LATW in Crest

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Suppose a unit in Crest Status wants to fire an LATW, to the area-fire side of the Crest counter. B20.94 says any Infantry unit firing to the non-protected side must use Area Fire. C13.1 says LATW may never use Area Target Type. However, Area Target Type is not the same as Area Fire, they are two different but similar things. C13.1 further says LATW use their own hit table with the modifiers spelled out by the red (now green) "L". Area Fire does not appear there with an "L". Therefore it seems to me that there is no penalty for taking such a shot. Seems odd, maybe a gap in the rules, but that's what I'm able to find. Thoughts?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
See C.4
C.4 ORDNANCE AREA FIRE: Ordnance Area Fire never halves the FP effect of any hit. Instead, any shot affected by any provision of Area Fire caused by the target's status uses the Case K To Hit DRM (6.2). Fire during the AFPh is represented by use of To Hit Cases B/C as applicable. An AFPh attack vs a concealed (Area) target uses To Hit DRM B/C as applicable, plus Case K. If the firer's status would impose Area Fire (e.g., Pinned, LATW firing from shallow stream, etc.), Case D applies (5.4). See also 3.53.
5.4 CASE D; PINNED FIRER: Any ordnance weapon whose firer is under the effects of a PIN counter must add the +2 DRM of Case D to its To Hit DR and forfeits any Multiple ROF. Firers under the effect of Area Fire (e.g., LATW firing from shallow stream) also add the +2 DRM for each instance. See also A7.81-.82.

Effectively you can fire but get a +2 to hit.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Area Fire does not appear there with an "L".
In my C6 TARGET-BASED HIT DETERMINATION DRM list, it says (Case K):
@L K. vs Concealed Target (or Area Fire; C.4) (C6.2) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . +2