Can a squad firing a Gun also use its inherent FP?

KenYoung

ASLKWAD
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Can a squad firing a Gun (as a non-qualified friendly MMC) also use its inherent FP?

I say yes, because of "A9.11 MMC USAGE: A squad may fire any one SW MG at no cost to its own Inherent FP"
But my opponent says no, because a Gun is not a SW.

We could not find anything in chapter C that gives us the answer.

If a Gun is not treated like a SW for A9.1 (because a Gun is not a SW). Then Someone could try and argue. That a crew can fire two (or more) Guns in one fire phase. Because it is not restricted by A9.1.​

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
SW are 1/2" counters. Guns (unless you're playing SL and not ASL) are 5/8" counters (as per C2.1). Manned by non-crew MMC are submitted to A21.13 penalties. So, I don't see why the MMC should forfait its inherent FP. (in real life, we're talking about 3-4 men of a squad acting as a crew, and you'll pay with the penalties). But the attempt to force 2 guns being fired by one MMC without losing inherent FP is to strain not only the rules but common sense. But surely jrv has a more precise answer for you.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Can a squad firing a Gun (as a non-qualified friendly MMC) also use its inherent FP?

I say yes, because of "A9.11 MMC USAGE: A squad may fire any one SW MG at no cost to its own Inherent FP"
But my opponent says no, because a Gun is not a SW.

We could not find anything in chapter C that gives us the answer.

If a Gun is not treated like a SW for A9.1 (because a Gun is not a SW). Then Someone could try and argue. That a crew can fire two (or more) Guns in one fire phase. Because it is not restricted by A9.1.
As to your second question, as if a crew can fire two (or more) guns in one fire phase, the strain goes a step more: As per A5.4: There is no stacking limit for ordnance or SW, although the number of crews/HS which may function as Gun crews in a Location (A5.5) limit the effective use of Guns in a Location to three. But by A7.352 and A7353 I should say that a crew is limited to only one SW/Gun. <edit> Indeed, reflecting on the rule, a crew MUST be asigned to only ONE Gun. A crew Manning a Gun is considered a MMC counter, so an hex with only one Crew could contain infinite Guns. But that's again against common sense: A crew man a Gun. To man another has to move and expose itself, has to prepare, aim and fire… Too many film heroes here… Change the Gun to man, if you want… but in another game phase<edit>

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Yes, as others have mentioned before.

A squad manning a Gun is not entitled to Emplacement benefits, though (C11.2).

I am not sure if a squad manning a Gun would be entitled to Gunshield benefits, but as I understand C11.5 it is not. Can anyone confirm?

von Marwitz