Raaco Insert 3D printed

Jacksons

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Attached is a Raaco insert for 1/2" counters similar to the one Steve Dennis made for 5/8" counters.
I printed a number of the Raaco inserts from the design that Steve Dennis made for all of my vehicles.
I tried using the same design for some 1/2" info counters but they slipped around too much in the insert.

Attached is an image of a modification to the design for 1/2" counters with a higher packing density (7x5 array vs 4x6 array).
All of the major Tank 1/2" info counters fit in 1 insert.

I plan on using this design for some of the information counters for infantry next.

Rodney Callen had an idea for a double wide insert but I have not come up with a design that will increase the packing density further for that idea yet.
Maybe there is some insert design that has a custom mix of 5/8" and 1/2" in the same insert? Any ideas?

Stan

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Attached is a Raaco insert for 1/2" counters similar to the one Steve Dennis made for 5/8" counters.
I printed a number of the Raaco inserts from the design that Steve Dennis made for all of my vehicles.
I tried using the same design for some 1/2" info counters but they slipped around too much in the insert.

Attached is an image of a modification to the design for 1/2" counters with a higher packing density (7x5 array vs 4x6 array).

I plan on using this design for some of the information counters for infantry next.

Rodney Callen had an idea for a double wide insert but I have not come up with a design that will increase the packing density further for that idea yet.
Maybe there is some insert design that has a custom mix of 5/8" and 1/2" in the same insert? Any ideas?
View attachment 8940

Stan
My idea is Pez

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A Pez dispenser, that dispenses counters like they were Pez kinda thing. Pushes the counters up and then they get loaded back like bullets in a magazine.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany

View attachment 8940

Stan
How many counters can be stacked per slot, I might be interested in a couple of hundred.

Jacksons

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How many counters can be stacked per slot, I might be interested in a couple of hundred.
It is the standard outside dimensions of the raaco insert 22 mm. I have not checked but maybe 10-12 counters.

I am not interested in making a mold to make them. But I can post a .stl file after my cad man comes back from vacation. You can then get them printed , but I make no guarantees of the design so you can evaluate functionality for your self.
Similar to the original Steve Dennis design there are no knobs on the bottom of the insert.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Why not make a 4X4 tray or even a 4X8 tray for all of your system counters similar to what James Taylor has for his? If you're printing and already considering a double-wide, you're only real limitation is the inner dimension of the box. -- jim

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
It is the standard outside dimensions of the raaco insert 22 mm. I have not checked but maybe 10-12 counters.

I am not interested in making a mold to make them. But I can post a .stl file after my cad man comes back from vacation. You can then get them printed , but I make no guarantees of the design so you can evaluate functionality for your self.
Similar to the original Steve Dennis design there are no knobs on the bottom of the insert.
The .stl file would be good !

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

View attachment 8940

Stan
Looks great! I like it.

Ideas:
  • At the four corners it might be difficult to retrieve the counters with tweezers. It can't be done with fingers, so you will need tweezers. But there is no space for letting them "grab" the counters.
  • Of course, with this sort of density, you will not be able to stick in any labels with a readable font size. This might become an issue for counters of different functions on each side, which is the case for some information counters especially. You might see the "front" function but may be desperately looking for the invisible "rear" function without any labels helping you.
Question:
- What is the cost per insert?

von Marwitz

Jacksons

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks great! I like it.

Ideas:
  • At the four corners it might be difficult to retrieve the counters with tweezers. It can't be done with fingers, so you will need tweezers. But there is no space for letting them "grab" the counters.
  • Of course, with this sort of density, you will not be able to stick in any labels with a readable font size. This might become an issue for counters of different functions on each side, which is the case for some information counters especially. You might see the "front" function but may be desperately looking for the invisible "rear" function without any labels helping you.
Question:
- What is the cost per insert?

von Marwitz
I am not selling the units but the last time I had some printed at a contract service it was $5-6 each. They are not cheap but it is less than $0.50 if you have your own 3D printer that you can tie up for 3-4 hrs per insert.

Stan

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I am not selling the units but the last time I had some printed at a contract service it was $5-6 each. They are not cheap but it is less than $0.50 if you have your own 3D printer that you can tie up for 3-4 hrs per insert.

Stan
Thanks for your feedback. This is very interesting.

I reckon if one has patience for but a few years, prices will have gone down significantly and 3D-printers improved so that this might become a very interesting option!

von Marwitz

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Thanks for your feedback. This is very interesting.

I reckon if one has patience for but a few years, prices will have gone down significantly and 3D-printers improved so that this might become a very interesting option!

von Marwitz
I am wondering the same thing. I'm not sure how cheap 3D printing on demand will get; my understanding is that a significant part of the "cost" is that it's pretty slow, so anybody trying to setup a business for this will have to take this into account.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
If you had enough people willing to buy, you could have a mold made and do this with injection plastic. The molds are hella-expensive though (thousands of dollars). I looked into it with James Taylor at one point. The price doesn't work out unless you can get to ~10K inserts printed. I don't even think Olli's set would help reach a 10K need. Going Stan's route, you're looking $80+ to fill one tray. Printing at home is a cheaper option, but the printers are expensive (thousands) or risky (printer kits can be had for as little as $250, but are a fire hazard). As much as I would like some of these, I had to pass. Makes me sad too. -- jim

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
If you had enough people willing to buy, you could have a mold made and do this with injection plastic. The molds are hella-expensive though (thousands of dollars). I looked into it with James Taylor at one point. The price doesn't work out unless you can get to ~10K inserts printed. I don't even think Olli's set would help reach a 10K need.
Yeah, even disregarding the logistical problem of gathering the orders for everybody, and then sending them out to them, it's not going to happen - not on this scale. This is typically where on-demand 3D printing might end up making a difference, but right now it's still likely to remain too expensive.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

View attachment 8940

Stan
Nice Job Stan! I'm glad someone got value out of it!

I have done one exactly like the one you show, but if you counters are clipped (clipped too much) they tend to spin around and get stuck so I don't personally like it.

I have also done several with some 5/8 and 1/2 inch in the same insert. Not sure if I like them either but there are some nice uses for them.

Jacksons

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice Job Stan! I'm glad someone got value out of it!

I have done one exactly like the one you show, but if you counters are clipped (clipped too much) they tend to spin around and get stuck so I don't personally like it.

I have also done several with some 5/8 and 1/2 inch in the same insert. Not sure if I like them either but there are some nice uses for them.
Steve,

I would like to see the configuration you had with a mix of 5/8” and 1/2” counters out of curiosity.
I do thank you for posting your design so that I and others could benefit!

Stan

Jacksons

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The .stl file would be good !
Attached is the STl file of the 7x5 array shown. I am not sure that the forum allows posting a stl file so if some one has an alternate site where I can post let me know.
Use at your own risk. I have only printed 1 so far on a hobby printer from a friend but am about to make an order from a contract printer since it meets my requirements.

Stan

Attachments

Jacksons

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Attached is the STl file of the 7x5 array shown. I am not sure that the forum allows posting a stl file so if some one has an alternate site where I can post let me know.
Use at your own risk. I have only printed 1 so far on a hobby printer from a friend but am about to make an order from a contract printer since it meets my requirements.

Stan
zip file of stl

Attachments

CrosleyPup

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the file.
Just loaded it up on my printer and it will take about 6 hours to print and use about $.62 worth of filament.

Bill