Bounding Fire Blackpool - November 2019...

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Guys, last call for Bounding Fire Blackpool next months. I'm really concerned about the numbers for this. At the moment there are only 15 of us (including the two organisers, myself and Simon) who have booked accommodation at the hotel. And whilst I have the utmost of respect for those who can't or don't wish to attend, I have to say that based on these numbers the tournament is going to die.

Anyhow... here's the final message and hope to see you all next month...

Firstly if there are people who have not yet notified Pete of their attendance can you please do so via the VFTT website (http://www.vftt.co.uk/login.asp).

The prize photos and scratch tournament details are now up on the website (https://boundingfireblackpool.co.uk/bounding-fire-2019)

Regarding the minis, we’ve only had a few entries so far for the Thursday so to help us get the groups organised if you are intending to participate can you please drop us a line at bfpminis@outlook.com along with any preference(s) to play - full details of the Minis available is on the tourney website boundingfireblackpool.co.uk. As the Minis are blind this year, full details of what kit is required will be posted in a couple of weeks.

And, don't forget to book your room directly with the hotel if you haven't already by calling them on 01253 341179

See you next month.

Regards

Martin/Simon

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Gents,

the problem is Blackpool is hard to reach for some of us. It's really a Northern England Tourney and the original Tourney in Bournemouth was a Southern England tournament. However, the venue was lousy, with terrible lighting and no secure area.

Yes I know that one died out too, which is why you decided to take up the banner and move it north.

It seems tournaments in England are dying on the vine?? Brexit could be one problem, who knows? I don't know if Internationals are coming or not to your tourney.

But it's not only this tournament dying out, the Double One has been cancelled for mysterious reasons.

Now the one tournament easily reachable from the South is gone for next year, and who knows how long after that? The cards are being held too close to the chest on this one. Frankly I don't think this should be cancelled, but ownership/running of it transferred to someone else.

The Double One was pretty well attended last time I went in 2018. Sorry I had to miss this last one in 2019 so I can't speak to that. But I was going to this next one until I found out it had been summarily cancelled for 2020.

I don't know the reasons for cancelling this nor would I necessarily agree with them, but that's a much better venue for a tournament (Writtle College). A lot easier to reach from the south by car, so I can bring my stuff. It's a lot cheaper to get to and cheap to stay in. At least from the Channel area.

Why not cancel this tourney in Blackpool and move it to cancelled The Double One slot over at Writtle College in the summer of 2020 while you have a chance? I have to say I won't go to Blackpool, but I will go to Writtle College.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Gents,

the problem is Blackpool is hard to reach for some of us. It's really a Northern England Tourney and the original Tourney in Bournemouth was a Southern England tournament. However, the venue was lousy, with terrible lighting and no secure area.

Yes I know that one died out too, which is why you decided to take up the banner and move it north.

It seems tournaments in England are dying on the vine?? Brexit could be one problem, who knows? I don't know if Internationals are coming or not to your tourney.

But it's not only this tournament dying out, the Double One has been cancelled for mysterious reasons.

Now the one tournament easily reachable from the South is gone for next year, and who knows how long after that? The cards are being held too close to the chest on this one. Frankly I don't think this should be cancelled, but ownership/running of it transferred to someone else.

The Double One was pretty well attended last time I went in 2018. Sorry I had to miss this last one in 2019 so I can't speak to that. But I was going to this next one until I found out it had been summarily cancelled for 2020.

I don't know the reasons for cancelling this nor would I necessarily agree with them, but that's a much better venue for a tournament (Writtle College). A lot easier to reach from the south by car, so I can bring my stuff. It's a lot cheaper to get to and cheap to stay in. At least from the Channel area.

Why not cancel this tourney in Blackpool and move it to cancelled The Double One slot over at Writtle College in the summer of 2020 while you have a chance? I have to say I won't go to Blackpool, but I will go to Writtle College.
Respectfully...

Double One hasn't been cancelled. It was briefly but is now running as normal (albeit under new 'ownership').

The only problem with what you say insofar as a Southern tournament is concerned is as you intimated. People stopped attending. I'm not labelling you in this group at all, but I had to laugh when I had multiple messages from people stating that they wouldn't attend Blackpool but may attend a Bournemouth tournament from people who hadn't attended the Bournemouth tournament in 10+ years.

Moving it to Blackpool was the only choice we had to try to get people to attend as a) Most of the south had turned their backs on it (last two tournaments there 3/4 of the attendees were from Midlands and up North) and b) it's a very fine venue. Don't underestimate the importance of the latter...finding an appropriate venue for an ASL tournament I found to be like finding rocking horse shit. We wanted to move it to Birmingham way but couldn't find anywhere that ticked all the boxes.

Honestly have no issue with you not wishing to attend Blackpool. All I would say is that it's not that far away (unless your only option of transport is bicycle). It's a pretty small country.

Enjoy Double One next year...

M

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
As for Double One, I had not heard that it has been re-activated with new management! That's great news respectfully delivered, but I have no official word on that subject and who the new owner is, I guess I need to cast around for that info, as I've not seen anything on the LASL forum about it nor Gamesquad.

So where you heard this and where I could find confirmation of this would be most enlightening, since it's not been made public in the usual spots, as far as I can tell.

With regards to Blackpool, It's a 5 hour train trip or 6 hour drive in good conditions to Blackpool vs less than 2 hours drive for Double1 since it's a straight shot mostly up fast motorways...

Yes, it's a small country but often hard to get around in (prime example, Ashford is only 48 miles away from Eastbourne but 1.5 hours to drive on a lot of B class roads that children of the corn could spring out for an assault at any moment while stuck driving 5 MPH on a one-way road) -- but I'm spoiled by American road networks admittedly. If I take the train, it's not easy to take my stuff because I'll have to tube it from Victoria station. I guess I like to take my stuff, don't like using others' stuff, my own quirk there.

I agree that there are few Southrons in England who play ASL! That is the issue indeed and I should have mentioned it. They all play tabletob miniatures down here like I've never seen.

I can quite imagine that the good venue is hard to come by and glad you found one for Blackpool that is suitable. Well done and I hope to make it some day but can't this year.

cheers Marc

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
As for Double One, I had not heard that it has been re-activated with new management! That's great news respectfully delivered, but I have no official word on that subject and who the new owner is, I guess I need to cast around for that info, as I've not seen anything on the LASL forum about it nor Gamesquad.

So where you heard this and where I could find confirmation of this would be most enlightening, since it's not been made public in the usual spots, as far as I can tell.

With regards to Blackpool, It's a 5 hour train trip or 6 hour drive in good conditions to Blackpool vs less than 2 hours drive for Double1 since it's a straight shot mostly up fast motorways...

Yes, it's a small country but often hard to get around in (prime example, Ashford is only 48 miles away from Eastbourne but 1.5 hours to drive on a lot of B class roads that children of the corn could spring out for an assault at any moment while stuck driving 5 MPH on a one-way road) -- but I'm spoiled by American road networks admittedly. If I take the train, it's not easy to take my stuff because I'll have to tube it from Victoria station. I guess I like to take my stuff, don't like using others' stuff, my own quirk there.

I agree that there are few Southrons in England who play ASL! That is the issue indeed and I should have mentioned it. They all play tabletob miniatures down here like I've never seen.

I can quite imagine that the good venue is hard to come by and glad you found one for Blackpool that is suitable. Well done and I hope to make it some day but can't this year.

cheers Marc
Hi mate.

There will be an official release in the not too distant future regarding Double One. Not been gotten round to yet but will follow in due course.

Simon Staniforth and a couple of guys from the London ASL club will be running it next year.

I believe it will be same venue and same, already set, dates. But that will again be confirmed in due course.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi mate.

There will be an official release in the not too distant future regarding Double One. Not been gotten round to yet but will follow in due course.

Simon Staniforth and a couple of guys from the London ASL club will be running it next year.

I believe it will be same venue and same, already set, dates. But that will again be confirmed in due course.
Cool! and yes I did a quick search moments ago and found your comments elsewhere on the forum here about this; for some reason, the subscription to that thread is not registered by me for notification. How odd.

Thanks for you and Simon and others for saving the day on that one. I'll look forward with renewed expectations:)

Marc

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
"Internationals" have never been actively sought over the past 30 years which means that attendance in UK events has always been almost exclusively national (Martin Mayers has been more proactive in reaching out to the global community).

I have only learnt very recently of the existence of an ASL club in central London (whose current activity is apparently at risk BTW). Pity

In the current context, better to let them stew in their own juices ?

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
"Internationals" have never been actively sought over the past 30 years which means that attendance in UK events has always been almost exclusively national (Martin Mayers has been more proactive in reaching out to the global community).

I have only learnt very recently of the existence of an ASL club in central London (whose current activity is apparently at risk BTW). Pity

Odd you should say that about international attendance here in England-- and I find it inaccurate based on personal experience.

Because in 2016 I came in second in Group B, after losing to an Aussie. Good player but insisted on rolling his wacky dice his wacky way, calling them out and slamming them on the table! He didn't always get the rolls he wanted, but since I managed to nuke my HMG from the first turn of the game, he was just able to pull off a win after consulting with the 'colossus,' as he couldn't have cracked my defenses without outside help from that tournament's Thanos.

Then, the guy, aka 'colossus', who won the main tourney (Group A), was someone from Sweden or Denmark. I never met him because he walked around all the time with an Ipod and earphones, probably listening to recordings of ASL rules dictated by Curt Schilling. This individual was seen colluding with another Nordic in attendance, that is, when he wasn't steamrolling every British player in sight, scattering them like ninepins. So that was two Vikings making an appearance and reconquering Wessex that year.

Tim Hunsdorfer was there, so that's two of us from the USA, although now you can count him from France, I suppose, and I don't consider myself British, even if I live here, and perhaps the locals feel the same way about me counting for my own country, not theirs. In fact, I'm certain of it.

I was also the most unpopular that year overall, even more so than usual, being a pro-Brexit ex-patriot; nearly all the attendees were hangdog that Brexit was voted up during the tournament! Quite a scene of miserable faces. Along with that, Tim 'El Chavez' Hunsdorfer tried to ambush me for supporting Trump, mocking me from afar, contending and shouting that Trump was akin to some relic-y monster from Cthulu in some weird non-ASL game being played across the room. Of course, Trump is not popular among communist 'afiliados' such as he, nor has he been the same since Trump won, after all, later that year! Poor Tim! I had the last and very long laugh about the matter, and will again, in 2020, when Trump wins once more).

Tim's buddy Marty, the solar scientist, was also there (USA), so that's 6 Internationals by my count at that Double-One and I think there were more.

Marty and I briefly discussed the problem of sunspots messing up the global warming models (as they continue to do, by not showing up for global warming duty on the sun's surface, in spite of demands by Al Gore, who, in turn, creates snowstorms on demand when he makes public appearances. That's two points of evidence contra the global climate emergency, so pfft pfft on you, Guardian newspaper).

So three Americanos at that one! Possible though, I am mixing Marty up, him being at another tournament in England. Perhaps Bournemouth, now deceased.

But that's decent Internationalism here in the UK!

Maybe it's the Belgians who should be stewing in their own juices, since they don't cross the channel and don't seem remotely aware what's going on over here; keeping in mind that I am one-half Belgian though, I'd like to stay out of that casserole :)

cheers Marc

tipsyweasel

Dead but still purring
Reaction score
Tim's buddy Marty, the solar scientist, was also there (USA), so that's 6 Internationals by my count at that Double-One and I think there were more.

Marty and I briefly discussed the problem of sunspots messing up the global warming models (as they continue to do, by not showing up for global warming duty on the sun's surface, in spite of demands by Al Gore, who, in turn, creates snowstorms on demand when he makes public appearances. That's two points of evidence contra the global climate emergency, so pfft pfft on you, Guardian newspaper).
Since I have never been to Double-One, you may want to recheck your notes. I did attend the Bournemouth tournament several years ago, but I doubt we discussed climate change.

Maybe once the hobby ages a little bit more, players will be retired and have more time to spend a weekend or longer at an ASL tournament. In Colorado, we have a dozen or so active players. Rather than try to run a large tournament, we are happy to run several one-day tournaments each year. If the multi-day tournaments in England are fading away, you might also consider this model.

I hope to attend ASL events in England in the future, so I hope that they will continue to thrive.

Marty

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
I did attend the Bournemouth tournament several years ago, but I doubt we discussed climate change.

Marty
Marty, I already clarified it was Bournemouth, having mixed it up, since we're note checking, check it out; you neglected to quote that part of my post, leaving out critical data, tsk tsk, you should know better :)

And at Bournemouth, we did discuss the sunspot decline, as I know for a fact, I mentioned 'it's a problem, isn't it?' You didn't respond, because no more needed be said to what is, and remains, a problem, and we both know what for, and we both know what we were discussing, don't we? No doubts on this end.

I don't know they are fading away in England, but I do think the hobby may be. Very few new recruits in these parts. I think ideas to enliven recruitment would be more useful than retirement plans!

tipsyweasel

Dead but still purring
Reaction score
And at Bournemouth, we did discuss the sunspot decline, as I know for a fact, I mentioned 'it's a problem, isn't it?' You didn't respond, because no more needed be said to what is, and remains, a problem, and we both know what for, and we both know what we were discussing, don't we? No doubts on this end.
That's quite an assumption on your part about why I might not have responded. But that has nothing to do with ASL, so we shall leave it at that.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
That's quite an assumption on your part about why I might not have responded. But that has nothing to do with ASL, so we shall leave it at that.
No, it was quite a reasonable conclusion that stands the test of time and no, you have left it at that now, just as you left it at that then. Your prerogative, but there is no 'we.'

I never expected any discussion of my above hyperbole, really; done for laughs. However, Marty, you had to be there to see people relaxing at an ASL tournament, ahem, but then blowing a gasket at me, Trump and Brexit.

I apologize if you felt put on the spot, though, because you certainly had nothing to do with that series of incidents, entirely separate from the calm waters of sleepy Bournemouth.

Now of course, I look like the bad guy for bringing this up in a virginal and pure ASL forum where only the purest of ASL may be discussed, as you've kindly reminded me. I best leave this sacred vestibule and move on to video reviews of various interesting ASL matters, among others. Yes, that will be more palatable for everyone because, to everyone's relief, they can't be posted in this venue :) errrr maybe they can! I'll have to look into it.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It is interesting to note the concept of far away. For you Blackpool is a 6 hour drive. For me it's closer to 8 hours (with stops, driving, longer if I try to use the train) and I still consider it within a reasonable distance.
In fact, a London based tournament might be easier for me to reach, if I could get a lift from the airport. Flying to Blackpool is too expensive.
Bournemouth was one I was never going to bother with.
I have often found thst those of us who live slightly away from the centre are more willing to travel.

SparkyII

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll

In that spirit, my dear Mr. T, might I suggest you come to Double One in 2020? A mere three brexit deadline extensions away. You'd be most welcome, stew notwithstanding. Details will follow in due course - as will details on a revamped - and soon to be re-invigorated London ASL - https://londonasl.siterubix.com/

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
Internationals" have never been actively sought over the past 30 years which means that attendance in UK events has always been almost exclusively national
In that spirit, my dear Mr. T, might I suggest you come to Double One in 2020? A mere three brexit deadline extensions away. You'd be most welcome, stew notwithstanding.
Mr. T has a point. I have attended 5 UK tournaments in the last 3 years (i.e. since I started ASL), and I have never met more than 2 other fellow foreign residents attending (I have also been the sole foreigner, bringing the number of "non-sucker" foreigners to zero :)). This is better than all Swedish TD directors save Andreas Carlsson's Supporting Fire, but it is still "piss poor" :) (Copenhagen has 20+ foreigners, Supporting Fire towards 10, Grenadier around 20 I believe. Even Helsinki had 4 foreigners this year - HELSINKI for G*d's sake).

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
OK, this is getting too current political, cut it out. The shears are coming out along with the digger, you have been warned!

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
As to Double One, i said some time ago to the organisers that i would be willing to partake if the organisers make if a 5-round event. The format of the time was retained, which is of course legit, and it closed the issue at the time.

Also the location in the far suburbs of London has many advantages for locals but it is less accessible than central London for non-UK citizens. Using the car is an option, but i feel less at ease when driving on the other side of the road, and besides i don't have the freedom, unlike American diplomats, to overrun local pedestrians and get away with it.

I would be interested however to meet locals at their Holborn/Chancery Lane regular treffpunkt, if it still exists, as it is conveniently not too far from the Eurostar terminal.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
As to Double One, i said some time ago to the organisers that i would be willing to partake if the organisers make if a 5-round event. The format of the time was retained, which is of course legit, and it closed the issue at the time.

Also the location in the far suburbs of London has many advantages for locals but it is less accessible than central London for non-UK citizens. Using the car is an option, but i feel less at ease when driving on the other side of the road, and besides i don't have the freedom, unlike American diplomats, to overrun local pedestrians and get away with it.

I would be interested however to meet locals at their Holborn/Chancery Lane regular treffpunkt, if it still exists, as it is conveniently not too far from the Eurostar terminal.
Correct. Double One is not "London". It's Chelmsford. Which is a not dissimilar distance as Blackpool from Manchester. That said it's in a stunning location. Great pubs. And the college really look after us all well. Plus, Chelmsford is not too hard to get to.