Tourney Scenario Picks

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any of these unsuitable for tournament play?

Batty-P

Double Trouble

Milling About

Hart Attack

The Marketplace at Wormhoudt

First Clash in Tunisia

Let's Dance

Snipers, Spandaus & Schrecks

Turning the Screws

War Ensemble

Arms Race

The RHA at Bay

House of Pain

Stand at Festubert

Objective Exodus

Husum Hotfoot

Portomaggiore

Piege a Carpiquet

Cauchemar écossais

I Don't Like Retreating

As Luck Would Have It

Coriano

Thanks Friends!

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The ones that I have played (13) are suitable. I need to do some research to give more feedback.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
"Two Pounds in Return" is one to avoid. If the CW player chooses tactic "A" he will lose, and if he chooses tactic "B" he will probably win. Either choice will lead to a very dull and predictable game.

"Operation sur la Gudbransdal" didn't appeal to me much, but I can't recall the specifics.

Similarly, I didn't much enjoy "Massacre au paradis" when I played it, but it was so long ago that not only can I not remember any details, but there's a good chance that if I played it again now I might love it; my play style has evolved considerably since those days.

"The Marketplace at Wormhoudt" is a great scenario, but might be too meaty for a tournament (depending on how much time you want to devote to it I guess).

Other than that, I'm either unfamiliar with the scenarios or think they are perfectly fine for a tournament. "House of Pain" stands out in particular IMO.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I agree with Bruce. I love my scenario Marketplace at Wormhoudt, might be one of the best balanced scenarios I ever came up with but would best be played in an evening round with no time limits or during the day with at least 6 to 8 hours to spare. Well worth the time for sure, it is a Blast, Vic.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hart Attack has been used in two tournaments here in Europe. So that one is OK..........

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’m looking to shake up the old 3 scenarios pick 2 each round thing.

Looking at something like this: give a list with two to three times as many scenarios as the number of rounds. Players rank each of them in order of preference. Each round you play the scenario who’s total rank, after both player’s lists are added together, is the highest ranked of the combined lists. That’s the scenario you play. The person with the chosen scenario at the lower spot on his list chooses the side. In case of a ranking tie, roll off.
Alternatively, the person with the lower scenario ranking position gets a negative DR modifier equal to the difference and low roll gets side of choice.
Only issue I see is that the likelihood of lower ranked scenarios will be played as the rounds advance and the higher ranked scenarios are used for earlier round play.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks to those have replied. Hoping to hear from many more on this.
For those who have asked, this is for the DC Conscripts tourney next June.
I will have several new scenarios and 2-3 map boards to choose from as well. Those will.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Players rank each of them in order of preference. Each round you play the scenario who’s total rank, after both player’s lists are added together, is the highest ranked of the combined lists.
You have to deal with ties: rankings for first player: 1, 2, 3 and rankings for second player: 2, 1, 3.

JR

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Agree Marketplace at Wormhoudt is good but a little bit too big for a tourney.

House of pain is really good but just a little bit too small for most rounds. Good for a final where everyone has 3 hours before they have to go home at lunchtime.

Remember enjoying double trouble and milling about but the details are a bit vague now.

I don't like retreating seemed a bit hard for the Germans but only played once.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I’m looking to shake up the old 3 scenarios pick 2 each round thing.

Looking at something like this: give a list with two to three times as many scenarios as the number of rounds. Players rank each of them in order of preference. Each round you play the scenario who’s total rank, after both player’s lists are added together, is the highest ranked of the combined lists. That’s the scenario you play. The person with the chosen scenario at the lower spot on his list chooses the side. In case of a ranking tie, roll off.
Alternatively, the person with the lower scenario ranking position gets a negative DR modifier equal to the difference and low roll gets side of choice.
Only issue I see is that the likelihood of lower ranked scenarios will be played as the rounds advance and the higher ranked scenarios are used for earlier round play.
Not clear whether the list is fixed for the entire event or may change every round.

With a list of 10 scenarios for the entire event, (10;2) would trump (6;5), which is not great for fairness purposes. The printed balance is not that large in many instances to act as a sweetener (unless scenarios are almost perfectly balanced).

The likelihood mitigator goes some way towards addressing the issue, but it remains that side selection depends on a single DR.

My two euro cents

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You have to deal with ties: rankings for first player: 1, 2, 3 and rankings for second player: 2, 1, 3.

JR
In that situation the players involved have three choices.

Option 1: Roll for their #1 choice to be played. DR winner plays their scenario, DR loser gets choice of sides.

Option 2: The two players agree among themselves on which of the two scenarios to play. The player who’s first choice did not get chosen picks their side.

Option 3: DR for scenario, DR for sides.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not clear whether the list is fixed for the entire event or may change every round.

With a list of 10 scenarios for the entire event, (10;2) would trump (6;5), which is not great for fairness purposes. The printed balance is not that large in many instances to act as a sweetener (unless scenarios are almost perfectly balanced).

The likelihood mitigator goes some way towards addressing the issue, but it remains that side selection depends on a single DR.

My two euro cents
List would be fixed for the entire event.

10+2 is 12.
6+5 is 11.
11<12 therefore the 6,5 choice would be played.

The side would be determined as follows. The player who ranked the (6+5) scenario as 6th would get to choose the side they wanted. Alternatively, they would each make a dr with the player who ranked the scenario ’6’ receiving a (5-6 = -1) -1 DRM to his roll. Low roll then picking sides.
(I rethought the DR/dr for sides and decided that a DR makes it a bit easier to get scenario you chose and the side you want when rolling for sides, even with the DRM.)

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’ve been out of it for so long I have no knowledge of the latest scenarios.
If folks would like to post scenarios here that they think are great tourney scenarios I would greatly appreciate the input.
Western Front ?? ?? ?? or ?? and ?? Polskie Sily Zbrojne na Zachodzie only.

Thanks again!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
In that situation the players involved have three choices.

Option 1: Roll for their #1 choice to be played. DR winner plays their scenario, DR loser gets choice of sides.

Option 2: The two players agree among themselves on which of the two scenarios to play. The player who’s first choice did not get chosen picks their side.

Option 3: DR for scenario, DR for sides.
Option 4:
Both players secretly note 1st choice, 2nd choice and "delete scenario".
Both opponents then reveal simultaneously their choices and there are three possibilities which are handled in the following sequence.
  • Nobody must play a scenario that was deleted. If both opponents delete a different scenario then there is only one left which must be played.
  • Both opponents preferences are identical. In this case the scenario from their first choice is played.
  • Both opponents deleted the same scenario but ranked the remaining scenarios differently. In this case roll a die to determine the scenario. The lower die indicates the scenario which must be played.
Sides are determined by bidding for side and balance:

Choices are Axis 0, 1, 2 / Allies 0, 1, 2.

Ax0 / Ax0 => DR decides, winner gets desired side, loser gains 1 step balance.
Otherwise highest balance bid gets desired side.

von Marwitz

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Option 4:
Both players secretly note 1st choice, 2nd choice and "delete scenario".
Both opponents then reveal simultaneously their choices and there are three possibilities which are handled in the following sequence.
  • Nobody must play a scenario that was deleted. If both opponents delete a different scenario then there is only one left which must be played.
  • Both opponents preferences are identical. In this case the scenario from their first choice is played.
  • Both opponents deleted the same scenario but ranked the remaining scenarios differently. In this case roll a die to determine the scenario. The lower die indicates the scenario which must be played.
Sides are determined by bidding for side and balance:

Choices are Axis 0, 1, 2 / Allies 0, 1, 2.

Ax0 / Ax0 => DR decides, winner gets desired side, loser gains 1 step balance.
Otherwise highest balance bid gets desired side.

von Marwitz
This would work for the '3-scenario/round' lists.

What I am proposing is a tournament list of 20 or so scenarios where, before the tourney starts, each player ranks the scenarios in order 1-20. The scenario picked to play is the one with the smallest total from each list.

Example:
Of all the 20 possible combinations when merging their two lists of their scenario rankings, Bob and Phil have ranked scenario Q as the lowest combined total.

Bob ranks scenario Q at 2 (of 20) + Phil ranks Q at 4 (of 20) totaling 6.

Scenario A will be played. As this was a lower ranked scenario for Phil(4) than for Bob(2), Phil (player ranking scenario Q at 4) gets a -2 dr (4-2) for the roll to determine sides.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
List would be fixed for the entire event.

10+2 is 12.
6+5 is 11.
11<12 therefore the 6,5 choice would be played.

The side would be determined as follows. The player who ranked the (6+5) scenario as 6th would get to choose the side they wanted. Alternatively, they would each make a dr with the player who ranked the scenario ’6’ receiving a (5-6 = -1) -1 DRM to his roll. Low roll then picking sides.
(I rethought the DR/dr for sides and decided that a DR makes it a bit easier to get scenario you chose and the side you want when rolling for sides, even with the DRM.)
My point was that a scenario could be selected even though relative rankings could be far apart. Choosing selections where preferences of A are close to those of B would be more equitable (but then a matching software would be necessary which would require entering manually the list in the laptop + some program to auto-process matching.)

The DR modifier may not enough.

With fixed lists a scenario can be selected several times.

That's it for me.