Red Factories Homebrew - I survived Stalingrad and all I got was this lousy LP

Jobbo_Fett

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've been working on a slightly homebrewed version of an amalgamated campaign for Red Factories. The campaign starts off normally, and will eventually include Red October, but notably will try to go as long as possible, even though Red Barricades wouldn't normally go that far.

I've been going about it by playing one game turn at a time, all as a solo effort. This is done mainly to save on time, and because committing so much time to this would be hard to organize/coordinate without another person for the length of time I assume this will go.

Lastly, this is all reposted from a different website that I am posting videos to, and have started streaming my endeavors for fun. Also because that's the hip thing all the cool kids do these days. I will try to keep this thread updated as things move along. Apologies for making any errors, I'm far from a very experienced player, and I think we've all been on the side of forgetfulness at times.

October 17th, 1942
Day 1, Part 1

The story so far:

The Germans are unable to gain a lot of ground, but losses are nil (especially due to an error on my part vis-a-vis LOS checks on debris hexes). The Russians, however, aren't so lucky, and quickly lose three squads to murderous fire. The Germans also manage to capture a militia squad, but I forget to roll for interrogation.

Losses
Germans

Russians

Militia Company A (2 squads - 4 CVP)
SMG Company A (1 squad - 2 CVP)

Victory Conditions
Germans control 0 of 15 Stone Locations required to win.

State of the board at the end of Part 1

State of MAP control at the end of Part 1 [Colourized]

What actually happened that day? (According to Stalingrad Battle Atlas, Vol II - by Anton Joly)

Weather: Partly Cloudy, Cold.

Germans capture the southern portion (completing their control) of the Red Barricades factory. 300 to 400 prisoners were captured, as well as equipment. A directive by Hitler instructs the Army to begin preparations for a defensive line in the coming months.

Since September 13 (the beginning of the offensive on Stalingrad), the Germans report that they have captured 18000 prisoners, destroyed or immobilized 233 tanks, and captured or destroyed 302 guns. Another 5600 prisoners, 616 tanks destroyed, and 87 guns destroyed/captured further north of the city. 670 enemy planes were shot down over Stalingrad, with AA artillery and ground troops claiming an additional 88 planes.

German losses so far have been 2500 dead, 10300 wounded, and 300 missing. Numbers for planes and tanks are not present.

German losses for October 16th, 1942 in Stalingrad are reported as: 299 wounded, 61 killed, 21 missing.

---Do keep in mind that these numbers are not complete, as some data was lost in the intervening years, and accurate counts are difficult to ascertain in the best of conditions. The nature of the fighting at Stalingrad also made it hard for the Russians, especially, to keep accurate numbers on losses. That, or they are not yet documented and have not been mentioned in the Atlas for this particular day.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Nice report, thanks!

Looks like the Germans were pretty conservative here and by using a couple of pre-reg smoke OBA (w/1 barrage) they can blanket F5-F12 and the M6 workshop. Then they need to assault those buildings on the edge and get into those jumping off positions.

That's assuming this opening scenario is the same as the original RB -- I haven't bought the new modules myself yet.

But I think the Germans need to get into those buildings along F row, J5 and M5 or try to, before the Russians burn them down. They can grab a corner of the Q6 Manufacturing Hall, too, the first day.

If the Russians buy some artillery they are gonna pummel those guys in the limited area they are stuck in now.

That said I'm not a RB fanatic like some are, so my assessment could be way off base... cheers! Look forward to more.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
It is dearly tempting to combine RB with RO for a massive CG from Oct 17th until Nov 15th. With the RO CG kicking in on the 23rd Oct.

Jobbo_Fett

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Nice report, thanks!

Looks like the Germans were pretty conservative here and by using a couple of pre-reg smoke OBA (w/1 barrage) they can blanket F5-F12 and the M6 workshop. Then they need to assault those buildings on the edge and get into those jumping off positions.

That's assuming this opening scenario is the same as the original RB -- I haven't bought the new modules myself yet.

But I think the Germans need to get into those buildings along F row, J5 and M5 or try to, before the Russians burn them down. They can grab a corner of the Q6 Manufacturing Hall, too, the first day.

If the Russians buy some artillery they are gonna pummel those guys in the limited area they are stuck in now.

That said I'm not a RB fanatic like some are, so my assessment could be way off base... cheers! Look forward to more.

Yeah the opening scenario is the same as the original version.

The Germans will be attempting to make progress towards the Manufacturing Hall, but the videos (that I'm not posting here) will show exactly how that plays out.

It is dearly tempting to combine RB with RO for a massive CG from Oct 17th until Nov 15th. With the RO CG kicking in on the 23rd Oct.
Exactly! The idea will also to have the RB campaign continue until the RO CG ends. I'll have to fudge the numbers a little bit for Historical DRM rolls, but I think I can get it done.

Jobbo_Fett

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
October 17th, 1942
Day 1, Part 2

The story so far:

The Russians get to move this turn, but without anything to recapture, there's no incentive to ever move out of their locations, except maybe to dodge artillery. Their shots don't cause any casualties, and a close combat is cut short when the Militia squad goes down early, with the first Support Weapon (SW) destruction also occurring. Another German tank is under the sights of a 2nd Russian AT gun, but time will tell which of the two will become a casualty first.

Losses
Germans

Russians

Militia Company A (3 squads - 6 CVP) + LMG(x1)

Victory Conditions
Germans control 0 of 15 Stone Locations required to win.

State of the board at the end of Part 2

State of MAP control at the end of Part 2 [Colourized]

What actually happened that day? (According to Stalingrad Battle Atlas, Vol II - by Anton Joly)

Germans capture the southern portion (completing their control) of the Red Barricades factory. 300 to 400 prisoners were captured, as well as equipment. A directive by Hitler instructs the Army to begin preparations for a defensive line in the coming months.

Since September 13 (the beginning of the offensive on Stalingrad), the Germans report that they have captured 18000 prisoners, destroyed or immobilized 233 tanks, and captured or destroyed 302 guns. Another 5600 prisoners, 616 tanks destroyed, and 87 guns destroyed/captured further north of the city. 670 enemy planes were shot down over Stalingrad, with AA artillery and ground troops claiming an additional 88 planes.

German losses so far have been 2500 dead, 10300 wounded, and 300 missing. Numbers for planes and tanks are not present.

German losses for October 16th, 1942 in Stalingrad are reported as: 299 wounded, 61 killed, 21 missing.

---Do keep in mind that these numbers are not complete, as some data was lost in the intervening years, and accurate counts are difficult to ascertain in the best of conditions. The nature of the fighting at Stalingrad also made it hard for the Russians, especially, to keep accurate numbers on losses. That, or they are not yet documented and have not been mentioned in the Atlas for this particular day.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Exactly! The idea will also to have the RB campaign continue until the RO CG ends. I'll have to fudge the numbers a little bit for Historical DRM rolls, but I think I can get it done.
As far as I am aware both CGs end at the same time with the conclusion of Operation Hubertus. Which was on the 15th Nov. The RB CG will have 30 CG dates and the RO CG will have 24 CG dates because it starts later.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Is part 2 still part of the 1st scenario? Did the Russian barrage land on its own troops?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
BTW I think no quarter is in effect, hence no prisoners.

Jobbo_Fett

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
October 17th, 1942
Day 1, Part 3

The story so far:

The Germans manage to cross into the first set of stone buildings, but the Russians are taking a toll on them due to some poor moves and great die rolls. An anti-tank gun falls to infantry in close combat while its distracted trying to kill a 2nd German tank, and snipers start to become more prominent on the field of battle. The German push in the north suffers a major setback.

Losses
Germans [Lost 3 CVP]
Rifle Company A (1 squad - 2 CVP) + 8-0(x1 - 1 CVP)

Russians [Lost 14 CVP]
Militia Company A (4 squads - 8 CVP) + LMG(x1)
Militia Company B (1 squad - 2 CVP)
AT Gun Crew(x1 - 2 CVP)

Victory Conditions
Germans control 3 of 15 Stone Locations required to win.

Special Units
Softnum [Russian Leader] 7-0

State of the board at the end of Part 3

State of MAP control at the end of Part 3 [Colourized]

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Though Rooftops are in play, Bldgs F8, I6 & S4 cannot have anyone on their rooftops (and rooftops cannot be fortified) as they are single hex bldgs (perhaps it's just the coloring of the FtBldg markers that doesn't come thru well). Also, though the offboard observer is indeed at level three, be aware he is actually only 2 levels above most of the ground terrain on RB/RO which is predominantly at level 1.

Jobbo_Fett

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Though Rooftops are in play, Bldgs F8, I6 & S4 cannot have anyone on their rooftops (and rooftops cannot be fortified) as they are single hex bldgs (perhaps it's just the coloring of the FtBldg markers that doesn't come thru well). Also, though the offboard observer is indeed at level three, be aware he is actually only 2 levels above most of the ground terrain on RB/RO which is predominantly at level 1.
Yeah those are just fortified building markers. Nobody has gone up to rooftops yet. In fact, I kinda forget about rooftops and cellars for a little bit, as I'm still getting used to both being in play.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah those are just fortified building markers. Nobody has gone up to rooftops yet. In fact, I kinda forget about rooftops and cellars for a little bit, as I'm still getting used to both being in play.
BTW Like your selection in your avatar, got to fire most of them I think (and yup, even the MG-42 [EDIT: or is an MG-3?]).?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Are you prepared to spend years playing this CG? That is how long it is going to take.

Jobbo_Fett

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
BTW Like your selection in your avatar, got to fire most of them I think (and yup, even the MG-42 [EDIT: or is an MG-3?]).?
From left to right:

Polish wz.29, Type 99, M38 Carcano, German K98k, MAS-36, M1 Carbine, SVT-40. Bottom is MG-34. Somehow forgot my M1 Garand in that pic, and have added a bunch since that photo.

Are you prepared to spend years playing this CG? That is how long it is going to take.
Can't wait!

Jobbo_Fett

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
October 17th, 1942
Day 1, Part 4

The story so far:

Plenty of fire is exchanged between both sides, but only one German squad is permanently removed from the battlefield. The Russians begin sending everyone on the right flank towards the center, with the eventual goal of reinforcing the left flank, or preventing a breakthrough should that occur. (By this point I was still ignorant of the LOS from debris hexes, so a nice Berserk stack goes to waste)

Losses
Germans [Lost 5 CVP]
Rifle Company A (1 squad - 2 CVP)

Russians [Lost 14 CVP]
Militia Company A (4 squads - 8 CVP) + LMG(x1)
AT Gun Crew(x1 - 2 CVP)

Victory Conditions
Germans control 3 of 15 Stone Locations required to win.

Special Units

State of the board at the end of Part 4

State of MAP control at the end of Part 4 [Colourized]

Jobbo_Fett

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
October 17th, 1942
Day 1, Part 5

The story so far:

The Germans are attempting to make some progress again, and yet another unit goes Berserk. By this point, however, I've realised my mistake with the LOS, and the unit is in sight of an enemy unit, so we will get to see someone charge recklessly at the Russians. Another weapon for the Russians is eliminated, due to a failed repair die roll. More artillery comes down, getting a few results. The advancing Germans gain a little ground, but also saw a number of units break or get pinned down at inopportune moments. By the end of the turn, a fierce melee has developed in a rubbled structure.

Losses
Germans [Lost 11 CVP]
Rifle Company A (1 squad - 2 CVP)
Sturm Company A (1 squad - 2 CVP)
Panzer III Ausf H Platoon A (1 Vehicle - 4 CVP)

Russians [Lost 18 CVP]
Militia Company A (5 squads - 10 CVP) + LMG(x1) + ATR(x1)
Rifle Company A () + MMG(x1)
SMG Company A (2 squads - 4 CVP)
AT Gun Crew(x1 - 2 CVP)

Victory Conditions
Germans control 4 of 15 Stone Locations required to win.

Special Units

State of the board at the end of Part 5

State of MAP control at the end of Part 5 [Colourized]

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Are you not tempted to use the RB map overlays that came in RF?