Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
French 25mm m. 1934 AT. It appears to be missing not just tyres but the shield attached to the lower carriage.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are your recent photos, all from the LBC area? Pretty cool place it seems. Like a depot spot for film props?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I'd wonder about that. The drive sprocket teeth stick through the centre of the tracks whilst both the M1 CC (rubber pads) and CLT-3 (plain steel tracks) the drive sprocket teeth engaged the edges. The photo shows a drive sprocket with 1 toothed disk/rim, whilst the M1 and CTL-3 had 2 toothed rims. The vehicular shape of the CTL series was nothing like in the photo.

However I did find a M1 CC version, the M1E3 which used similar vertical volute suspension units but used tracks, drive and idler sprockets that looked like those used on M2/M3 halftracks. That design had a centred toothed drive sprocket. That modification was suggested by one of the founders of Marmon-Harrington, which may be the source of the confusion with the Marmon-Harrington CTL-3.

See 2/3 way down on page: http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2017/04/combat-car-m1-armour-for-american.html

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Top: PzJg 35R(f), GVN 44
Bottom: 7.5cm PaK 40, GON 10

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Panhard AML-90 aka AML-246C. About 20 bought to support Irish UNFICYP and UNIFIL peacekeeping forces in Cyprus and Lebanon along with 2 batches of 16 AML-60 each.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Panhard AML-90 aka AML-246C. About 20 bought to support Irish UNFICYP and UNIFIL peacekeeping forces in Cyprus and Lebanon along with 2 batches of 16 AML-60 each.
they say the 90mm HEAT round is capable of defeating a T-72 MBT armor, and easily capable of defeating T-62 and T-64 armor. What's your thoughts on that, Paul?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
they say the 90mm HEAT round is capable of defeating a T-72 MBT armor, and easily capable of defeating T-62 and T-64 armor. What's your thoughts on that, Paul?
My knowledge of current armour is spotty at best and especially with regard to '70s+ composite armour and modern AT rounds. The only thing I do know is the South Africans KOed a few T-54/55 and someone a T-62 in, I think, Chad. The Israelis tackled M-47s and M-48s. I got the impression that such kills were a bit difficult. One definite drawback was the primitive fire control system, more WW2 than '60s or '70s.

As for T-72, I have no good idea. The problem with T-72 and T-80 is that the levels of protection varied greatly. Most of the exported early T-72 were "monkey models" and lacked the ceramic infilling layer for the turret. In addition the 125mm export ammo was usually 10-20 years behind what was issued to Soviet units.

For a '60s era light armoured car it could deal with all WW2 or '50s-early '70s designs. Once composite and reactive armour became common then it would be limited to tackling light AFVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.