Creeping Barrage Question

Yockbo

Recruit
Reaction score
We are playing HS26 “Got Milkâ€, which has a creeping barrage (E12.7) in it. Do to extent of error I had to Lift the Barrage. I want to know if my interpretation of the relevant rules was right.

Here’s what happened. The Barrage came in on time (Black Card), but was not accurate (dr > 4) and drifted three hexes (Extent of error is halved) off of the line (Creeping Barrage Hex grain) in the First PFPh. During the next DFPh, I had to lift the Barrage because I am unable to reach the Creeping Barrage Hex grain, and thus had to lift it.

Here’s the relevant part of E12.74…
“Each Correction of a Creeping Barrage FFE counter is of two hexes, and must be attempted to (i.e. the [as perC1.4] must be placed in) a hex in the Creeping Barrage Hex Grain that is closer (in hexes) to the Aiming Hex than the FFE counter’s present hex. If this cannot be done, then the Creeping Barrage must Lift (12.76). Each Correction is subject to a normal accuracy dr, and if inaccurate is also subject to a direction of error and a subsequent error of one hex. “

Thus my thinking was that since I was unable to correct the AR to a hex in the Creeping Barrage Hex Grain, I had to lift it.

Yockbo

Recruit
Reaction score
Yockbo said:
We are playing HS26 “Got Milkâ€, which has a creeping barrage (E12.7) in it. Do to extent of error I had to Lift the Barrage. I want to know if my interpretation of the relevant rules was right.

Here’s what happened. The Barrage came in on time (Black Card), but was not accurate (dr > 4) and drifted three hexes (Extent of error is halved) off of the line (Creeping Barrage Hex grain) in the First PFPh. During the next DFPh, I had to lift the Barrage because I am unable to reach the Creeping Barrage Hex grain, and thus had to lift it.

Here’s the relevant part of E12.74…
“Each Correction of a Creeping Barrage FFE counter is of two hexes, and must be attempted to (i.e. the [as perC1.4] must be placed in) a hex in the Creeping Barrage Hex Grain that is closer (in hexes) to the Aiming Hex than the FFE counter’s present hex. If this cannot be done, then the Creeping Barrage must Lift (12.76). Each Correction is subject to a normal accuracy dr, and if inaccurate is also subject to a direction of error and a subsequent error of one hex. “

Thus my thinking was that since I was unable to correct the AR to a hex in the Creeping Barrage Hex Grain, I had to lift it.
Solved this one, see E12.732 ... tells us that if the AR lands off the initial Hex grain, the one it lands in becomes the new one. (Thanks Jeffe)

Victor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the first error recalculates the starting and aiming hexes and in subsequent barrage corrections the extent of error can only be 1 hex, when would you ever be required to lift the barrage due to extent of error? What am I missing here?

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
12.74 CORRECTING: Each Correction of a Creeping Barrage FFE counter is of two hexes, and must be attempted to (i.e., the AR [as per C1.4] must be placed in) a hex in the Creeping Barrage Hex Grain that is closer (in hexes) to the Aiming Hex than the FFE counter's present hex. If this cannot be done, then the Creeping Barrage must Lift (12.76). Each Correction is subject to a normal accuracy dr, and if inaccurate is also subject to a direction of error dr and a subsequent error of one hex.​

Because of the hex grid geometry, your error of 1 hex, coupled with "must be closer to the target hex" means that until you go past the target hex, there will be no automatic lift until you get close to the final hex. (Or run out of pre-planned turns of fire...)

Even if you are constantly falling back 1 hex from the AR, your next AR will be two hexes farther along from the last correction's final resting place. For simplicities sake, assume G5-G10 are your line of advance. If the FFE is in G5 right now, the AR goes in G7. Deviates back to G6. The next AR will be in G8, deviates back to G7... etc.

Even if the location is farther back in the line, say F# or H# (not sure which # it would be). The next AR has to be 2 hexes away from the current FFE location. Mostly this means that worst case you will either come out short, only getting so many turns and not covering the ground you wanted; or it will go long and cover the ground too fast. On average, it will be short or long the same chance each time...

If you get to the end of the aiming line, and the final hex is only one hex away from the FFE's current location, you can't put the AR two hexes away...

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Two questions regarding the mechanics of a creeping barrage in terms of placement of the AR.
It would seem the barrage just keeps rolling, not subject to "normal" issues one deals with in placing an AR.
Specifically, when conducting a barrage correction do these rules apply?

C1.21 (except for the first card draw) - will Battery Access have to be gained again (an extra card draw) if the AR is being placed in a location not known to the observer? (My scenario does not specify an offboard observer in the SSR, this seems implied). My scenario is taking place in bocage terrain with lots of orchards. There is little LOS and lots of concealed units.

C1.3 Artillery Request - as mentioned above, do I have to worry about correcting the SR into location not in my observers' LOS.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Two questions regarding the mechanics of a creeping barrage in terms of placement of the AR.
It would seem the barrage just keeps rolling, not subject to "normal" issues one deals with in placing an AR.
Specifically, when conducting a barrage correction do these rules apply?

C1.21 (except for the first card draw) - will Battery Access have to be gained again (an extra card draw) if the AR is being placed in a location not known to the observer? (My scenario does not specify an offboard observer in the SSR, this seems implied). My scenario is taking place in bocage terrain with lots of orchards. There is little LOS and lots of concealed units.

C1.3 Artillery Request - as mentioned above, do I have to worry about correcting the SR into location not in my observers' LOS.
E12.77 "The use of an Observer is not allowed with a Creeping Barrage. … Battery Access draws are not made for a Creeping Barrage"

The last sentence seems to refer to "standard" battery access draws. There is a special timing draw that is made per E12.72.

JR