AFV - Loading / Unloading Riders

MagpieMartin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Situation : Hellcat M18 GMC stopped, and a 666 squad in the same hex. I want to load the squad move 4 hexes, stop M18, and debark squad into same hex.
Are the following costs correct?
Movement Phase : M18 has 24MP :
  1. Squad uses 1MF to embark on top of M18 - this immediately uses 1/4 (FRU) of the M18's MP - it has 18MPs remaining
  2. M18 spends 1MP to start up - 17MPs left
  3. M18 moves 4 hexes spending 4MPs - 13MPs left
  4. M18 spends 1MP to Stop - 12MPs left
  5. To disembark its Riders, the M18 must spend 1/4 of its MP allotment per disembarking stack - so spends 6MP to disembark the 666 squad into same hex - 6MPs left
Quoting part of D6.5 -----
"Disembarking Personnel must expend one MF to be placed beneath the vehicle and are additionally considered to have already expended one MF for every one-fourth of the MP allotment (FRU) used by the vehicle during that turn prior to unloading. Since ESB (2.5) does not grant any additional MF, Passengers/Riders may not unload after a vehicle has spent > than 3⁄4 of its printed MP allotment........"

So, as the M18 has now spent 3/4 of its printed MP allotment, the 666 is considered to have spent 3MF whilst being transported.
So, the squad has now spent 4MF in total.

And, am I correct in thinking that the remaining 6MPs still left to the M18, now stopped, are considered DELAY points?

Additional question : Can that same squad, having disembarked, declare CX to move into an adjacent 1MF-cost hex?

Many thanks in advance :)
Martin

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
So, as the M18 has now spent 3/4 of its printed MP allotment, the 666 is considered to have spent 3MF whilst being transported.
So, the squad has now spent 4MF in total.
I don't think the rule is phrased in the best way for situations where the unit both mounts and dismounts in the same turn. The squad spent one MF to load (six MP for the vehicle), one MF for time aboard moving (six MP for the vehicle), and one MF to unload (six MP for the vehicle). It should have one MF available to move after unloading, and the vehicle should have six MP.

JR

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You get 4mf if you are an infantry counter. This cannot be increased by double time. No unloading and going CX.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You get 4mf if you are an infantry counter. This cannot be increased by double time. No unloading and going CX.
A unit that mounts onto/dismounts from a conveyance has four MF, which cannot be increased (and is not decreased for inexperienced, wounded, etc) [A4.11].

JR

MagpieMartin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Thanks guys, seems like I got it mostly correct - that RB section is somewhat convoluted, at least for me !

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As a last note, the vehicle can have its six MP spent in any fashion. Delay is one option, but it could also move on. This is in contrast to armored assault, where the vehicle can move no farther than the infantry.

JR

MagpieMartin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Thanks again JR - most useful. Once you have it down, it always seems so clear and obvious ......... once you have it down !

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Thanks again JR - most useful. Once you have it down, it always seems so clear and obvious ......... once you have it down !
It's good to be cautious of "obvious" results. Here it worked out, but in other places it doesn't go quite so smoothly. For instance I mentioned armored assault. In armored assault there is no attempt at coordinating the MF & MP expenditures. In your example assume the units started on a road, but instead of loading the squad and M24 GMC moved as a stack using armored assault. One MP, zero MF: the tank starts; one & one-half MP and one MF: move one hex; (skipping some hexes) three & one-half MP and five MF, enter the fifth road hex. The infantry can't move any farther (ignoring late double-time) as it used all its MF allotment plus the road bonus, while the M24 still has twenty & one-half MP left. Because the M24 moved using armored assault it can't move out of the hex, but it can spend those MP in other ways. It might stop, for instance or use vehicular SMOKE or change VCA (alot) or stop and unload riders. In the case of armored assault the rules make no attempt to coordinate the MP and MF spent. I think they probably thought it too fiddly to get right and not worth the effort as long as the vehicle was prevented from moving farther.

JR