BG Counters 23: KV1M39 753(r), KV1M41 753(r), KV1M42 753(r), Pz KV1E 755(r) & PzKV1S, Pz KV2 754(r), & StuG SU122(r)

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
29b KV1M39 753(r), KV1M41 753(r), KV1M42 753(r), Pz KV1E 755(r) & PzKV1S:
These represent Russian Vehicle Note 22, Note 23 & Note 25.
When the Wehrmacht first encountered the KV-1, they were horrified and greatly impressed with its capability to take extreme punishment from the main German tank and anti-tank guns of the time. Contrary to popular belief, there were only a handful of KV-1 tanks that were ever pressed into German service.
In 1941, the Germans had a categorizing system for those units captured from the enemy, this was an “Ebeuten” number. The number for KV tanks of all sub-types was “E I”. The overwhelming majority of these tanks were either dismantled at the roadside, or returned to the Reich for museums or testing. However, there were some KV tanks pressed into Wehrmacht service.
The earliest known Beutepanzer KV-1s, which in the German numbering system were known as the Pz.KpfW KV-1a 753 (r) (r = Russia) were deployed in the Autumn of 1941. German changes were minimal, with most Beutepanzer KV-1s retaining the original Soviet radio and equipment, however, occasionally German radios and tool sets were issued. The most interesting German acquisitions were the two OKV-1 tanks pressed into service. The Kirov works in Leningrad had manufactured six prototype flame throwing KV tanks, with a flame unit in the hull. All were used in combat, and two were subsequently pressed into Wehrmacht service after their capture.
Between 1941 and 1943, the German army likely dealt with thousands of lost KV tanks, of which perhaps several hundred were captured in working condition.
See also German Vehicle Note BG.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
29b Pz KV2 754(r):
Several of these behemoths (see Russian Vehicle Note 24 were captured in 1941, normally due to them having broken down. A couple were assigned to the forces due to be used in an invasion of Malta, Pz Abt zBV-66. Later those tanks were transmitted into the 12nd Panzer Division and were utilised in Demyansk region in 1942.
A KV-2 was used in the defence of the Krupp works at Essen, fighting against American forces.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
36a StuG SU122(r):
This represents the SU-122 (Russian Vehicle Note 32).
Although it is known the vehicle was used, there is little data on where, when and how many were pressed into service.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even MMP has had its bloopers, remember the Small Extra Large Jagdtigers or was it the other way around?
Dave Childs is still "miffed" about this one....

I bought a BVv3 when I was in Virginia and noticed it on the counter.

Asked the same question and Dave gave me a good laugh in a PM.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Sorry, I have nothing. While I have seen a fair number of SU-85 both in German camouflage and KO in original scheme with Germans around, I have seen only a handful of German sourced photos of SU-122 or SU-152. Maybe the reason is that they were most common mid to end of '43. At that stage the Germans were doing their final unsuccessful (counter) offensives and the start of their retreats, so never could hang around enough to photograph and capture them. In addition, the SUs were used in the 2nd or later echelons of attacks, so less likely to get ambushed and captured. In German '44 or '45 photos T-34, T-34/85 and IS-2 dominate and even then few enough SU-76, T-34/85 and IS-2 were taken into German service.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yessir. Here is an example "more" counter. If it looks ok, give the nod, and I will make a scad of them.

View attachment 8709

JR
This More counter is removed at the end of the Movement Phase. I like it.

I also need purple and orange ones, of course.

You do understand the basics of this game, you are not just a guy trying to get rich off suckers like me are you?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
This More counter is removed at the end of the Movement Phase. I like it.

I also need purple and orange ones, of course.
Naturally, and blue for ones removed at the end of the RPh and red for ones removed at the end of the CCPh.

You do understand the basics of this game, you are not just a guy trying to get rich off suckers like me are you?
Of course not. You want more counters; we deliver.

We have a long history of manufacturing items for needs such as this. For instance we are the largest manufacturer of round tuits, for those who need to get a round tuit before proceeding with a task. We see more counters as a natural fit with our portfolio of fine products.

JR

Last edited:

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm sorry, but "Less" is a perfectly good antonym for "More" (as is "Fewer"), but "Less" saves on ink. ;)

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I'm with Gordon on this, I've heard the phrase "more or less" innumerable times, rarely, if ever, "more or fewer".

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The reverse side has, "Even More." Frankly it's a bit of a shock to hear that you might prefer fewer counters to even more counters.

JR

Last edited: