Bridge LOS and Movement

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
That LOS is clear. Terrain in the target's hex in general (there are some exceptions, bypass e.g.) do not block the LOS to the target.
I guess the difference in this case is that the target is in a -1 level location and potentially underneath a solid object at ground level

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I guess the difference in this case is that the target is in a -1 level location and potentially underneath a solid object at ground level
Perhaps in reality - but not in the rules.

But then again all terrain in ASL is abstraction (more or less) - the "generic" ASL bridge probably isn't 40m wide and all the enemy units IN the depression are perhaps not hunkering down beneath the bridge. Who knows?

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Perhaps in reality - but not in the rules.

But then again all terrain in ASL is abstraction (more or less) - the "generic" ASL bridge probably isn't 40m wide and all the enemy units IN the depression are perhaps not hunkering down beneath the bridge. Who knows?
That does seem to be the case as units "under" the bridge don't get any TEM v indirect fire.

There is a bit of a mismatch though that a unit directly above it on the bridge can't peek over and see them below / 20m away in the gully but I guess you have to draw the line somewhere

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
That does seem to be the case as units "under" the bridge don't get any TEM v indirect fire.
If they are beneath a non-pontoon bridge they get a +1 TEM....

B6.32:
" Indirect Fire against a non-pontoon bridge/targets on or beneath that bridge has a TEM of +1 regardless of the LOF ...."

There is a bit of a mismatch though that a unit directly above it on the bridge can't peek over and see them below / 20m away in the gully but I guess you have to draw the line somewhere
Agree - I guess in reality it probably would depend on what type of bridge is represented....but as you say...the line has to be drawn somewhere...

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Roads never block LOS. Bridges only block LOS from the bridge location to below [B6.2]. You got rules references where you read it?

JR
Just an irrelevant realism argument. Never dawned on my to think it was clear.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Just an irrelevant realism argument. Never dawned on my to think it was clear.
Sometimes the artwork and the game mechanisms are important, and sometimes they're deceptive. A unit in a hex is not necessarily literally at the center of the hex. The hex center dot is a convenient place to trace LOS to, but shouldn't be taken too literally unless the rules say it should. So while the artwork and the mechanics of tracing LOS say that LOS runs into the bridge approach, the rules do not. In the end the rules win.

JR