More "real" SMC names please

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
MMP likes to reward their friends with names of SMC counters. That's okay but the production schedule of modules is so that it does not allow a good match between names and nationalities. This is hard to avoid but i agree it is mildly annoying, especially for a company supporting the WWII foundation.

I solve the issue by sending counters to the bin where the mismatch is egregious. Some nationalities have too many leaders anyway.

The only time MMP cared was when they did not name the black SMC. I am sure though we could have found suitable nominees for that set lol.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are hundreds of thousands of Americans with Slavic surnames...we are a nation of immigrants and descendants of immigrants.
I believe the objection is to morphing non Slavic names into another ethnicity’s typical surname.
If so, get your facts in line before slinging mud.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Ah, and then there is the US 9-1 Lt Booze. I try to pull him for use everytime I need an US 9-1.... although I'm not sure of it is correct politically or otherwise...

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah, and then there is the US 9-1 Lt Booze. I try to pull him for use everytime I need an US 9-1.... although I'm not sure of it is correct politically or otherwise...
The surname “Booze” is an actual surname.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
As silly as Connerski sounds, still better than the system they used for naming the counters in SPI's City Fight....
Well, Games Workshop for its Warhammer RPG in the famed "The Enemy Within" campaign names the master-demon "Zahnarzt". Which means "dentist" in German. It seems to have that harsh ring to it that some Americans and Brits are fond of - just as in "von Marwitz".

You are lucky, though, that I am no demon lord. Otherwise you'd all be chained to some dungeon walls. Or have a 9-2 leader named after you of Liechtenstein nationality - and bound to suffer waiting for a scenario design featuring him for eternity...

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
All you gotta do is order your own leader mix from Critical miss, RT will make you famous in every nationality on a single countersheet, dontcha know"?
But renowned as CH is for its proofreading excellence, the risk is that you get your personal leader counters with a typo in it...

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I think you missed my attempt at humor...I was picking up on your " the risk is that you get your personal leader counters with a typo in it..."
Humour is a rare commodity.
But Germans are not the only ones to miss out on it...

You forgot the old feud among Oberst von Marwitz and that upstart Major von Schoff dating back to the days at the Kriegsschule in Dresden? ?

von Marwitz

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
C'mon! The only counter worth using and relishing in is the German Mudge 7-0!!! I use him every chance I get, he's running around the North section of the RO map as we type!
Love to say "Pete's gonna go over here"

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
But Germans are not the only ones to miss out on it...

You forgot the old feud among Oberst von Marwitz and that upstart Major von Schoff dating back to the days at the Kriegsschule in Dresden? ?

von Marwitz
Last time i met von Schoff was at Biaritz, Herr Oberst. He was very drunk and showing off his polished EK I... Just saying...

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recall Nixoniev being a “tricky” ASL player :)

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
You can actually read the names? The font is too small for me, so it's a bit of a moot issue. Plus, I play on VASL a lot, where there are no personalized leaders, so I never really give it much thought to be honest.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let's just dispense with this debate. I hereby decree that henceforth and forever more that all SMC names will be named 'Sheppard' regardless of rank, nationality, or product.

I will utilize my infinitesimal power over MMP and the TPPs to make it so.