HASL - geoboards

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe this has been discussed, but not as much as it could. HASL theme / standard size geoboards. A 'hybrid' board. Here's the idea:

The idea in is to prepare HASL/geoboards which have as their main terrain theme the location of a historical battle; a village, part of a city, or hill, etc, designed to be used in conjunction with the other non-historical geoboards. Because the majority of the historical battle (maybe 80% or so) was fought over specific terrain, the balance of the geoboard area would be used to replicate the ‘lay-up’ areas. Call it the 80-20 rule.

In fact, the recent AP14 board 12a - was based on a historical village in Normandy (St. Lambert Sur Dive). The road network was re-jiggered to allow it to mate with other geoboards.

There are other candidates for this treatment.

Normandy: St.Mere Eglise, Carantan, or Focarville, Hill 30, or Hill 112 are possibilities.

East front: the villages of Teploye, Cherkasskoye, State Farm 1, Hill 253.5 to name a few around Kursk.

There might be a need to abbreviate slightly the actual size of the historical area depicted in order to fit it properly on a geoboard, but the sacrifice would be worth the benefit of having some terrain that would represent the point of the action comparatively well.

Design/Development

Other possibilities are pretty wide open. I can think of several smaller battles that were confined to a location that would be pretty easy to represent ASL-wise. (other theaters: PTO, Korea, and certain smaller sub-battles at Market Garden, Falaise, Bulge, Remagen, Ruhr Pocket, Aachen, San Pietro) And we have now many current geoboards that would match up well in order to depict the historical battle in a much more historical way. These new boards could be grouped into a pack (ie. AP), or used solo in a Journal.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Wasn't the pair of 64 and 65 (what BFP would call a Double Width pair) also based on a real village/small town?

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The new board 12a/b is effective Lambert-sur-Dives in this regard. Pete Shelling acknowledge this in another thread...

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Maybe this has been discussed, but not as much as it could. HASL theme / standard size geoboards. A 'hybrid' board. Here's the idea:

The idea in is to prepare HASL/geoboards which have as their main terrain theme the location of a historical battle; a village, part of a city, or hill, etc, designed to be used in conjunction with the other non-historical geoboards. Because the majority of the historical battle (maybe 80% or so) was fought over specific terrain, the balance of the geoboard area would be used to replicate the ‘lay-up’ areas. Call it the 80-20 rule.
That can work for small size HASL, but beyond a certain size, it becomes too fragmented, like CH's infamous map panels.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sure - mini HASLs. For instance, 3-5 HASL scenarios in an AP release.

The HASL/geoboard can be reused generically for other non-HASL based scenarios. Versatility.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No.

If it is called a HASL, the map cannot be like an 12a/b. That is in my world "false." I say this as a historian. I want the real best effort for a HASL map.

One could call it "Historical Study of XXX Battle", using geo-pseudo board ZZZ., that would be perfectly acceptable.

However, do not, create this sub-category and label it anything like "HASL," ones does great harm in this regard. Do not muddy the waters in this way. Keep each its own.

If you mean actual "mini" HASL maps (in the vein of Singling or Primosole Bridge) and place 1-2 such maps in an AP...yes by all means carry on. But 12a/b claimed as HASL...NO, go around again Red Rider...12a/b claimed as "Historical Study" cleared to land, winds from the SW at 3 knots.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No.
If it is called a HASL, the map cannot be like an 12a/b. That is in my world "false." I say this as a historian. I want the real best effort for a HASL map.
One could call it "Historical Study of XXX Battle", using geo-pseudo board ZZZ., that would be perfectly acceptable.
However, do not, create this sub-category and label it anything like "HASL," ones does great harm in this regard. Do not muddy the waters in this way. Keep each its own.
Ah, the purist ;) But reconsider...

If we like playing on non-historical geoboards and consider them 'historical enough' for fun (no bitching there have I heard), and if we like playing on HASL boards because they're very historically fun, then playing on something in-between is just fine with a lot of guys, so I would imagine.

Putting together a HASL for certain battles seems a must, I agree. But for many smaller battles, something a bit smaller in size and production effort seems like a good idea. It expands our selection and appeals to a wider set of interests.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah, the purist ;) But reconsider...

If we like playing on non-historical geoboards and consider them 'historical enough' for fun (no bitching there have I heard), and if we like playing on HASL boards because they're very historically fun, then playing on something in-between is just fine with a lot of guys, so I would imagine.

Putting together a HASL for certain battles seems a must, I agree. But for many smaller battles, something a bit smaller in size and production effort seems like a good idea. It expands our selection and appeals to a wider set of interests.
No, your are mixing apples and oranges...geo and scenario is "enough" is nothing more than a TDG (tactical decision game...google same if need be) with a historical blurb. And believe me I am fine with that and like that in ASL and other forms.

Calling something a HASL advances the nature of the "game" in a variety of ways that the nature of the exercise is very different on lots of levels.

You can put something together for smaller battles on a geo that is like 12a/b..just please do not* call it a HASL.

There is nothing wrong with holding and maintaining the "purist" line. You have a whole crap load of air space over yonder...have at it. Otherwise stay out of the HASL flight pattern.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, your are mixing apples and oranges...geo and scenario is "enough" is nothing more than a TDG (tactical decision game...google same if need be) with a historical blurb. And believe me I am fine with that and like that in ASL and other forms.
Calling something a HASL advances the nature of the "game" in a variety of ways that the nature of the exercise is very different on lots of levels.
You can put something together for smaller battles on a geo that is like 12a/b..just please do not* call it a HASL.
Otherwise stay out of the HASL flight pattern.
Gosh, I didn't realize how formal things are in ASL-land.

First, it doesn't matter to me or probably most guys what you call some new ASL product. So, don't call it HASL. The idea wasn't to prepare a HASL here at all anyway. Call it a 'historically-more-accurate-geoboard-with-associated scenarios' release.

Whatever works to advance our favorite hobby, little by little, seems nice. You can opt to not buy it, but I suspect you would anyway :)

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Gosh, I didn't realize how formal things are in ASL-land.

First, it doesn't matter to me or probably most guys what you call some new ASL product. So, don't call it HASL. The idea wasn't to prepare a HASL here at all anyway. Call it a 'historically-more-accurate-geoboard-with-associated scenarios' release.

Whatever works to advance our favorite hobby, little by little, seems nice. You can opt to not buy it, but I suspect you would anyway :)
Or worse - you might get people who thought they are buying a HASL and getting a "historically-more-accurate-geoboard-with-associated scenarios" (read: false advertising)

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was that an MMP product? Can't recall it. Did they have historical terrain?
No, it was an ASL News product, and later a Critical Hit product after they bought out ASL News.

See these links: