Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Worked on my "overlay scan" project. I am going to scan all my overlays, print and then laminate the copies. As it turns out if you scan something then print the scan, the colors shift. For my scanner & printer the color becomes redder. I performed a series of experiments to find an adjustment for the scanned images so that they come out fairly close when printed.

I am printing the copies on photo paper. In addition to printing on the front, I also print the overlay number on the back. Depending on the brand of paper the reverse side of photo paper may not be suitable for printing on. With some brands the reverse side does not accept ink like the front and just smudges off. I will have to try some coatings to see if I can fix this for the paper I have.

edit: it may be that the photo paper back takes a lot more time for the ink to dry. I will have to experiment some more.

JR

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
If the ink on the back doesn't "pool" into droplets then a long drying time (over a radiator or other warm object helps) should work. If you find that it still dry smudges then a light spray coat of acrylic lacquer should fix that. While the spray might give a patchy appearance it will be on the back.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If the ink on the back doesn't "pool" into droplets then a long drying time (over a radiator or other warm object helps) should work. If you find that it still dry smudges then a light spray coat of acrylic lacquer should fix that. While the spray might give a patchy appearance it will be on the back.
The back does not pool. I actually tried krylon acrylic clear coat, and the black faded to a misty gray. I did an experiment with spraying ordinary paper with krylon first then printing as proof of concept, but then I found that on another photo paper page I had printed the ink had dried after a while. If worse comes to worst, I can always use a sharpie, because the only thing that's printed on the back is the overlay number. The end result just looks better if it's printed.

Getting the color shift right was the important thing. An opponent said he thought an orchard overlay was a level one hill. I think he exaggerated, but he had a point.

JR

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Finished checking tne Chronology of War 2018 the scenarios I own: 4916. Not bad. At one scenario a week, more than my life expectation…

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Learning the Air Support rules so that I can use FB in an upcoming scenario. I have to say that the article in the most recent LFT (maybe titled "Birds of Prey" - don't have the magazine in-hand at the moment) has been most useful.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Learning the Air Support rules so that I can use FB in an upcoming scenario. I have to say that the article in the most recent LFT (maybe titled "Birds of Prey" - don't have the magazine in-hand at the moment) has been most useful.
The rules are very simple: roll a mistaken attack; watch your opponent shred your forces.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Well finally had time to finish the repair to my 2.5mm clippers , hoping this works now ! View attachment 10311View attachment 10311
That's groundbreaking innovation, Olli. With the reinforced aluminum piece in the handle, you now probably own the very first "armoured" Oregon deluxe counter clipper...

I have one with a broken handle that would require just such a repair as well. Are you trading in spare parts or have set up a repair-shop yet?

von Marwitz

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
That's groundbreaking innovation, Olli. With the reinforced aluminum piece in the handle, you now probably own the very first "armoured" Oregon deluxe counter clipper...

I have one with a broken handle that would require just such a repair as well. Are you trading in spare parts or have set up a repair-shop yet?

von Marwitz
send me a pic of what’s happened to yours and I’ll let you know if I can help ok?

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
(Today in ASL I...) think I've developed carpal tunnel syndrome.

We have too many damned counters,...

but, damn,.... they do look better when clipped.

Only 146 more Russian vehicles to go and then its on to the Yanks

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany

What’s the symptoms, I’ve had Carpul ops on both hands , but was told that it’s due to the work I do as I had the symptoms way before I started clipping

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany

That’s around 10-15 minutes work then

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

While the Allied Minor troops still charged forward to overrun the position, in the crucial moment, Schütze Purist was wounded in his right wrist. The aggressive rattle of the Deluxe Oregon counter clipper ceased abruptly, while the Allied Minors closed in for the kill.

In this desperate situation, Oberst von Marwitz, leading the forces (of an excellent chablis down his throat) from the back of his bunker emerged in impeccable uniform in the trench. His monocled hawk-eyed glance grasped the situation within a fraction of a second.

Within the instant Oberst von Marwitz threw himself upon the Oregon, pulled the wounded Schütze Purist from the clipper and let go the handle. To the deep relief of the German troops, the rattling of the clipper commenced again. With grim determination Schütze Purist was feeding counters to it with his unwounded hand. In the last moment, all Allied Minor counters were cut down, clipped like summer grass with a scythe.

When the cardboard dust settled, Oberst von Marwitz and Schütze Purist were standing in counter clippings up to their ankles. The Deluxe Oregon counter clipper was clicking from heat. The relief men felt could be grasped...

Oberst von Marwitz remarked: "Verdammt, Kamerad, that was too close for comfort. We just managed to corner them in the last instant." Looking at the Allied Minors lying spread out inanimately all around the position, he added: "They only did what they were ordered to do. So we shall honor their effort and put them to rest decently."

The men fetched a few RAACO A75s and interred them in an Assorter close to the position. There they now lay, peaceful almost. Oberst von Marwitz mused: "I wish that this insane clipping would one day finally come to an end." "I agree, Herr Oberst." replied Schütze Purist with furrows on his troubled brow...

von Marwitz

Last edited: