What is this symbol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korbb

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
My guess : 40'Frenchs are at one o'clock and two o'clock, Vichy at three o'clock and Free Frenchs at four o'clock (with some SMC at five).

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about those eight black (with blue center) counters towards the left? Center looks like it might be a hex cluster. OBA of some sort?

Seth

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
That’s a lot of counters for a country that fought for six weeks.
While it fought, there were no American counters to be seen: the latter waited for another 18 months before deciding - and technically because Hitler decided to declare war upon them - to oppose Germany.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
That’s a lot of counters for a country that fought for six weeks.
They fought until 1945. There were six armies on the Allied front after D-Day - French 1st Army was one of them. If you mean FRENCH in the ASL sense of the word - the blue counters - as noted earlier in the thread, they also fought in North Africa. An Army at Dawn talks about some of the operations in detail.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While it fought, there were no American counters to be seen: the latter waited for another 18 months before deciding - and technically because Hitler decided to declare war upon them - to oppose Germany.
Last time I checked there were no Swiss counters to be seen either, nor 18 months later...though negotiable instruments were accepted in certain of your banks.

American SMC were HIP...EX: https://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/world-war-two/world-war-two-in-western-europe/battle-of-britain/american-pilots-and-the-battle-of-britain/

Other American counters were in altered colors EX...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lend-Lease....

Don't throw stones...you have no effective moral high ground even though you might well sit at 6,000 meters.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They fought until 1945. There were six armies on the Allied front after D-Day - French 1st Army was one of them. If you mean FRENCH in the ASL sense of the word - the blue counters - as noted earlier in the thread, they also fought in North Africa. An Army at Dawn talks about some of the operations in detail.
Excellent book series.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
  1. I didn’t say it was a side show
  2. Russians lost that in a day
And suffered 85,310 KIA, 12,000 MIA and 120,000 WIA. Of the 1,540,000 prisoners, 24,600 died in captivity. Not a trivial side show.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
GI Joe still showed up and kicked Germans back to Germany. Again.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Last time I checked there were no Swiss counters to be seen either, nor 18 months later...though negotiable instruments were accepted in certain of your banks.

American SMC were HIP...EX: https://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/world-war-two/world-war-two-in-western-europe/battle-of-britain/american-pilots-and-the-battle-of-britain/

Other American counters were in altered colors EX...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lend-Lease....

Don't throw stones...you have no effective moral high ground even though you might well sit at 6,000 meters.
I am not proud of Switzerland indeed.
But when I see an American throwing stones at the French, I don't find it correct either.

Status
Not open for further replies.