Sunshades at tournaments

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I inherited a south window seat at ASLOK when my opponent left early. These are nice vestibules down a hallway, but, as I said, they face south and the hotel curtains are sheer at best. Most of the day you either have the sun beating down on your back or in your eyes, depending on which side of the table you sit. To counter this I brought up the windshield sunshades from my car and taped them up to the window (Bret had some masking tape at the desk). This wasn't perfect as it only covered some of the window, but it was a noticeable improvement.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I like being in the main room, the smells, the noise and the epic coolness of being among the rest of the unwashed masses is awesome.
The table I inherited was the one right by the bar. Every two minutes my opponent was up watching baseball. Baseball should be finished by September, football should end by Christmas (EXC: New Year's day), and hockey should be done by mid-March at the latest. Possibly by Thanksgiving.

JR

Last edited:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I inherited a south window seat at ASLOK when my opponent left early. These are nice vestibules down a hallway, but, as I said, they face south and the hotel curtains are sheer at best. Most of the day you either have the sun beating down on your back or in your eyes, depending on which side of the table you sit. To counter this I brought up the windshield sunshades from my car and taped them up to the window (Bret had some masking tape at the desk). This wasn't perfect as it only covered some of the window, but it was a noticeable improvement.

JR
<Cough> "inherited" ASLRB of which you are master makes no provision for same...what you did was called Jump Claim...Poach...Pilfer...etc...

What you note is sun blindness...that you took care to shield your OPFOR is well a gesture to fair play...which you did not show me last year when you tried your Jedi mind games on gun set up..but I do note you were kind to your buddy Kevin, guess I know where I stand,...but Kevin I believe placed you between a ROK and hard place...

But to your credit both Ken Moiduski and Jack Daniels also placed shields against the sun....

Last edited:

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

JR
Huh...sun issue in Cleveland in October...this is a once in 20 year issue, at best.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Huh...sun issue in Cleveland in October...this is a once in 20 year issue, at best.
Oh, wait, what? The great GROFAZ champ has never been forced to play on the south side...IS THAT how you win at ASLOK?

Ooops, I am not good on sarcasm...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
There were a lot of problems in the main room, what, two years ago when the hotel was still under construction and there were no drapes in the west. And it's been getting warmer in October too.

JR

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, wait, what? The great GROFAZ champ has never been forced to play on the south side...IS THAT how you win at ASLOK?

Ooops, I am not good on sarcasm...
It’s more a matter of never getting to play in the “high rent” area of the venue. I’m more of a blue collar Clevelander who only dwells in the bigger, more crowded, main ballroom. Where somebody needs to get by your chair every 5 minutes, but is always polite about the inconvenience. Where I enjoy my gaming neighbors being only inches away, not down the block in the next spacious window section. ?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Where I enjoy my gaming neighbors being only inches away, not down the block in the next spacious window section. ?
It's nice over there [EXC: sun blindness; intense heat haze]. Spread your stuff out on the floor. No one bumping into you. Lots of table space.

JR

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It’s more a matter of never getting to play in the “high rent” area of the venue. I’m more of a blue collar Clevelander who only dwells in the bigger, more crowded, main ballroom. Where somebody needs to get by your chair every 5 minutes, but is always polite about the inconvenience. Where I enjoy my gaming neighbors being only inches away, not down the block in the next spacious window section. ?
Hear you...I arrive late afternoon on Wednesday each time and hope there is room in the projects...this year seemed like a more open project venue.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The table I inherited was the one right by the bar. Every two minutes my opponent was up watching baseball. Baseball should be finished by September, football should end by Christmas (EXC: New Year's day), and hockey should be done by mid-March at the latest. Possibly by Thanksgiving.

JR
You are a Grouchy Olde Bastard.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Baseball is finished by September. If you want to watch the "postseason", that's on you (or your opponent in this case).

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States

JR
"Possibly by Thanksgiving"!?!?!?!? For Hockey? It doesn't start until October and you want it done by the end of November???? Why???? It's God's gift to the sporting world! :D

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I used to love being down that hallway, alas, by the time I get there Monday afternoon, the spots are gone. Plus once they renovated and went to the sheer (again at best) drapes, its way to hot in the hallway for me.

For the most part the main room was cool this year. Which was fine by me.

Roger

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Plus once they renovated and went to the sheer (again at best) drapes, its way to hot in the hallway for me.
That's why I went looking for a shade. The hotel also had some black tablecloths that were used on the Gamer's Armory tables, and I thought about grabbing one of those but didn't. If I were planning to come really early I would also bring some foam boards which I have. They are light enough to stay up with tape.

JR

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah I can't even stay over there and watch a game for long without sweating buckets on most mornings...

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Yes, one can get cooked sitting in those alcoves. I like the area where the bar is. Cooler than the alcoves and warmer than the freezing main room.