Report and the Numbers of the 2019 ASL OPEN

David Goldman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congratulations to Curtis Brooks the 2019 ASL OPEN winner. Although runner up Wes Vaughn beat Curtis in the final round, they tied on points. The tie breaker went to Curtis (total points of defeated opponents 229 to 226). 3rd place went to Mark DeVries. Joe Celebuski was the mini tournament champion.

A smaller attendance this year. Only 31 attendees for at least one match. Two additional players came but played the campaign game (they did not finish) from Hatten In Flames. My belief is that VASL has had a negative effect on attendance. I urge all ASL players everywhere to go to a tournament. There is nothing like being in a room full of dedicated ASLers. The camaraderie, the competition, the smell... (oh well maybe ASLOK gets a little rank by Saturday but the OPEN has excellent light and ventilation).

32 out 44 possible scenarios from the scenario list had at least one playing. DTF-4 Death to Fascism was the most played scenario (6 matches). DTF-3 True Grit and RPT160 Willie und Fritz were the most one sided, both went 3-0 in favor of the Axis. Attached are the final standings (winner is bowed) and the scenario report.

I've already started planning for 2020. Next year no raffle. Next year the mini tournament will be Saturday and Sunday instead of Friday and Saturday.

Adding older well played scenarios in every round did not see a significant percentage of playings. The oldies comprised 43% of the list but they received only 25% of the scenarios played.

Once again the facilty and rooms (and convenient Bar Louie) got high marks from all who attended. Check it out for the 2020 ASL OPEN, you won't be disappointed.

Attachments

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congrats to Curtis, Wes, Mark, and Joe.
The ASL Open has always had a well-defined and strictly adhered-to scoring system, and it sounds like another great tourney.
I am hardly in a position to judge, but I would hope that the very first tie breaker in any system would be head-to-head competition.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Dave. Nice tourney as usual. My comments:
  1. As you noted on scenario list, too many oldies for my taste, much prefer the newer scenarios.
  2. I like big scenarios too, but I think some of the scenarios were too big, not really viable choices if the game were to go the distance. Especially the Sunday round needs some smaller ones, not all, but one or two.
  3. The Saturday night round needs start at 6 PM, not 7pm. Most people were done by 4 pm.
Thanks again. I had a great time.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congrats to Curtis, Wes, Mark, and Joe.
The ASL Open has always had a well-defined and strictly adhered-to scoring system, and it sounds like another great tourney.
I am hardly in a position to judge, but I would hope that the very first tie breaker in any system would be head-to-head competition.
Note: That because the points had been determined while Wes & Curtis were in the throws of their match and even a loss by Curtis would have resulted in a 1st place win for him, and owing to the fact there was a severe winter storm occurring in Chicago & the mid-west while Wes had to drive 11hrs to home & Curtis about 7hrs, they terminated their game early, (Though Curtis did say on our way home Wes would most probably have been the eventual winner anyway). Next year HAS to be Wes' year, just can't keep such a good man down from that tourney win for long.:)?

ctewks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do you think Bitter Ender being the same weekend impacted your attendance at all? I know the geographic separation is significant. I tend to agree VASL has some impact on attendance as well.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The weather definitely had an impact as the midwest was suffering through a late winter storm and if one were driving, you'd have to be quite flexible in travel plans/work. I had 10" of snow at home the night we left (a day early to ensure we'd get out before the storm hit full force). Also the slew of tournaments fairly close in dates as well as the Bitter Ender on the same weekend had an a little to do with it. However, I believe age and health of the ASL players has a big impact along with it being tax weekend (USA) for the last minute crowd or those involved with such work and it was also the weekend before Easter.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really wanted to go but with my knee still recovering I did not want to be burden on my fellow ASL'ers. So I took a pass. Hopefully next year I'll be able to make it. I do agree with Doug, way too many odie modies on the list (ya gotta stop listening to spilky and bonozak on scenario input lol)

Will try to help with a list over the year and maybe come up with Aussie balancing system while we are at it.

Scott

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Both the Open and the Bitter Ender have had either the same weekend or a week apart for years. Most of our players like the Open are within driving distance 2-6 hours if not local, coming from VA, NC, TN, SC, MD and GA. There are a few players that might attend both but generally they would fly. Not a significant factor. I recall David mentioning how local players did not show up for past Opens. We had the same situation this year with about four or five regular, local players AWOL.

We are currently discussing moving the BE close to May 8th for historical reason as well as to avoid Easter, the Open, and some common sports events in the area.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've made more than a few ASL Opens over the year but this year I just wasn't feeling it... once my brother said getting the time off was hard for him I bailed as well. We like to come to it for sure because it is drive friendly.. but this year it was also schedule for the Master's weekend :)

Scott_Blanton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We are currently discussing moving the BE close to May 8th for historical reason as well as to avoid Easter, the Open, and some common sports events in the area.
FYI, Next year Sunday May 10th is Mother's Day. I would expect that you would have to do it on the previous weekend.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, that seems odd. I beat you in the finals but you win?

@David: Interesting conjecture that VASL has a negative effect on ASL Open attendance. What do you base that on? And if it's true, I'm of a mixed opinion about whether that's a "bad" thing, as opposed to just a thing. On the one hand, I totally agree that FTF tournaments are great, and anything that builds the ASL community is to be fostered. On the other hand, IMO one doesn't want to be telling people what to do with their time or how to enjoy the game. Not accusing you of that, just saying that people's tastes vary with time and circumstances, and all one can do is what you did, saying "Hey, don't miss out on FTF tournaments either."

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Everyone has an opinion, much like everyone has a.......nose, so here is mine.

I do believe FTF tourneys can be the most fun. They are under pressure for several reasons:

1. More "local" tourneys than ever. A Brit player said that he could play in a US tourney every couple of weeks. He was not far off.

2. Vasl has siphoned off about 20% from average tourney attendence. Albany 64 to 45, Copenhagen 64 to 45, Chicago 48 to 32, Blackpool 32 to 26.....

3. Average age of tourney ASLers increased, some dropout to be expected.

So hug a TD at a tourney while you can.

Rich

fleetB17

Infantry PSG
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congrats to the winners and also to the everyone who attended and enjoyed the play at what sounds like a great extended weekend of ASL.
Sadly, I missed the last two years due to conflicting commitments on the same weekend, but I expect to attend next year with my retirement from serving in boots.
Old or new scenarios, for me, it's about enjoying the playing of ASL and I think the experience of the tourney is something everyone should experience at least once. I know it was better than what I was expecting the first time I attended.

See you next year and until then roll low and have fun.

Steve

FourDeuceMF

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alas, I was driving a U-Haul from Los Angeles to Chicago from Wednesday to Sunday, so I (and by extension, my son Travis) ended up missing this one. As great a job that Dave does in setting this thing up, I've only been able to attend 2 or 3 from the past decade-plus that I've lived in the greater Chicagoland area. Going to look forward to one of these days, actually having a lull in my work that allows this to be set aside! Perhaps next year (an appropriate Chicago response, 2016 notwithstanding!).

David Goldman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Dave. Nice tourney as usual. My comments:
  1. As you noted on scenario list, too many oldies for my taste, much prefer the newer scenarios.
  2. I like big scenarios too, but I think some of the scenarios were too big, not really viable choices if the game were to go the distance. Especially the Sunday round needs some smaller ones, not all, but one or two.
  3. The Saturday night round needs start at 6 PM, not 7pm. Most people were done by 4 pm.
Thanks again. I had a great time.
Doug and all,

I will be moving up the Friday and Saturday start times by an hour.

David

David Goldman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, good point! That would not be good for hubbies and those that fall into the category of a mummy's boy. Norman Bates comes to mind. :)
Ray, Doug,

Is the last weekend in March 2020 not a conflict in 2020 with Bitter Ender? If so, I will set the OPEN for that weekend. March Madness will be the weekend before the OPEN.

David

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
A smaller attendance this year. Only 31 attendees for at least one match. Two additional players came but played the campaign game (they did not finish) from Hatten In Flames. My belief is that VASL has had a negative effect on attendance. I urge all ASL players everywhere to go to a tournament. There is nothing like being in a room full of dedicated ASLers. The camaraderie, the competition, the smell... (oh well maybe ASLOK gets a little rank by Saturday but the OPEN has excellent light and ventilation).

32 out 44 possible scenarios from the scenario list had at least one playing. DTF-4 Death to Fascism was the most played scenario (6 matches). DTF-3 True Grit and RPT160 Willie und Fritz were the most one sided, both went 3-0 in favor of the Axis. Attached are the final standings (winner is bowed) and the scenario report.

I've already started planning for 2020. Next year no raffle. Next year the mini tournament will be Saturday and Sunday instead of Friday and Saturday.

Adding older well played scenarios in every round did not see a significant percentage of playings. The oldies comprised 43% of the list but they received only 25% of the scenarios played.
Thanks. Will you add the scenario to the ROAR ?

Lionel

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Both the Open and the Bitter Ender have had either the same weekend or a week apart for years. Most of our players like the Open are within driving distance 2-6 hours if not local, coming from VA, NC, TN, SC, MD and GA. There are a few players that might attend both but generally they would fly. Not a significant factor. I recall David mentioning how local players did not show up for past Opens. We had the same situation this year with about four or five regular, local players AWOL.

Ray,
The other event to take in to consideration is NC State's graduation weekend (my daughter graduated last year), which is normally in early May. I'm hoping to coordinate my travel schedule to swing by BE again next year.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Ray,
The other event to take in to consideration is NC State's graduation weekend (my daughter graduated last year), which is normally in early May. I'm hoping to coordinate my travel schedule to swing by BE again next year.
Doug and Alan, my main helpers, pointed this out as well as the weddings which take place in May that fill hotel ballrooms. Looks like April will not change so that the BE and the ASL Open will continue to try to coordinate dates. I appreciate your input.