Surely dumb question about VBM

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
D2.31 says "..VBM is not allowed along a hexside already containing another Bypass vehicle/wreck along that hexside.."

Is this limit applied to either side of the hexside -similar to hexsides in wire hexes per inf bypass- or only to the exact hex and hexside being occupied by the other vehicle/wreck?.

Thanks

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
D2.31 says "..VBM is not allowed along a hexside already containing another Bypass vehicle/wreck along that hexside.."

Is this limit applied to either side of the hexside -similar to hexsides in wire hexes per inf bypass- or only to the exact hex and hexside being occupied by the other vehicle/wreck?.

Thanks
So, if one looks in the compiled Q&A:
D2.31
D2.31 says : “... VBM is not allowed along a hexside already containing another Bypass vehicle/wreck along that hexside.” Can a
vehicle bypass a hexside, one of the vertices of which belongs to another hexside which contains another Bypass vehicle/wreck?
A. Yes.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
I think this Q&A is refering to another hexside of the same hex with a connecting vértice.. IMO because ASLRB says a hexside is formed by the hexside and the two vertices. So the question about if an occupied vertice is enough to limit VBM in this hexside.
I´m trying to refer to the hex not occupied by the vehicle/wreck at the other side of the bypassed hexside.
Sorry about my english..

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think this Q&A is refering to another hexside of the same hex with a connecting vértice.. IMO because ASLRB says a hexside is formed by the hexside and the two vertices. So the question about if an occupied vertice is enough to limit VBM in this hexside.
I´m trying to refer to the hex not occupied by the vehicle/wreck at the other side of the bypassed hexside.
Sorry about my english..
No rule book handy but I think you are right about the Q&A pertaining to a connecting hexside vertex.

I seem to recall the hexside bypass blockage you are asking about is clearly blocked for both sides of the hexside but cant provide a rules citation at the moment.

Last edited:

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
The fact that a vehicle on one side a wall will stop VBM one the other side of the wall is called out as counter-intuitive at http://www.ths85.net/zekesaslparadise/asl-physics.html so I would gather from that and the rule that a wreck in either hex along that hexside stops VBM.

Sometimes, no amount of VBM clearance is enough. VBM is prohibited along a hex/hexside if there is a vehicle (or wreck) in the adjacent hex in Bypass along that same hexside [D2.31]. Even if it is a wall hexside, with ample Bypass clearance in each hex [EX: the 10X6/Y7 hexside].

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The rule speaks of a hexside and not of one of the hexes that it belongs to.
So I think that it applies to a vehicle bypassing an obstacle in one or the other hex sharing the hexside.

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I seem to recall the hexside bypass blockage you are asking about is clearly BLOCKED for both sides of the hexside but cant provide a rules citation at the moment.
Sorry about my English! I somehow left out the most important word ('blocked') in my earlier post.

I remember that bypass wrecks/vehicles block the hexside as one of the few EXCs to the general principle that vbm occurs on one side of the hexside or the other.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
VBM is a weird concept throughout the rules. Sometimes you are actually IN one hex but not the other adjacent hex and not traveling along the hexside but in other instances [EX: B25.6 Spreading Fire] you are assumed to be "straddling" the hexside. If I had to guess I believe this conundrum came about because of several people writing the rules and having differing views of the principals of VBM {SWAG only}, hence we are left with some seemingly conflicting views of the effects of bypass.:unsure::)

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden

Yes - see the D2.3 example, 2nd paragraph:
"If a vehicle were Bypassing the woods in J10 along the J10-I10 hexside (assuming there was room enough), another vehicle in I10 could not Bypass the building along the I10-J10 hexside."

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
Yes - see the D2.3 example, 2nd paragraph:
"If a vehicle were Bypassing the woods in J10 along the J10-I10 hexside (assuming there was room enough), another vehicle in I10 could not Bypass the building along the I10-J10 hexside."
"Read carefully the EX! read carefully the EX!! read carefully the EX!!!..." :rolleyes: