LoS Tool

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The tweezer "tool thread" here has got me asking something similar... I like the idea of the retractable "badge leash" for checking LoS (as opposed to thread), however the retracting line on mine is quite thick (so, sub-optimal). Can anyone recommend a product that is compact/retractable, but that doesn't have a overly thick thread? Thanks for any pointers.

Dave

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
The tweezer "tool thread" here has got me asking something similar... I like the idea of the retractable "badge leash" for checking LoS (as opposed to thread), however the retracting line on mine is quite thick (so, sub-optimal). Can anyone recommend a product that is compact/retractable, but that doesn't have a overly thick thread? Thanks for any pointers.

Dave
I use one of these. I have a second one which has markings every 10 hexes for playing in the desert. Pull the thread, count the marks, count the hexes from the last mark to the target, get the range. -- jim

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use one of these. I have a second one which has markings every 10 hexes for playing in the desert. Pull the thread, count the marks, count the hexes from the last mark to the target, get the range. -- jim
Glorious, Jim! I've seen either this or something very much like it, but wasn't ever able to track it down myself at Amazon ("Bill Snatcher" is not a product name that would have ever popped into my head). Thank you, sir!

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Glorious, Jim! I've seen either this or something very much like it, but wasn't ever able to track it down myself at Amazon ("Bill Snatcher" is not a product name that would have ever popped into my head). Thank you, sir!
Don't thank me, thank JR Tracy. He introduced me to them as I too, would have never thought of "Bill Snatcher". -- jim

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
I use one of this . The string width is not superior to the hex center dots, so it serves perfectly to LOS determination.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use 1-atom-thick hyperfiber monofilament. If the LOS is blocked, at least you can cut off your opponent's head in one fell swoop.
Damn, beat me to it.

On a related note, I'm surprised that the Divine Text doesn't specify the diameter of the thread used for LOS checks. Sewing thread comes in many diameters and I suppose it could make a difference to whether or not the obstacle can be seen on both sides of the thread.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
... I suppose it could make a difference to whether or not the obstacle can be seen on both sides of the thread.
Which is the issue that I have with the retractable badge holder that I currently use. It's got a "braided cable," so LoS has to be really blocked for the obstacle to appear on both sides of the string.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, the badge holder that I use is a normal "thread", but it is still thicker than the thread that I would use to re-sew a button back onto a shirt with.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Which is the issue that I have with the retractable badge holder that I currently use. It's got a "braided cable," so LoS has to be really blocked for the obstacle to appear on both sides of the string.
I use para-cord,no, not the smaller internal strings, LOS is seldom blocked (though it gets a bit touchy at times).

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So there it is, right there in the ASLRB; anything else is a house rule and is to be avoided like the plague! (Now what constitutes a thread?)
Hence my point. Next update of the rule book should add a sufficiently rigorous definition of "thread" to the index. ;)