So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
We just played ASL Scenario 132, "Hill 253.5". This has lots of little things that adds lots of spice: OBA, Aircraft, Mines, Wire, Foxholes, etc. It's a long one at 8 turns, however.

My Russian OBA landed well a few times and hurt the Germans. Along with an early A-T mine to immobilize one German Pz VD, I was off to a good start. More luck for me as his other Pz VD tried to start his engine and it caught fire and turned into a burning wreck (start DR=12).

But the Germans have lots of infantry--good infantry. After a few Russian A-P mines hit the German troops, the Germans slowed down to search just about everywhere--that might have been the Germans undoing. I think the Germans were a turn or two too slow in the end.

My Russian HMG on Hill 621 broke the German leader trying to call in OBA early, also. So finally around turn 4 the German leader got some OBA and called in SMOKE as the Germans advanced onto Hill 621. It worked well and allowed the Germans to get near the summit of Hill 621. However, one last A-P mine near the summit took out a few Germans.

By that time the Russian reinforcements are coming on board, although one got immobilized also. Neither got Air Support until turn 5 (Russians on turn 6) but the Germans only one one Stuka and the Russians got all three of their aircraft. A few good Russian strafing runs and that put a cap on the German offensive. By turn 7 the Germans capitulated.

It was fun and I think balanced. I think the early mines help mess with the German game plan. That was probably the key, in my opinion.

Roll low!

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played AP27 All Roads Lead to Rome as the Germans. Weird board set up, but it works with the exception of having to implement A2.3. Can extended terrain be bypassed or no? Funky victory conditions so read carefully. Too much to explain here, but it basically boils down to the Germans maintaining control of the bridge and keeping a CVP edge. I don't see any way the Germans can possibly avoid giving up 5 VPs for keeping the north/south road clear of Italians or gain any exit VPs by exiting in the north. With five sets of Italian reinforcements entering from the north and no armor or transportation to speak of, it would be a suicide run to even try for it.

Anyway, I rolled HORRIBLE whenever I fired anything. To sum it up, by turn 4 (of 8) MMG broke (X repair roll), 81mm MTR lost smoke on first try then broke (never repaired), RCL broke (never repaired), AT Gun broke (never repaired). MCs were OK. When the AT Gun went down, I lost it. Not able to hit much to begin with and no more ordinance was just too much for me. My friend, however, talked me out of rage quitting. I said I'd do one more turn and see how it went. He had one isolated tank (the other had recalled due to MA repair failure) so I rushed it with two PSKs. He missed and I took it out. That gave me a decent bump in CVPs so I just needed to hold the bridge. With 17.5 (of 18) 5-4-8 in position to block the bridge, my friend didn't think he had the firepower or men to stand up to them. This time I tried to talk him out quitting but he would have none of it. He said he screwed up his at start forces thinking he needed to defend the road (5VP) more than take the bridge (6VP). So it ended with neither one of us happy. Still, both of us would recommend it for either side, although I think it is tough on the Italians.

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hard ROK ASL203 Korea, 1st day of the war, '50. Armor and elite NKPA must get across one bridge on board 23. They are opposed by a motley ROK force. My NKPA came down the east side of the board, making good progress. I lost a T-34 /85 to a 60mm MTR shot, Immo'ed and useless to the rest of the attack. at the board edge between 10 and 23, I hit the main ROK line, and lost an SU-76 to the 37mm ATG. But, I was able to flank most of the trouble and got to the big church on 23. H-B hero's Immo'ed my last T-34, which had a broken gun anyway. I got 1 hs across the canal on the second to last turn, then made my dash on the final turn. There were not many ROK left by then, but there was a lot of ground to cover; 12 of the needed 15 VP over, ROK win. Fun scenario.

If only the 60mm had not Immo'ed my T-34/ 85 so early!

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hard ROK ASL203 Korea, 1st day of the war, '50. Armor and elite NKPA must get across one bridge on board 23. They are opposed by a motley ROK force. My NKPA came down the east side of the board, making good progress. I lost a T-34 /85 to a 60mm MTR shot, Immo'ed and useless to the rest of the attack. at the board edge between 10 and 23, I hit the main ROK line, and lost an SU-76 to the 37mm ATG. But, I was able to flank most of the trouble and got to the big church on 23. H-B hero's Immo'ed my last T-34, which had a broken gun anyway. I got 1 hs across the canal on the second to last turn, then made my dash on the final turn. There were not many ROK left by then, but there was a lot of ground to cover; 12 of the needed 15 VP over, ROK win. Fun scenario.

I think this will be on my ASLOk play list.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance

An attack at an appropriate pace should be successful most of the time.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Transylvania 6-5000 RPT 4 Romania, '44. Small Soviet force must defend a crossroads and a hill. They are attacked by Hungarians with StuGs. (Or maybe you like to say, Sturmkanone 40 Rohamagyu.) I set up to defend both objectives. The Huns came after the board 42 crossroads, and cleared the crossroads itself by turn 2. We traded a T-34 M43 for a StuG. I was able to hold out for a few turns at 42J1, and delay the attack on board 3. In the final armor duel, my T-34/85 took out 2 StuGs. The Huns then couldn't clear the 3W6 hill. Soviet win. Good, meat and potatoes ASL.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Transylvania 6-5000 RPT 4 Romania, '44. Small Soviet force must defend a crossroads and a hill. They are attacked by Hungarians with StuGs. (Or maybe you like to say, Sturmkanone 40 Rohamagyu.) I set up to defend both objectives. The Huns came after the board 42 crossroads, and cleared the crossroads itself by turn 2. We traded a T-34 M43 for a StuG. I was able to hold out for a few turns at 42J1, and delay the attack on board 3. In the final armor duel, my T-34/85 took out 2 StuGs. The Huns then couldn't clear the 3W6 hill. Soviet win. Good, meat and potatoes ASL.
Yeah, I like this one. Challenging for both sides. That first Rally Point pack has great scenarios.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have read so many AARs on this site and others that say, "...went down to the last CC!" while in my case, my friend and I almost always have the game determined with at least a turn to spare. Definitely not saying it doesn't happen, but I can only remember maybe less than five times that has happened with us (last CC, not last turn) and we have been battling since SL. No so this time.

We played two scenarios. First up was OA19 The Queen's Prequel. As the Germans, I spread my units out to interdict possible approach paths. With two MTRs, I figured lead elements might get smoked - and one did. The British set up every unit to the west. Two squads and a leader were swarmed by the Brits. One I voluntarily broke to save it from being massacred in CC but the leader/squad combo had to stick and stay. They tied up one squad in CC but the next turn they paid for it. Not wanting to chance my guys winning in CC and having to waste precious time on his next turn, my friend fired into the CC on the 36 column in the DFPh. With both negative leaders directing, he rolled snakes. I think that's the first time I've seen a 5KIA. The rest of the game saw the Brits creep up ready to pounce during the last turn. On the last half of the turn the Brits jumped my 5-4-8 and the 9-1 in one half of the victory building and moved a 9-1 and HS into position to jump the squad that had previously broke and ran way in the second half of the victory building. A timely roll from me resulted in a K/2 on that stack. The HS bit it but the leader survived unscathed. My friend called it, but I reminded him the leader could still jump into CC and with a miracle roll, take out my squad. With two CCs for the game, we decided to resolve the leader CC first. He got ambush and I immediately regretted talking him into continuing. However, he failed to harm the squad and that was that. Exciting finish that went down to the last (two) CCs!

The second scenario was, of course, OA20 The Revenge of the Greys. We decided to randomize the plane wrecks again since the scenario was pretty much exactly the same as the first with the addition of some armor. Based on what happened last time, I didn't guard the approaches as well to prevent my men from being swarmed again. Mistake. The British just rushed across into the woods in the same place as the first first scenario unhindered this time. One tank entered from the west but my hidden StuG took it out. This time, building 14H9 did fall. The Brits needed two more buildings. Here's where ASL is at its best. While everything that is done in a scenario impacts the game, the last half turn of this scenario magnified that. Each move, roll, and decision was critical. Men running up with PIATs to take out the StuG, CHs, snipers, FPF or not, desperate moves to get in place to steal some buildings, all happened in that last half turn. One British squad survived several shots in an open ground rush across the runway and I had nothing left to stop it from taking the building it was adjacent to. Another British HS ran to another building and survived multiple open ground shots only to succumb to a FPF shot with my last chance. All that was left was three British squads adjacent to my 9-1, 5-4-8/LMG stack. A 16 straight shot netted a 2MC. All failed. Game. It almost came down to the last CC, but that was close enough for me!

So, two great games in one day. Heartbreaking for my friend but exciting for us both nonetheless. Hope this trend continues next week in the last of this trilogy of scenarios.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Magnus Rimvall and I finished J44 AUDACITY! I think the French need some luck to win this scenario. The French must attack through mostly open ground and mud, while the Germans start concealed and mostly in wooden buildings. I lost both tanks, one to the ATG and the other to CC, which contributed to losing on turn five by hitting the CVP cap.

The image below is at the end of turn four.

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
I have read so many AARs on this site and others that say, "...went down to the last CC!" while in my case, my friend and I almost always have the game determined with at least a turn to spare. Definitely not saying it doesn't happen, but I can only remember maybe less than five times that has happened with us (last CC, not last turn) and we have been battling since SL. No so this time.

We played two scenarios. First up was OA19 The Queen's Prequel. As the Germans, I spread my units out to interdict possible approach paths. With two MTRs, I figured lead elements might get smoked - and one did. The British set up every unit to the west. Two squads and a leader were swarmed by the Brits. One I voluntarily broke to save it from being massacred in CC but the leader/squad combo had to stick and stay. They tied up one squad in CC but the next turn they paid for it. Not wanting to chance my guys winning in CC and having to waste precious time on his next turn, my friend fired into the CC on the 36 column in the DFPh. With both negative leaders directing, he rolled snakes. I think that's the first time I've seen a 5KIA. The rest of the game saw the Brits creep up ready to pounce during the last turn. On the last half of the turn the Brits jumped my 5-4-8 and the 9-1 in one half of the victory building and moved a 9-1 and HS into position to jump the squad that had previously broke and ran way in the second half of the victory building. A timely roll from me resulted in a K/2 on that stack. The HS bit it but the leader survived unscathed. My friend called it, but I reminded him the leader could still jump into CC and with a miracle roll, take out my squad. With two CCs for the game, we decided to resolve the leader CC first. He got ambush and I immediately regretted talking him into continuing. However, he failed to harm the squad and that was that. Exciting finish that went down to the last (two) CCs!

The second scenario was, of course, OA20 The Revenge of the Greys. We decided to randomize the plane wrecks again since the scenario was pretty much exactly the same as the first with the addition of some armor. Based on what happened last time, I didn't guard the approaches as well to prevent my men from being swarmed again. Mistake. The British just rushed across into the woods in the same place as the first first scenario unhindered this time. One tank entered from the west but my hidden StuG took it out. This time, building 14H9 did fall. The Brits needed two more buildings. Here's where ASL is at its best. While everything that is done in a scenario impacts the game, the last half turn of this scenario magnified that. Each move, roll, and decision was critical. Men running up with PIATs to take out the StuG, CHs, snipers, FPF or not, desperate moves to get in place to steal some buildings, all happened in that last half turn. One British squad survived several shots in an open ground rush across the runway and I had nothing left to stop it from taking the building it was adjacent to. Another British HS ran to another building and survived multiple open ground shots only to succumb to a FPF shot with my last chance. All that was left was three British squads adjacent to my 9-1, 5-4-8/LMG stack. A 16 straight shot netted a 2MC. All failed. Game. It almost came down to the last CC, but that was close enough for me!

So, two great games in one day. Heartbreaking for my friend but exciting for us both nonetheless. Hope this trend continues next week in the last of this trilogy of scenarios.
Played Queens Prequel, lost in final turn on the losses of 2 CCs. Have to look @ OA20

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I remember playing that series a few years ago. Good stuff indeed. All three games were memorable.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Grave Situation DB 121 Yugoslavia, '44, the Drvar raid. The SS are fighting for survival in a large hill top cemetery. At night. (This is a modified Hi8 overlay, with all level 2 and three hexes converted to level 2 graveyard, inside a stone wall. The modified overlay comes with the DftB issue.) The victory conditions are unique too. The Yugo horde can win by controlling a number of graveyard hexes greater than or equal to the turn number.
I sent my horde in from the east, and was able to make a decent run at controlling 3 hexes on T3. But, I was thrown out of one hex. On T4, I lost another graveyard hex, all the while getting shredded by German firepower. By turn 5, enough SS had been killed off to take 5 hexes. (Thank you, Italian made 81mm!) Of course, back they came, but the horde won the melees.

Great scenario. Night Lite as well, with a high NVR, and neither side is scenario attacker/ defender, so much of the night rules are not in use.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
We played RB6 Turned Away yesterday: My Germans (having to take the HIP Russian HQ) were really motivated at the beginning and took ground at an enormous speed. Then I got a little bit too cocky and moved a 9-1 and a squad adjacent to a possible HQ location. It was the real one, and they got hit by point blank fire, resulting in a 2KIA. From this time on, the high spirit of my Germans was gone. They began to break, they got ambushed and instantly annihilated every single time there was a CC, the Russian sniper landed a few hits, and so on. My Germans must have felt a little bit frustrated, and in the second to last turn, my 9-2 lost his nerves, rolled HoB -> berserker and infected the two squads he was stacked with. They charged down the street and even managed to reach the (of course, fortified) HQ building and banged on the barricaded doors before they got mowed down. An appropriately bloody ending to a fun and exciting scenario.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Grave Situation DB 121 Yugoslavia, '44, the Drvar raid. The SS are fighting for survival in a large hill top cemetery. At night. (This is a modified Hi8 overlay, with all level 2 and three hexes converted to level 2 graveyard, inside a stone wall. The modified overlay comes with the DftB issue.) The victory conditions are unique too. The Yugo horde can win by controlling a number of graveyard hexes greater than or equal to the turn number.
I sent my horde in from the east, and was able to make a decent run at controlling 3 hexes on T3. But, I was thrown out of one hex. On T4, I lost another graveyard hex, all the while getting shredded by German firepower. By turn 5, enough SS had been killed off to take 5 hexes. (Thank you, Italian made 81mm!) Of course, back they came, but the horde won the melees.

Great scenario. Night Lite as well, with a high NVR, and neither side is scenario attacker/ defender, so much of the night rules are not in use.
I loved this one. My favorite night and partisan scenario of all time!

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Night and partisans that's a good blend.

Funny that there are very few scenarios available.