After a game, what factors do you consider important when deciding whether a scenario's fun?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Opponents makes a scenario fun, I get that. Let's put that aside for a second.

Here are some "others" for me :
  • AFVs / Weapons I get to play with
  • Uncommon VC conditions.
  • Creative opening setup
  • Scenario length
  • "New" rules in play
  • A mapboard/map I haven't played on too much
What else?

Rgds Jack

Jacksons

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some items that make it fun for me:
A balanced scenario with chances for both sides
Both sides get to either attack or counterattack
There are sweeping movements across large areas versus in one small area
Both sides have multiple choices for attack and defense strategies such that it increases replayability(you are left wondering if I tried a different strategy would it have worked better?)
Fighting withdrawals
Imbalances in Order of battles(example quantity vs quality, Firepower vs stealth, Short range vs long range FP, etc)
Multiple choice in VC ie take control of Locations and or CVP or exit VP, CVP caps
Interesting terrain ie not just desert boards, there is cover to maneuver in or around

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the things that makes a scenario fun for me is when my opponent does something I totally did not expect. I don't know how much of this is under the control of the scenario designer, and how much is a function of my opponents' cleverness and/or my own ignorance.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
One of the things that makes a scenario fun for me is when my opponent does something I totally did not expect. I don't know how much of this is under the control of the scenario designer, and how much is a function of my opponents' cleverness and/or my own ignorance.
In my opinion those opportunities are primarily derived from two items from Jacksons' list:
Both sides have multiple choices for attack and defense strategies such that it increases replayability(you are left wondering if I tried a different strategy would it have worked better?)

Multiple choice in VC ie take control of Locations and or CVP or exit VP, CVP caps

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Mmmm - tough question.

The scenario has to have been balanced. For it to be fun both sides have to have had a chance to win.

The defender should not just have to sit there and wait. He should have reinforcements or something to keep him entertained other than watching to see if the attacker makes a mistake when he moves. A chance for the defender to attack is always fun.

Having the opportunity to fool your opponent by some sort of fog of war. HIP units, concealed units, dummies............

I do not like scenarios that have solely exit VP conditions. It feels wrong not having to take and control something or destroy the enemy..........is that me being weird?

Jacksons

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it would be helpful to designers if respondents noted an example for each listed factor if possible.
From Memory :

quantity vs quality Hill 621
Different Strategies : Amerikana Sukha, Kleckerwise, Anatoly's ambush,
Sweeping movements and different path to VC : Apples To apples
Both sides attack/counterattack: Brandenburgers bridge
Fighting withdrawal: Fighting withdrawal
Balanced; see Roar

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From Memory :

quantity vs quality Hill 621
Different Strategies : Amerikana Sukha, Kleckerwise, Anatoly's ambush,
Sweeping movements and different path to VC : Apples To apples
Both sides attack/counterattack: Brandenburgers bridge
Fighting withdrawal: Fighting withdrawal
Balanced; see Roar
Mind freak out: To Ashes

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Probably strange to say and certainly no help to scenario designers, but win or lose, I get a certain satisfaction out of having done well in grokking the scenario beforehand.
That is a skill that I unfortunately don't have - and that good players have.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Are we discussing the experience of the scenario, or the design of the scenario itself?

If the former, I consider the following things as a gauge of "fun":

• How many rule look ups did I have to make, particularly for stuff I've never done
  • How complicated were the SSRs
  • How much math did I have to do
  • How much stuff did I have to keep track of separately (CVP, HIP, OBA, etc.)
  • How close was the game at the end (someone noted last CCPh CC for the win - sort of like the walk-off field goal)
  • How many set up locations, reinforcement arrivals, SSR, or VC did we end up forgetting or implementing incorrectly?
Basically if I have to wrestle to either understand how to properly play the scenario per the designer's intent, or have to pick through lots of complicated parameters to figure out the best way to win, it is going to diminish my enjoyment.