So what scenarios have you played Recently?

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Magnus Rimvall and I played AP100 COAL IN THEIR STOCKINGS. I think this is a challenging, fun scenario for both sides. Two reconnaissance forces fight for stone buildings, but with a VP twist. The Americans receive two points for each controlled stone building at the end of each game turn. The Germans receive three points for each stone building that they still control at game end. The Germans also have exit VP possible, but to me that is more a feature to limit the early American options rather than a realistic VP objective.
The goal was to keep the US forces just a little tentative. Leave a gap, and the Puma or a halftrack could slip through. Also for historical feel, as the over-extended 2nd Pz was trying to get back to a reasonable defense line. So if the German accomplishes such- even on a small scale- it would be considered victory.

I think the design along with the playtest team accomplished that goal.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The goal was to keep the US forces just a little tentative. Leave a gap, and the Puma or a halftrack could slip through. Also for historical feel, as the over-extended 2nd Pz was trying to get back to a reasonable defense line. So if the German accomplishes such- even on a small scale- it would be considered victory.

One of the more memorable and funny events happened in this game for me a few years back as my buddy took his jeep and a HS and ran it into & through the village and back out again without ever getting hit. Man, I must have fired upon it at 5 or 6 times; the mental image always reminded me of that scene with sergeant taking his CDR back to the aid station with the jeep in A Bridge Too Far.

Curtis Brooks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the more memorable and funny events happened in this game for me a few years back as my buddy took his jeep and a HS and ran it into & through the village and back out again without ever getting hit. Man, I must have fired upon it at 5 or 6 times; the mental image always reminded me of that scene with sergeant taking his CDR back to the aid station with the jeep in A Bridge Too Far.
Who else but Rogers would do that.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Played this against Enrico a few years back. Outstanding scenario.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Surprised Gideon FT 233 Ethiopia, '41, Italian colonial force, with the slowest armored cars ever, attacks an Ethiopian force of regulars and partisans. (This was a great chance to break out my old SoN counters!) The Italians went after my regulars on the village overlay. My opponent was cautious with the Fiat 611s, but I was very lucky with the ATR and my few mg's. Two Fiats were knocked out through multiple hindrances, and the partisan HMG killed the bomber too! The Italians gained the upper hand in the village, but they were already behind in CVP. I fell back with the bits and pieces of regulars, and most of the partisans to the 47F2 ridge. There, it was too late for the Italians to gain enough VP.

Good scenario.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Red Valentines SP 140 I have read good reviews of this scenario, and it did not disappoint. Southern Russia, '42. SS force with panzers must take most of the board 48 village from a mixed crew of Soviets. The SS must have at least 2 running panzers at game end. I drew the Ruskies. The SS came through the gap in the AT ditch, with 3 panzers shooting down board 19. I didn't see the sneaky LOS to the AT ditch gap until after the game. But I did cover 19 with the Observer on the smallest hill in the Caucasus. He was able to kill a Pz4, and immo a Pz3. My OBA did not contribute much else to the game, but two tanks was a start. In the village, I got mauled. I used my tank reinforcements to go after the panzers and, in the case of the T-60s, help my poor infantry. Massive Soviet tank losses, but they did get their licks in. The last turn saw the SS advancing to the last buildings against broken conscripts. My ATR gunner immo'ed 2 Pz 3s, and the SS were down to 2 tanks. The last running Pz4 was armored assaulting when he drove out of the south end of the village. Just enough for the 122mm observer to see him...... Soviet victory by the narrowest of margins. Had the Pz 4 not gotten immo'ed, the SS would have taken the required buildings with ease....

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played AP26 Flea Circus as the attacking Germans. Interesting scenario because the Italians can't fire until fired upon or the Germans move next to them (either of which ends the following restriction) unless they pass a 1PTC. This allows the Germans to take some early risks to try and sneak around them. Unfortunately, my friend set up so that I'd pretty much have to fire at something by the end of my half of the turn in order to keep pressing. And press the Germans must do since they only have six turns to take a five hex building (fuel depot) overlay. My dice were unusually cold the whole game. Still, I managed to get my men into two hexes of the fuel depot at the top of turn five. Then, a series of bad luck ruined any hope for victory. I rolled a 12 on a PBF shot on a building hex I needed so I jumped the squad in CC (melee), both CCs vs the two non motion Italian tanks failed twice, a side shot PSK hit a tank the following turn - dud (and I needed that squad it would have freed from melee!), and then the flukiest result of all. I broke a crummy crew in the building next to a big stack of my guys on the bottom of Italian turn 5. Since the last two turns are night, he didn't have to rout away, thus blocking me from moving to the last hex of the building. With only one turn left and the Italians holding three building hexes (one in melee), I had no chance of taking rest of the building. I wish the dice would have been a bit kinder to me, but I wouldn't say I was diced. Fun scenario.

Last edited:

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played the 3 player version of RPT110 Theirs not to reason why as the Romanians. This was my last chance to play ASL before leaving for an extended work trip and I was looking forward to this game as I always like 3 player scenarios. This one did not disappoint. I think this was one of the wildest and most fun ASL scenario playings I've had ever. Jeff Deyoung had the defending Russians and Scott Ranburger had the Germans. This scenario was absolutely insane. The first roll of the game saw Scott's Stug Malf its MA on a SMOKE attempt. I managed to get one round of Smoke off from the 81 MTR which smokes Jeff's 9-1, and a squad with a MMG in a trench. Scott and I proceed to smash all of Jeff's unit's on the level two hills. The only non-broken units he has are the smoked 9-1 and squad and 2 squads on the reverse slope on Scott's side of the board. We all think this is going to be a blowout. We were wrong! The game went down to the CC phase of the last turn. Scott Managed to pull off a German victory but what a crazy game it was! Jeff was able to roll 6 HOBs for the Russians, including battle hardening the 9-1 leader first to a 9-2 then to a heroic 10-2. The squad with this leader also went fanatic. In one turn, these guys held against 5 Hit/ROF shots with the 81 MTR and 4 ROF shots from an HMG directed by the Romanian 10-2! The more I fired at these guys the better they got! The did destroy their own MMG on a repair attempt and I was finally able to kill them after 3 rounds of CC on turn 5. The first two rounds of CC were a Romanian 8-1 and HS vs. the Heroic 10-2 and fanatic squad! My guys survived long enough for me to get 2 1/2 more squads into the hex and eliminate him on a 2 to 1 -1 roll. Jeff's guys failed to do anything to me. The 300mm NOBA-fearsome looking on paper, didn't accomplish a thing. The Stug was burned by a 2 TK roll from an ATR rear shot. One of Jeff's tanks was knocked out by a 75* HE shot-from the Stug. The other tank was stunned by a LMG TK shot from a Romanian unit and then recalled by a MMG TK shot from 5 hexes away-this after surviving 2 hits from the 75* ART piece and a CH from the MTR that rolled a 12 on effect. Jeff's sniper (SAN 3) killed both German leaders by the second turn and the Romanian 10-2 on the 4th turn! Scott managed to go the entire scenario without a leader after the second turn but he did generate 2 heroes. The Romanian HS manning the HMG did the only logical thing once the 10-2 was killed-they went berserk and even managed to survive the scenario! We had an awesome time and this scenario put the spark back in the game for me which is just what I needed. I'm even contemplating bringing my ASL rulebook and charts with me on my trip and trying to pick up a game or two if I can find some opponents.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Played the 3 player version of RPT110 Theirs not to reason why as the Romanians. This was my last chance to play ASL before leaving for an extended work trip and I was looking forward to this game as I always like 3 player scenarios. This one did not disappoint. I think this was one of the wildest and most fun ASL scenario playings I've had ever. Jeff Deyoung had the defending Russians and Scott Ranburger had the Germans. This scenario was absolutely insane. The first roll of the game saw Scott's Stug Malf its MA on a SMOKE attempt. I managed to get one round of Smoke off from the 81 MTR which smokes Jeff's 9-1, and a squad with a MMG in a trench. Scott and I proceed to smash all of Jeff's unit's on the level two hills. The only non-broken units he has are the smoked 9-1 and squad and 2 squads on the reverse slope on Scott's side of the board. We all think this is going to be a blowout. We were wrong! The game went down to the CC phase of the last turn. Scott Managed to pull off a German victory but what a crazy game it was! Jeff was able to roll 6 HOBs for the Russians, including battle hardening the 9-1 leader first to a 9-2 then to a heroic 10-2. The squad with this leader also went fanatic. In one turn, these guys held against 5 Hit/ROF shots with the 81 MTR and 4 ROF shots from an HMG directed by the Romanian 10-2! The more I fired at these guys the better they got! The did destroy their own MMG on a repair attempt and I was finally able to kill them after 3 rounds of CC on turn 5. The first two rounds of CC were a Romanian 8-1 and HS vs. the Heroic 10-2 and fanatic squad! My guys survived long enough for me to get 2 1/2 more squads into the hex and eliminate him on a 2 to 1 -1 roll. Jeff's guys failed to do anything to me. The 300mm NOBA-fearsome looking on paper, didn't accomplish a thing. The Stug was burned by a 2 TK roll from an ATR rear shot. One of Jeff's tanks was knocked out by a 75* HE shot-from the Stug. The other tank was stunned by a LMG TK shot from a Romanian unit and then recalled by a MMG TK shot from 5 hexes away-this after surviving 2 hits from the 75* ART piece and a CH from the MTR that rolled a 12 on effect. Jeff's sniper (SAN 3) killed both German leaders by the second turn and the Romanian 10-2 on the 4th turn! Scott managed to go the entire scenario without a leader after the second turn but he did generate 2 heroes. The Romanian HS manning the HMG did the only logical thing once the 10-2 was killed-they went berserk and even managed to survive the scenario! We had an awesome time and this scenario put the spark back in the game for me which is just what I needed. I'm even contemplating bringing my ASL rulebook and charts with me on my trip and trying to pick up a game or two if I can find some opponents.
The dice giveth and the dice taketh.....

Great to hear you found ASL mojo back.....it is always the greatest wargame in the world.....

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States

and another addition to my TBP list, it's beginning to look like a short novel

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
Red Valentines SP 140 I have read good reviews of this scenario, and it did not disappoint. Southern Russia, '42. SS force with panzers must take most of the board 48 village from a mixed crew of Soviets. The SS must have at least 2 running panzers at game end. I drew the Ruskies. The SS came through the gap in the AT ditch, with 3 panzers shooting down board 19. I didn't see the sneaky LOS to the AT ditch gap until after the game. But I did cover 19 with the Observer on the smallest hill in the Caucasus. He was able to kill a Pz4, and immo a Pz3. My OBA did not contribute much else to the game, but two tanks was a start. In the village, I got mauled. I used my tank reinforcements to go after the panzers and, in the case of the T-60s, help my poor infantry. Massive Soviet tank losses, but they did get their licks in. The last turn saw the SS advancing to the last buildings against broken conscripts. My ATR gunner immo'ed 2 Pz 3s, and the SS were down to 2 tanks. The last running Pz4 was armored assaulting when he drove out of the south end of the village. Just enough for the 122mm observer to see him...... Soviet victory by the narrowest of margins. Had the Pz 4 not gotten immo'ed, the SS would have taken the required buildings with ease....
to the TBP list

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played an odd scenario ASL 52 Too Little, Too Late. I know I played this before as I played all the Hollow Legion scenarios, but this one did not ring a bell. It's an Italian all vehicle affair vs defending German AT weapons. The Italians have to get seven vehicles across any of the four bridges for an immediate victory. As usual, I was the Germans. They get four roadblocks. Four roadblocks, four bridges, guess where they went? To defend the bridges from west to east, I placed a PSK in a building close to the first bridge, a 75L, 88L, and the last 75L on the remaining bridges behind the roadblocks. The Germans also get 24 concealments with a big SSR on how they are used. The Italians can crash through the roadblocks by making a single dr with varying results. The Italians divided their forces pretty evenly along the west edge. This was a mistake we caught later as they were supposed to enter on only one road. I suppose it helped the Italians as they could go farther than they should have on turn 1. I stunned a couple of foolish crews who stayed CE too long, but turn 1 ended with no casualties. I joked that turn that if my 88 broke on my first shot, I'd quit. It didn't, but of course, it did the very next player turn. Completely shocked, though, as I thought the game was now over, I sucked it up and played on.

The rest of the scenario played poorly for my friend. He pressed two bridges (one being the now infantry only held bridge) and crashed through both roadblocks. But in both cases, the vehicles immobilized on the bridge on top of some of my squads. My dice were hot and both were destroyed with CC Reaction Fire. None of his tanks could find smoke. He pushed a few trucks and AFVs but AT weapons/TPBF/resid smashed the attempts. With nothing going his way and great Intensive Fire/resid/CC/FPF/you name it, shots from me, he called it early.

I think he should have regrouped when the 88 went down and pushed for that bridge only. He lost a tank and two trucks on it and then stopped to concentrate on the PSK bridge. Anyway, a real dicey scenario. Roll bad on the crash tries and things get bottle necked real fast. Roll great, and there's not much the Germans can do to stem the tide once they've exhausted their fire opportunities. I thought it was kind of fun blowing up stuff with my great rolls; my friend, not so much.

Last edited:

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Noticed you're using the BFP counters for the Polish with a higher broken morale for the infantry and increased AF for the FT17s, was this a balance provision between you two?
nope,
just an error apparently. :)

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
... using the BFP counters for the Polish ...
Almost did that awhile back when someone wanted to use BFPs counters for a MMP scenario.

Is there a justification for the Poles having higher broken-side morale than other Allied Minors? I know the Poles fought valiantly but more so than, say, the Greeks? I also know nationality differences are exaggerated in ASL but that's part of the fun. I wonder if it's a little grudgy to bump up the Poles' broken side morale.

buser333

Reaction score
Almost did that awhile back when someone wanted to use BFPs counters for a MMP scenario.

Is there a justification for the Poles having higher broken-side morale than other Allied Minors? I know the Poles fought valiantly but more so than, say, the Greeks? I also know nationality differences are exaggerated in ASL but that's part of the fun. I wonder if it's a little grudgy to bump up the Poles' broken side morale.
Probably best to post in the BFP folder if you want an answer from the horse's mouth. I know they check in there periodically.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

I love the BFP but that is a bit of a pet peeve that I have developed. I can see some SSR changes in scenarios from time to time but the whole of ASL is design for effect and national capabilities/characteristics are a nice part of that. Even the Italians are getting in on it now

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I wish I had paid more attention in our scenario. And I am on the side of playing the nationalities as ASL was designed for.

I'm sure BFP scenarios are designed to be played with their counters, so I will do so when I play their stuff.