What was your very first computer wargame you ever played???

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I just remembered that one of my first computer wargames was a stripped-down Squad Leader: Avalon Hill's Close Assault. It came complete with a Board-3-like mapboard, plus US, Russian, and German counters. The rules were very basic, but the computer moved entirely HIP (it was actually double-blind) which made it interesting.

I think my actual first was another AH "microcomputer game" - North Atlantic Convoy Raider - a decent little hide-and-seek with you commanding the Bismarck. You usually got to blow up the Hood or Rodney, but sooner or later, the swordfish would take you down.

I guess I had four AH games in all. Also Legionnaire and, somewhat later I recall, Third Reich. This last proved frustrating since is looked quite good for the time, but the AI was easily routed...

But all this brings back memories of hours wasted waiting for my Atari 800 to load these games via its cassette deck. It could take half-an-hour, yet could easily mis-load forcing you to rewind and restart. And we won't even mention the occasional munching of tape through the gears...

Last edited: