SSR or VC tidying up would help. At least I got to use overlay 6 (an almost full half board overlay) for the first time - even though I only moved one unit on to it!

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Melee for Hill 700 DB148 Bougainville, March '44 The Japanese had attacked the night before and gotten a foothold on the hill, now the US must clear the bunkers and trenches. The two sides set up almost on top of each other, complete with trenches that could connect. But the US gets to shoot first.
The battle raged back and forth in the trenches. My Stuart got immo'ed by the 20mm ATR early. I made some progress, then ran into the HIP IJA flamethrower..... US firepower was telling, especially with canister depletion at 10! But, the last bunker, at W7, could not be taken on the last turn. Japanese victory.
Nice, snapshot in time, type scenario.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played T3 Ranger Stronghold as the attacking Germans as is. I played this ancient scenario long before I became ancient! I know of the change they made for Yanks but the win percentage is now actually even higher for the Germans in the new version (although with considerably less playings). A 9-2 vs a 10-3 seemed like more fun anyway. I have to say, I was not fairing well for the first half of the scenario. Open ground and a good defense slowed my advance. Sometimes, though, my friend gets too aggressive on defense and so it was in this scenario. He moved a couple of bazooka teams and the 10-3 leader forward to take out my tanks. Both were UKed but luck was with me and they both recovered in the subsequent RPh. Prep fire broke the men and the 10-3 then the rout was on. I thought I would have had an easier time of it. If the Americans would have just held their ground, I think my friend may have pulled the upset and moved that German win percentage just a hair down. Nice, fast, no frills scenario with no SSRs (except for EC and wind). Good scenario if you're short on time.

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Here’s a quick recap of the scenarios I played and my opponents.

The first game on Saturday was 34 A NEW KIND OF FOE (the 2018 updated version) with Ben Lootens. A large force of Germans attack a large force of Partisans and Russian soldiers in the forest in 1941. I won with the German attacker. This went long, so it was the only game I played that day. (World Cup 1-0)

Next up on Sunday was BFP135 NO SHORTAGE OF DETERMINATION from Poland In Flames. Polish infantry with light armour try to pierce a German defensive line. I won with the Polish attackers against Pete Di Cioccio. (World Cup 2-0)

I left the hotel around 3 PM to attend the Ginnard ASLOK barbecue, which was very enjoyable.

On Monday, my first game was OF1 STALIN’S SHADOW (a Lone Canuck scenario) with Rob Loper in the morning. German armour and infantry try to clear a town square of Russian infantry and armour. I lost as the German attacker. I obtained a personal best: seven successful smoke discharger attempts out of eight. (World Cup 2-1)

Next, Ed Beekman and I played BFP146 SZACKED. Polish infantry try to take buildings from second line Russian infantry. I lost with the attacking Polish. (World Cup 2-2)

Tuesday morning, I played BFP103 KNIFE IN THE FLANK with Tommy Cvetinovitch. Russian infantry and armour try to take buildings from German infantry reinforced by armour during the Kursk battle. My Russian attackers couldn’t do the job. (World Cup 2-3)

My second game of Tuesday was with new arrival Ryan Kent. We played 208 GRIST MILL. North Korean infantry try to take what might be the only stone building on board 18 from the Americans in 1950. I won with the North Korean attackers. (World Cup 3-3)

All of my World Cup scenarios were taken from my binder of "to play" scenarios.

On Wednesday, I played in the DTO mini. In the first round, I played against Will Willow in a game of OB06 FIRST CLASH IN TUNISIA. This 1942 scenario uses two copies of board 25. German 838 units with armour must take buildings from British infantry supported by artillery and light armour. I won with the German attacker. (Overall 4-3)

My second DTO mini game was TAC40 SCOTTISH NIGHTMARE with David Kocot. It is 1941; German armour and infantry need to take two hillock summits from British infantry supported by 2-pounder portee vehicles and a Matilda 2, and reinforced by four additional tanks. Once again I won with the German attacker. (Overall 5-3)

Derek Ritter would be my opponent in the DTO final, but we didn’t play it until Saturday afternoon.

On Thursday, I was in the Old World mini. In round one, I played someone from the old world: Magnus Rimvall of Sweden, who also happens to be my regular Monday morning VASL opponent. We played the 1944 scenario, J193 RAFF'S RULES. American paratroopers need to try to exit or eliminate two artillery pieces. I won by exiting enough American infantry. (Overall 6-3)

My second round in that mini was against Bill Cirillo. We played J103 LENIN'S SONS, which takes place in 1941. German SS infantry must take a Russian village. I lost the commissar early in the game, which put a big dent in my defensive plan. I conceded when it became obvious that the Germans would win. (Overall 6-4)

Friday, I played in the "Biggest Loser No More" tournament. In round one, I played a new scenario, AP143 LATE FOR CHOW, with Earl Schultz. German paratroops must either exit or take four buildings against American infantry in 1944. Earl conceded when it became obvious that I would exit the required number of German VP. (Overall 7-4)

Chris Chapman and I were matched in the second round. The scenario was FrF45 TOTENSONNTAG. Polish infantry must eliminate/capture German units or wood buildings. I lost with the defending Germans. Chris went on to win this mini. (Overall 7-5)

On Saturday around mid-day, Derek Ritter and I started the DTO final. We chose 37 KHAMSIN. I remember playing this scenario when WoA was new. I realized while reviewing desert rules for this match that I and my opponent had misplayed several rules back then. We got the rules right this time. I lost with the defending British. (Overall 7-6)

Thank you Bret Hildebran and Bill Hayward for another great week of ASL.

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
Finished SP9 Gun Copse yesterday, Brits vs Japanese in light jungle. Japanese have an 81mm MTR (ROF 3), a HMG (ROF 3) & a light MTR (ROF 2) defending a banana plantation. Brits get some early smoke, then some potential OBA (94mm), and have to cross about 3 turns of ground w/very little cover. Until the Japanese break one of those units or fail to maintain rate, the Brits have a very rough time closing unless they get some of that OBA, which I never did. In the first turn & a half the 2 MTRS had 18 TH rolls. Never really became a game until the small MTR broke & the big one lost ROF & got overwhelmed.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Belgians and Centurions RPT 168 Korea, Spring '51. Belgian patrol, using the bolt gun armed OUNC forces, supported by Centurions - with few HE rounds, encounter a CPVA patrol. The ChiComs must make it to pointed hexes, then escape. My CPVA opponent ran his men hard on the first few turns, and they picked up many points for getting to the 11aC10,and 11aI10 areas.
The Centurions were not much help; one broke his CMG, then ran out of HE. He became moveable cover that was kept away from the enemy! One CPVA squad went berserk. I was able to get 2 squads and a leader into CC with them, and won.
Even with these VP, and all the pursuit the Belgians could manage the game came down to CPVA exit points. The last unit needed to push the total over the top was an un reduced crew, who passed MC after MC. The last possible shot, and NMC from a CMG..... He rolled a 12! UN victory.

Fast playing, and close.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The T-Patchers (ASL Scenario 180) was fun v. Fanatic TW. Amis have seven turns to get more CVP then the Germans south of the board 41 road. there are fourteen Elite Amis squads, four M4's, MMG's, a HMG, and couple MTR's but there is a lot of difficult ground for them to cover. we diced for sides and I got the Germans. they have nine 1st line squads, couple half squads, HMG, MMG, couple LMG's, 50L, one Stug at start and one turn 3 reinforcement, three Fortified locations, 12 AP mines, roadblock, defending high ground in all stone buildings

I thought it looked tough on the Americans and thought I had a good German setup. the poor Stug was not setup well. seeing the error he got a smoke shot but Ted's M4's blazed rounds right through it, the woods, and the armor to set my hapless Stug to a burning wreak. Ted effectively used superior American firepower to suppress German positions while adroitly maneuvering forward, taking full advantage of my own smoke and burning wreck

the Germans got some good shots and the Americans took about 20 CVP (39 cap). the 50L gun got a Sherman and I traded some AP mines for AT and got another Sherman. the other two Shermans did a great job covering the Amis advance and effectively helped pound German positions. the Stug reinforcement was not helpful: more bad play

when Darth and Co blasted the German far left Fortified building and effectively suppressed all other covering German positions and started pouring troops over the VC road I conceded on turn 6.5

I thought it looked tough on the Amis but Ted made it look easy pounding his was across some difficult terrain for the win

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played 57 The Battle for Rome as the attacking Germans. Another one of those scenarios I played forever ago when HL first came out. Fun - if long - scenario. I massed most of my men towards the east. They made decent progress the first part of the game but started to get bogged down at the board 22/23 border. Lost a tank early to a DI and then one after another fell victim to CC attacks or hidden guns. Forced to try to exit with just infantry, I came up short. What did me in was the inability to stack in the buildings and the fact that all the buildings were rowhouses. That really slowed me down and took away the biggest asset the Germans had; the ability to lay down some serious firepower on the Italians. I created a gap to run my men through but a hidden ART piece and several well placed HIP squads closed it rather quickly. I could have exited a decent group of units, but not enough for the win, so we called it after seven hard fought hours. Fun scenario with a caveat. The scenario has a chance to be a bit dicey because the Italians suffer from ammunition shortage. With pretty much every weapon having an 11 breakdown, I was hoping only a few weapons would go down this way. Happily this came true so tactics ruled the day not the dice. Nice to see the Italians hold their own against elite Germans.

Last edited:

FanaticTW

World Famous in Maine
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The T-Patchers (ASL Scenario 180) was fun v. Fanatic TW. Amis have seven turns to get more CVP then the Germans south of the board 41 road. there are fourteen Elite Amis squads, four M4's, MMG's, a HMG, and couple MTR's but there is a lot of difficult ground for them to cover. we diced for sides and I got the Germans. they have nine 1st line squads, couple half squads, rHMG, MMG, couple LMG's, 50L, one Stug at start and one turn 3 reinforcement, three Fortified locations, 12 AP mines, roadblock, defending high ground in all stone buildings

I thought it looked tough on the Americans and thought I had a good German setup. the poor Stug was not setup well. seeing the error he got a smoke shot but Ted's M4's blazed rounds right through it, the woods, and the armor to set my hapless Stug to a burning wreak. Ted effectively used superior American firepower to suppress German positions while adroitly maneuvering forward, taking full advantage of my own smoke and burning wreck

the Germans got some good shots and the Americans took about 20 CVP (39 cap). the 50L gun got a Sherman and I traded some AP mines for AT and got another Sherman. the other two Shermans did a great job covering the Amis advance and effectively helped pound German positions. the Stug reinforcement was not helpful: more bad play

when Darth and Co blasted the German far left Fortified building and effectively suppressed all other covering German positions and started pouring troops over the VC road I conceded on turn 6.5

I thought it looked tough on the Amis but Ted made it look easy pounding his was across some difficult terrain for the win
This was a real blast to play. Even though it violates a central tenet os ASL THAT HAVE have followed for years.... Never Play the Americans in Italy before 44.... I tries to play it smart( I know, right?) and was pretty lucky.... a real fun time!!

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Big Bugout RPT 169 Korea, Spring '51 ROK units get hit from at least 2 directions at once by a large CPVA force. The ROK need to have their most exposed units south of a hexrow to count for VP, and or to hold a church on 10b. I took the ROK. The ChiCom MG gunners came on board 58 to try to interdict moving ROK, but the main thrust was down the "valley" formed by the board 5a and 58 hills. The other CPVA group camp across board 78, to where they could support the main body. I thought of keeping my ROK on board 5a in place for a turn, but started scooting away on T1 instead. As it was, they got mauled. Once back to 10b, I did not have enough survivors to win that way. BUT, the approach to the 10b church was long and bloody, and there were not enough Chinese left to take the whole building. Narrow ROK win.
Nice, infantry maneuver scenario.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Purple Heart Hill [O18] I thought I better post something as my long absence from posting over the last few months prompted a few inquires as to whether I am still around or not ? I admit, 69 years old is getting up there.

Anyway, played this as the Americans against Dave Stephens and Joe Znidarsic. The various reinforcement groups made it somewhat viable as as a three player game. This "Operations" issue scenario is on the deluxe boards with bocage in play making the all important hill which must be taken a pain for LOS for both sides. I had most of my defenders away from the hill which was perhaps a mistake but it did hold up the Germans for quite a number of turns. My downfall (i.e. loss) was due to the 9-2 leader dying as a result of a sniper attack with also allowed the loss of a couple of half-squads from the broken units the leader was fixing to rally. This game probably boils down to landing the FFE on the hill once the Germans and Americans are in close proximity. Hopefully, the Americans are still in some of their OofB foxholes to survive the last two turns. Remember, friendly FFE reduces the Americans' moral to mostly "fives". Ugh!

There is a moral check for the Americans at the beginning of the German prep fire phase but I am not sure what happens when a dummy gets a HoB result. Also, it seems all the effects of snipers, HoB, leadership and leader loss MC can happen during this check. I checked this with MMP.

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Bruno L'Archeveque and I finished a multi-session playing of BFP120 DEFIANT RESISTANCE, a large scenario from Poland In Flames. I had the Polish defenders. The unusual challenge for the Poles is setting up to be able to counter the German turn three reinforcements; those reinforcements can enter to the left or right (not both) of the Polish defence. The Germans have eight turns to control four specified buildings on board DW6. One of the buildings is a stone multi-hex building with a steeple in the center of the playing area.

The Poles have 12 squads at start, with 3 HMG, as well as six crews and other SW. They also have pillboxes, trenches and dummies (aside from their commander). The Germans attack from offboard with 16 squads that include 3 548 assault engineers with a FT and 2 DC. The turn three German reinforcements add 12 more squads including two 548 assault engineers with another FT and DC. Turn four sees Polish reinforcements of 10 squads including two 458 assault engineers with a FT and DC. Turn five sees more German and Polish reinforcements.

I had trouble deciding where to put the pillboxes; in the town center to control the roads, or in the outer areas to attempt to slow down the German advance early. I chose the latter. It did not work well, IMO. I had to abandon the pillboxes fairly early. I thought I would lose this match when my right flank defence partially fell apart and I was not able to rout the troops back. At the end, however, Bruno's Germans had three of the buildings and was contesting the fourth, so a Polish victory.

The attached image shows the situation at the end of turn one.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy-

My buddy Bob rolled on by this evening (he has been taking of family stuff) and we decided on playing BT 3 Withdrawal from Merdorp from CH Bitter Tag Module. This is essentially Gembloux the Faint redo with new "historical" panal maps. Of course there is the usual CH edit screw ups. The graphic shows board GB5 but in the set up instructions it says Board GB6. We went with GB5 since in the SSR it states the stream is dry and board GB6 has no streams. whew!

As for the scenario itself, the Germans have alot of armor but the French have 5 H type AFV's and OBA of 100mm with assorted infantry support. The Germans need to high tail it on to GB1 to capture buildings within 7 1/2 turns. So the Germans are entering on GB5, trying to overcome a dry stream, then a gully and woods while getting pounded by OBA and the H39's. In our game I ended up losing 3 AFV's to both the OBA (20-1 weak armor) and too his H type tanks. The Germans just do not have enough time to reach the needed buildings due to being slowed by the terrain and French OBA and what not.

Is the scenario balanced? Nope, but we both had fun playing on the nice maps the scenario is set on. My buddy likes CH stuff, so I do not mind playing it for the most part. here are some pics included.1065410655