The new BG counters

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi,

Surely there is a simple way to add these to a VASL mod file. One does not have to scan and edit nationality data etc ??

Anyone?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I will get on to this, with Alan's permission of course, once I've finished the vehicle notes.
I don't think it is that "simple". Each graphic will have to be resized, changed to gif format and correctly named so it does not interfere with existing counters.
While I don't expect it to be difficult, it will be quite time consuming.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I don't think it is that "simple". Each graphic will have to be resized, changed to gif format and correctly named so it does not interfere with existing counters.
While I don't expect it to be difficult, it will be quite time consuming.
You may want to look at a program called imagemagick (https://imagemagick.org). It is a command line program for doing image manipulation. I use it all the time to crop and convert scans I make. It should be able to resize images & convert them to gif. It will require learning a bit to set up the right command parameters, but once done you should be able to convert any number of images with nearly no effort.

JR

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You may want to look at a program called imagemagick (https://imagemagick.org). It is a command line program for doing image manipulation. I use it all the time to crop and convert scans I make. It should be able to resize images & convert them to gif. It will require learning a bit to set up the right command parameters, but once done you should be able to convert any number of images with nearly no effort.

JR
I use Photoshop elements. It has batch conversion but after doing so I still need to rename them and check they are correct. Also, I've never created a vasl extentions before...

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Assuming your counters look good at VASL dimensions, I would suggest you not do an extension (at least not as a first pass) and just replace the images in-place inside the VASL.vmod.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Assuming your counters look good at VASL dimensions, I would suggest you not do an extension (at least not as a first pass) and just replace the images in-place inside the VASL.vmod.
No idea how they will look to be honest, what are the dimensions of a VASL counter?
I'd propose just doing the new vehicles anyway.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 9364View attachment 9366

Quick and dirty comparison. Alan's on the left, VASL on the right. I think the VASL images are just fine as they are.
Open the VASL.vmod as a zip, replace the existing image and I believe you will see the new image will automagically be used. Let me know if I'm wrong though because I believe it is that straightforward to swap out image resources and have them be retroactively applied.

Personally I find them a bit hazy but I'm a big supporter of alternate skins for VASL counters so just trying to move things along. :)

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
View attachment 9364View attachment 9366

Quick and dirty comparison. Alan's on the left, VASL on the right. I think the VASL images are just fine as they are.
If you use something like Paint Shop Pro , (many others) there is a command in 3D called borders or some such.

What it does is "round" the counter and makes it look like normal VASL. Once u get the right dimension for the 3D effect
you may add a bit of shading ( at the same time).

I did this a long time ago for infantry counters in VASL 3 and it was very effective.

You then just do it by rote.. ( which after a while will make your head spin).

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This would be a huge project but here's some thoughts...

In its present iteration, VASL supports PNG format for counters; no need to convert to GIF. As a side note, in a future iteration VASL will support PNG format for boards.

At 60x60 or 48x48 my opinion is you must customize counter symbols and text to create a clear looking VASL counter. Downsizing counter images alone doesn't look good. Again, that's my opinion. The differences in readability between the example counters a few posts up is a good example.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Creating VASL-anything is neither simple nor easy. It's tedious & repetitive, and that's only if you know what you are doing.

PS People like @BigAl737 @Sully are ROCKSTARs, I dun care what anyone says

Hi,

Surely there is a simple way to add these to a VASL mod file. One does not have to scan and edit nationality data etc ??

Anyone?

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Adio's we agree you don't participate in anything I write and visa versa.

Thank you//