More "real" SMC names please

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Plus, I play on VASL a lot, where there are no personalized leaders, so I never really give it much thought to be honest.
In VASL you do have the option to "Name" counters. Have a look at the context menu of leader counters.
I always give VASL-leaders names because I like the little extra tidbid of "story" that it might create throughout a scenario.

von Marwitz

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let's just dispense with this debate. I hereby decree that henceforth and forever more that all SMC names will be named 'Sheppard' regardless of rank, nationality, or product.

I will utilize my infinitesimal power over MMP and the TPPs to make it so.
Will to try and comply with your decree. I will endeavor to try and comply, best I can, but add a sort of rank like structure to the essence of what your name is about, you know down to brass tacks...

So "Guard of Sheep" then the higher rank of "Warden of Sheep" and so to "Keeper of Sheep" and then very in vogue Marvel Comic "Guardian of Sheep." All of course in the appropriate languages, the Chinese pictorial is a good one. ;)

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let's just dispense with this debate. I hereby decree that henceforth and forever more that all SMC names will be named 'Sheppard' regardless of rank, nationality, or product.

I will utilize my infinitesimal power over MMP and the TPPs to make it so.
I call all of my leaders some version of 'Shepherd', especially when they do stupid things like break and cause a platoon of their men to crumble.
My versions of 'Shepherd' sound a bit like $#%# and (##$(%...you get the idea.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can actually read the names? The font is too small for me, so it's a bit of a moot issue. Plus, I play on VASL a lot, where there are no personalized leaders, so I never really give it much thought to be honest.
I have to say, it’s getting harder and harder for me too.... it might be time for some readers!

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
In VASL you do have the option to "Name" counters. Have a look at the context menu of leader counters.
I always give VASL-leaders names because I like the little extra tidbid of "story" that it might create throughout a scenario.

von Marwitz
I'll be damned, you're right! I just looked and see how it can be done. Did not know this.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
How about Lieutenant Germanicus? Captain Hasdrubal? Sergeant Major? Those are pretty real names.

JR

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I have rarely named a leader in VASL. I occasionally find it amusing to look at the names of the cardboard leaders that I have pulled for a game.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In VASL, I name my AFVs and their matching acquisition counters. It makes them easier to reference. Adds to the narrative. Yes, I almost always use authentic names...
Steve

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, since Critical Hit already gave us these real SMC named SMCs, then I guess it seems only logical that we can have all the others.

Personally, one should likely draw the line somewhere. I am not certain these two belong in a game with the scope of design that ASL has. Even with their associated SSRs they came with, it seems a bit lame, and is just as easily abstracted (as they were included only for perhaps sudden victory conditions in a HASL CG setting), to have a single SSR in that setting that read: "Russians win immediately, if at the end of any player turn, they have a Good Order MMC IN the FuhrerBunker Location."

but I guess there are collectors out there in Critical Hit-land who would have howled without these two being present in Berlin in a HASL CG setting. (not sure who, but perhaps one or two do exist).

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have rarely named a leader in VASL. I occasionally find it amusing to look at the names of the cardboard leaders that I have pulled for a game.
Chris and I always have a CK leader in the German OB in our VASL games, in honour of our fallen friend Christian Koppmeyer. We enjoy having him with us.

Sometimes he dies. So will we one day.

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well, I may be an ASL newbie, and I respect the opinions of the more senior gamers, but as a longtime student of military history, I am not concerned about what names are used for core modules. But if companies are going to market HASLs as "historical" and are going to take the time and effort to research the units and AFVs used, I think they should be using names of officers and NCOs that fought there. And use those at the tactical level too. SMC counters like Walter Harzer did not fight house to house...although LCol Johnny Frost sure did. As a serving soldier, I think we owe those that bled for us that much.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I may be an ASL newbie, and I respect the opinions of the more senior gamers, but as a longtime student of military history, I am not concerned about what names are used for core modules. But if companies are going to market HASLs as "historical" and are going to take the time and effort to research the units and AFVs used, I think they should be using names of officers and NCOs that fought there. And use those at the tactical level too. SMC counters like Walter Harzer did not fight house to house...although LCol Johnny Frost sure did. As a serving soldier, I think we owe those that bled for us that much.
There are, as I recall, a fair number of historical leader names in HASLs. There also are nods to the guys who helped the game see the light of day. No problem with it at all.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So have names for some SMC nationalities and not others?