Missing Counter Series: IPM Exempt

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The CPVA squads and halfsquads must either use Infantry Platoon Movement, be exempt from IPM, or take an IPM TC. The list of IPM exemptions is longer than the list of exemptions for avoiding the Viet Nam era draft. It is fairly common that no unit has to use IPM, at least so far in my experience. This leads to a tendency to forget about IPM and the IPM TC, especially as the game goes on. To help weakening memories I think it might be a good idea to have a counter for IPM exempt. Using them would force the CPVA player to think about whether the unit has to take a take a IPM TC or is exempt. As he moves units, he can declare an IPM group, place an IPM exempt counter or take the IPM TC each time. No more overlooking the IPM TC.

The counters would have something like the following printed on them, using the front and back as necessary:

IPM EXEMPT (squad/halfsquad)
N/A crew, SMC
AE, Sapper, Commando, Fanatic, FT, DC
Move ≤ 1 Locn
Move w/ Leader
Enter from offboard
First locn/MF: Sewer, cave, complex, tunnel, conveyance
Dismount
Move towards/adj to target: Known enemy MMC/vehicle ≤ 4 hex, friendly conveyance, VC hex/locn/bldg, exitable board edge

To reduce the amount of material printed on the IPM Exempt counter, CPVA DC and FT should have "IPM Exempt" printed on them. But it may be too late for that.

Someone I sounded out about this suggested that it might be better to have an IPM non-exempt counter as it would apply to fewer cases. I am open to that too.

JR

previous in series

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
The CPVA squads and halfsquads must either use Infantry Platoon Movement, be exempt from IPM, or take an IPM TC. The list of IPM exemptions is longer than the list of exemptions for avoiding the Viet Nam era draft. It is fairly common that no unit has to use IPM, at least so far in my experience. This leads to a tendency to forget about IPM and the IPM TC, especially as the game goes on. To help weakening memories I think it might be a good idea to have a counter for IPM exempt. Using them would force the CPVA player to think about whether the unit has to take a take a IPM TC or is exempt. As he moves units, he can declare an IPM group, place an IPM exempt counter or take the IPM TC each time. No more overlooking the IPM TC.

The counters would have something like the following printed on them, using the front and back as necessary:

N/A crew, SMC
Move ≤ 1 Locn
Move w/ Leader
Enter from offboard
Dismount
Move towards/adj to target: Known enemy MMC/vehicle ≤ 4 hex, friendly conveyance, VC hex/locn/bldg, exitable board edge

To reduce the amount of material printed on the IPM Exempt counter, CPVA DC and FT should have "IPM Exempt" printed on them. But it may be too late for that.

Someone I sounded out about this suggested that it might be better to have an IPM non-exempt counter as it would apply to fewer cases. I am open to that too.

JR

previous in series
Good idea!!! Just one suggestion: As is well known, I have bad eyes and prefer 15 point type. Counters made so I could read them will be the size of a hubcap from a '64 Buick.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If "weakening memory" prevents one from easy grasp of this limited spectrum list...other games are available in the Day Room, some even over by the nurse's station as well....Nurse Ratched is there to assist you with Missing Counter Disorder Syndrome.
I have Post-its on my RAACO that says “My Counters”, on my table that says ”My Table” etc ..

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Good idea!!! Just one suggestion: As is well known, I have bad eyes and prefer 15 point type. Counters made so I could read them will be the size of a hubcap from a '64 Buick.
If we come up with a new die for cutting the counters, I believe we can alternate cutting the paper top and bottom on adjacent counters. By doing that we can create a counter that will be like a folding screen (/\/\/\/\) and we can print much more text at a much larger font. When you need to see what the counter says you simply unfold it. We could probably print the whole rule if we want.

JR

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Just put it on the back of those unused ASL module box tops and bottoms. Issue solved.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
You might want to clarify entering from off board applies only to the first impulse.

N/A crew, SMC
Move ≤ 1 Locn
Move w/ Leader
Enter from offboard
Dismount

JR

previous in series

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since it is likely that more will be exempt than not. It might be better to go with a IPM Required counter.

Seth

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm still waiting for my "Smoke Pot Fired" counter...in "MPh green", of course. Maybe we could match the green striations as a rough gauge.......

:D

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You might want to clarify entering from off board applies only to the first impulse.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Ah, you don't mean "the first impulse," you mean "the player turn of entry," as in "Enter from offboard that turn" or "Turn of offboard entry." I agree if there is space available that would be a good idea. The counter is purely a mnemonic device, and may abbreviate some facets of the rule if necessary. Another example: "Move w/ Leader" should really be "Move w/ Leader its entire MPh". The goal would be to include as much of the exemptions as possible, but although I have not tried to lay out the counter, it seems likely that sacrifices would have to be made. Think of poor @Major Issues !

Also I forgot that such a squad/halfsquad has to be Good Order. Berserk units are IPM Exempt.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
He missed some. The cartoon. The caption. The sentence. The word. The letter.

JR

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Compared to all other boardgames and wargames I know, there is just a terrible shortage of counters in ASL.

Some helpful people are trying to point this out, others are making fun of this. Unbelievable really.

At least I now have my Counter Counter, thanks to JRV.