Published in English for the first time - Stalingrad by Vasily Grossman review – one of the great novels of the 20th century.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I read Life and Destiny from the same author a long time ago and had the impression at the time that i could pinpoint on the RB map where some actions described in the book had taken place.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just to make sure, because you never know, that was my attempt at humour :)
Don't know how to break it to you but Red Factories is a serious game. I tried taking it down to my local open mic night but it just got booed off stage. I was surprised since "Into the Rubble" had been such a big hit there!:)

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
This is great news. I read Life and Fate (nyrb) about 10 years ago (somewhere on Gamesquad are my thoughts about it). And while its epic sweep moves well beyond the city, its focal point is the time we spend in Stalingrad - between the scenarios and the CGs - crawling through the cellars, the debris and rubble, scrounging for a morsel at the bottom of some discarded tin.

I always wondered why the sequel Stalingrad was necessary. I guess I won't have to wonder much longer! Thanks.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Picked up a copy today. It's a brick of a book (over 1000 pages).
I bought Life and Fate based on this thread (thanks Joe). Never heard of this author or the book before. Think I'll enjoy.

That's also a brick...and I opened it thinking "perhaps the print is large"...nope...it's tiny :D

Thomas Marshall

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I always wondered why the sequel Stalingrad was necessary. I guess I won't have to wonder much longer! Thanks.
Life and Fate is the sequel. Grossman published the first version of Stalingrad in 1952, and it was reissued in a slightly revised version in 1956, after Stalin had died. His manuscript of Life and Fate was "arrested" by the KGB in 1960, and was of course eventually published after Grossman's death.