Pinned OBA Observer Question

TMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have an OBA observer who just got pinned during my opponents prep fire. My FFE:2 is onboard and my defensive fire phase comes around.

Since the observer is pinned, he is still "good order". (Am I correct?)

I've looked and looked but can't find what affect his being pinned has on his roll to maintain contact with the battery. Am I just missing it? Or is there no modifier to his contact DR for being pinned?

seagles

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I don't think pinning has any affect on a GO leader's ability to operate a radio. Hence, your inability to find it :D

S.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The rule requires a good order leader. If the leader is good order (and pinned is still GO), then he can use the radio. No halving, no penalty, just roll 'em.

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just learned that an Offboard observer is not in Good Order - as he is not a Personnel unit - for purposes of OBA actions.
This pertains to some points in rule C1.6

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just learned that an Offboard observer is not in Good Order - as he is not a Personnel unit - for purposes of OBA actions.
This pertains to some points in rule C1.6
Probably a hole in the rules but as you noted they must be in counter form to be a Personnel Unit and in Good Order. Quite a catch!?

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So I'm assuming off board observers can still use a radio/phone because they are something special, usually by SSR?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
So I'm assuming off board observers can still use a radio/phone because they are something special, usually by SSR?
For off board observers radio contact and maintenance is automatic [C1.63].

JR

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Remember, field phones and their SMC get free HIP.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I don't think an offboard observer uses either a radio or field phone as they take counter from and he does not.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
I use my dog as offboard observer.. if anything goes bad I call for OBA and he immediately sends a full FFE wherever is needed.. or wherever he thinks is needed.. opponent concedes usually after the attack. ?

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The observer is the only unit who’s moral is not lowered for his own friendly FFE.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
IIRC, a Berserk unit does not care either - NRBH though.
And neither do heroic units.

And the OBA has to be accurate for the friendly observer to be unaffected [C1.54]. Sounds like we need new counters: (in)accurate SR, (in)accurate FFE:1, (in)accurate FFE:2 & (in)accurate FFE:C. Or maybe a single counter with "accurate/inaccurate". That raises a question: if a SR is placed but is inaccurate, and the SR is later converted to an FFE in place, is the FFE considered accurate or inaccurate?

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only real additional penalty I see is if the only enemy unit next to the AR is concealed and in non-concealment terrain an Offboard Observer may have to make an extra chit draw for Battery Access (C1.21), not be able to convert an SR to an FFE1 (C1.333) and may have to correct/cancel the SR/FFE (C1.334-.335) whereas if he were a normal observer he would not have to.