Russian Vehicle Note J

Juzek

Steve Kyle
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"This AFV may possibly carry smoke dischargers (sD) ... " Does "possibly" mean that sD availability has to be specified in an SSR?

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Well, it may possibly carry one - and it does if the counter says so. No SSR is required - unless the intention is to change this, such as making its use easier or more difficult (or removing the smoke dispenser altogether), I'd say.

Edit: oops, you were referring to Russian Vehicle Note J. This one seems very clear: the sD is present, but may be used only once per scenario. Not 100% sure whether "used" here means successfully fired, or just one attempt.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
"This AFV may possibly carry smoke dischargers (sD) ... " Does "possibly" mean that sD availability has to be specified in an SSR?
"Possibly" refers to the single-attempt nature of the Soviet sD. You can try once. If you succeed the vehicle actually carried smoke dischargers, but you can never try again with that vehicle. If you fail the vehicle did not carry any smoke dischargers and you can never try again.

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
My bad. Then what does the "possibly" mean?

JR
It carries a smoke dispenser with a probability that depends on the number of turns in which you try to use it. If you reach the end of the scenario and have not managed to use it effectively, then it means the AFV did not, in fact, carry one (and the crew are just dumb for repeatedly trying to fire an imaginary dispenser).

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It carries a smoke dispenser with a probability that depends on the number of turns in which you try to use it. If you reach the end of the scenario and have not managed to use it effectively, then it means the AFV did not, in fact, carry one (and the crew are just dumb for repeatedly trying to fire an imaginary dispenser).
The same could apply to non-Soviet sD (they could not fire the entire game), yet they do not "possibly" have sD.

JR

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I suppose the "possibly" refers to the single use. But it would still make more sense if the restriction was on a single fire attempt, not just a single effective use. Single effective use looks like "may possibly carry rounds for their sD".

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I think that "possibly" is more a fluff text than the core of the rule.

The problem is with the notion of "usable".
But rule D13 has some occurrences of words of the same stem as "usable" :
  • D13.2 USAGE
  • D13.3 FIRING: When a player wishes his AFV to attempt smoke dispenser use he makes a DR (Δ). If that Final DR is ≤ its Usage Number, it has fired ...
In that case, "use" is parallel with " it has fired and a smoke counter is placed" (which is the positive result of the "attempt" to use the sD).
The Russian note J exception "[EXC: they are usable only once per scenario]" carries the meaning : [EXC: they can be fired only once per scenario]

That is how I would solve the wording problem...

Juzek

Steve Kyle
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This thread: http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/russian-vehicle-note-j.127255/
references a Q&A that says it can be "fired" once - i.e., one can try until successful.
Trying to be a good list citizen I searched for "Russian vehicle note J" before posting but this particular thread did not show up, . Is there some special secret spell I need to cast? The referenced thread is over 3 years old so maybe it was lost in one of the Forum reboots.