Scenario lists to bring to tournaments

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I generally don't bring scenario lists to tournaments. I will play anything you want to play (I reserve right to veto, but won't often exercise that). Stuff new at the tournament is also a good starting point. It occurs to me that this is slightly impolite. What if my opponent doesn't have a good idea of what to play either? It might be nice to have a list of interesting scenarios to hand. What if my opponent is interested in learning PTO or vehicles or DTO or whatnot. It might be nice to have a set of lists covering such situations too. What lists should I have at the ready?

JR

Last edited:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A) Your opponent should be aware of who you are...[insert reputation here...not not you JR other folks].
B) You don't need lists b/c you are VERY well qualified to play anything at the drop of the hat (though slight concession to SK as I am not sure you know this rules like you know G14.......)...and you might not think you are qualified but you are a VERY good sportsman and say to yourself and aloud "I better check this rule"and you mean this in all fairness...
C) Now go start a better thread than this, something in the Honza vein bit with a JR twist like is it better to shoot at a CPVA 627 or a 527...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I am considering lists so that I can get down to gaming quicker. It's a matter of getting some scenarios from which to choose quickly. The ROAR recommended and balanced lists are not bad places to find a selection of suitable scenarios too.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Ah, a list of short/quick-playing scenarios. That's a good one to have.

JR

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
GS is full of threads on “what are your top 10 scenarios”, what are best tourney scenarios, what is the best PTO/ETO/DTO scenario, etc. to grab lists. I also look at well established tournaments to see what scenarios they are using. And as you said, ROAR’s most played scenarios is also useful.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
This year, I brought Poland in Flames, and a copy of the most balanced (given a resonable enough playings on ROAR) Friendly Fire scenarios.

Plus I had the new AP.

That was my "play" list.

If my opponent had no "list", I handed him the pile and had him pick a few.

Peace

Roger

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I generally don't bring scenario lists to tournaments. I will play anything you want to play (I reserve right to veto, but won't often exercise that). Stuff new at the tournament is also a good starting point. It occurs to me that this is slightly impolite. What if my opponent doesn't have a good idea of what to play either? It might be nice to have a list of interesting scenarios to hand. What if my opponent is interested in learning PTO or vehicles or DTO or whatnot. It might be nice to have a set of lists covering such situations too. What lists should I have at the ready?

JR
IMO, more than slightly!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
IMO, more than slightly!
If my opponent doesn't have a list, he can't justify expecting me to have a list. It's a nice-to-have, one that might help speed up scenario selection. I think it might be most useful when an opponent says, "I've never played X before."

JR

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I bring a binder with a couple of dozen scenarios, and invite potential opponents to browse through and pick anything they like. It seems to work.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If my opponent doesn't have a list, he can't justify expecting me to have a list. It's a nice-to-have, one that might help speed up scenario selection. I think it might be most useful when an opponent says, "I've never played X before."

JR
Both you and your opponent should have a list. It is the courteous thing to do.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If only someone would write up a review of that list.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I’m old school and bring a printed pile for folks to pick through.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
See? That's why everyone speaks of you as the most gracious player in ASLdom.

JR
No need to be snide. Just bring a scenario list with you and the universe will be a slightly better place for it.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IMO, more than slightly!
“I’ll play anything (within reason) you wish. You don’t have something you want to play? Then how about one of these new ones, whichever one you wish.”

THAT’s ”more than slightly“ impolite??

i disagree, and I bet the vast majority of tournament players disagree.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I generally opt to play whatever is new.

Also bring a few when there is not much new stuff, like this year.